Can Leechers leech metalminds?

Koloss17

My question here is simple. I’ve seen the claim at some point in here, but I don’t know whether it’s true. And the coppperming doesn’t seem to have much on this. It says that they can leech (warbreaker) 

Spoiler

Awakener’s breaths

Which I presume would also apply to their 

Spoiler

Awakened objects.

If that’s the case, since that functions a lot like metalminds, I’d guess it’s work. 

If leechers can leech metalminds, that’d be huge. That would make leechers a lot more powerful than I had assumed.

26 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

My question here is simple. I’ve seen the claim at some point in here, but I don’t know whether it’s true. And the coppperming doesn’t seem to have much on this. It says that they can leech (warbreaker) 

Hide contents

Awakener’s breaths

Which I presume would also apply to their 

Hide contents

Awakened objects.

If that’s the case, since that functions a lot like metalminds, I’d guess it’s work. 

If leechers can leech metalminds, that’d be huge. That would make leechers a lot more powerful than I had assumed.

Weve got RAFO:

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)
#6 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Could a Leecher take away stores in a metalmind?

Brandon Sanderson

You’ll have to find out.  That’s a RAFO.

We have another WoB (albeit a paraphrase) that said that a Leecher can target metalminds but they'd take longer.

Kaymyth

I asked the question about chromium vs a Compounder with both Invested and un-Invested metals in both their stomach and piercings.

Brandon Sanderson

What it boils down to is this:

1) Yes, the piercings will get burned off.

2) The non-Invested metals go before the Invested ones. He said that because Invested metals are harder to affect, it takes a little extra time and effort to get them to burn off. So a Leecher trying to clean out a Compounder would have to get a good grip and hang on for a few seconds.

3) Chromium burns about as quickly as duralumin, so if you're trying to burn off a lot of metals, it is possible to run out of chromium before your target is clean. This would probably only be an issue when dealing with larger pieces (like jewelry) rather than your standard metal-flakes-in-the-stomach deal.

ConQuest 46 (May 22, 2015)

More WoBs relating to Leechers and other magic systems, tagged for Warbreaker/Stormlight material and just length:

Spoiler

Leeching Breath from someone or killing a Lifeless? Totally possible.

Podman36

How effective would a Leecher be at draining Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

They could be fairly effective.

Questioner

How significant would the difference be between Breath and Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

That, I'll RAFO for now, because we're actually getting the actual numbers. We have certain people working on a project for that.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Podman36

If [Leeching] would work with Breath, would it work with Lifeless? Could you Leech a Lifeless?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

On the other hand, trying to Leech a Shardblade would be very hard (and with the other WoB about how fast chromium burns, you'd probably need an enormous amount of it) and trying to Leech Nightblood would end.... poorly.

Questioner

If you were a Leecher, could you destroy a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to RAFO that for now, let's just say that it would be incredibly difficult if it were possible, and I'm not going to even say if it is. But that kind of power... 

Questioner

Let's just say they were burning duralumin as well.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that the Investiture in a Shardblade is much greater than your average Allomancer, but... This type of thing is not unheard of in the Cosmere. The larkin, the Leechers, and Nightblood all have a similar sort of thing going on. Destroying a Shardblade would be really hard. And Investiture resists other forms of Investiture, so.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

Questioner

What would happen if a Leecher touched Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

*nervous laughter* If a Leecher touched Nightblood the Leecher would be dead. That would not end well.

Questioner

For the Leecher.

Brandon Sanderson

For the Leecher.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

I wasn't able to find a WoB about a Leecher and Type-II entities but with the others we can assume the same principle holds and A-Chromium would work on them. Likewise we don't have one on Returned but we do know a Larkin would kill a Returned and they work on the same principle as A-Chromium so a Leecher would probably be lethally dangerous to a Returned too.

Edited by Weltall

32 minutes ago, Weltall said:

We have another WoB (albeit a paraphrase) that said that a Leecher can target metalminds but they'd take longer.

More WoBs relating to Leechers and other magic systems, tagged for Warbreaker/Stormlight material and just length:

Hide contents

Leeching Breath from someone or killing a Lifeless? Totally possible.

On the other hand, trying to Leech a Shardblade would be very hard (and with the other WoB about how fast chromium burns, you'd probably need an enormous amount of it) and trying to Leech Nightblood would end.... poorly.

I wasn't able to find a WoB about a Leecher and Type-II entities but with the others we can assume the same principle holds and A-Chromium would work on them. Likewise we don't have one on Returned but we do know a Larkin would kill a Returned and they work on the same principle as A-Chromium so a Leecher would probably be lethally dangerous to a Returned too.

Which makes Kelsier absolutely terrifying...

It has been stated with enough training, determination and strength a seeker could "hear" the storing and tapping of a metalmind. So, I believe, this to be entirely possible. Of course, as you can tell by the other comments, this has neither been confirmed nor denied. And, if it were to be possible, I believe the same thing would apply for Nicrobursts, forcing a Feruchemist to tap their metalminds.