Unpopular Rhythm of War opinions

Frustration

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

100% agree bad move

what's wrong with the corrupted ones?

Just makes Rlain even more the odd one out and segregates him further imo, he should of been the one to bond the sibling, and if not that then same type as Venli (if wasnt going to be a windrunner)

not sure if some of these are unpopular but

1) really liked the climax for kal, because it was really different. i mean, WoK, he runs in and saves dalinar, WoR, he flies in and fights szeth, OB, he battles amaram, but RoW, it wasn't a challenging battle for kal, but just, acceptance, and really tender. i'm all for a good fight scene, but this was a well done and wonderful shift

2) still want a moash redemption arc. he definitely did wrong, but still, it would be nice

3) i agree, not enough levity and jokes from characters.

4) not enough dalinar and jasnah. they were just, excluded.

Its hard to distinguish unpopular opinion from criticism.

Are majority of readers fine with Teft not leaving Urithiru, then being unconscious for majority of the book, then getting killed, while also being used as the only major reason for Kaladin to be a Spider-Men for like 500-600 pages? If yes, then im not okay with this. Feels like a lazy way to make Kaladin do his plot stuff in the way Brandon wanted him to be. He effectively turned Teft into just a plot device.

17 hours ago, Harbour said:

Are majority of readers fine with Teft not leaving Urithiru, then being unconscious for majority of the book, then getting killed, while also being used as the only major reason for Kaladin to be a Spider-Men for like 500-600 pages? If yes, then im not okay with this. Feels like a lazy way to make Kaladin do his plot stuff in the way Brandon wanted him to be. He effectively turned Teft into just a plot device.

I agree with this.

Actually find islt similiar to what Adolin has become for Shallan

21 hours ago, Ahriman said:

I guess another one of my unpopular opinions is that I like the lack of humour. I just don't usually think Sanderson is that funny.

I don't agree that Sanderson isn't (sometimes) funny, but I'm also fine with less humor. I don't feel that there needs to bee TOO many comedic moments. It's a dark book, and I'm ok with that. 

23 hours ago, Quick Ben said:

Just makes Rlain even more the odd one out and segregates him further imo, he should of been the one to bond the sibling, and if not that then same type as Venli (if wasnt going to be a windrunner)

I agree that Navani bonding the Sibling seems off. But, I don't think Rlain should have bonded them. It should have been Dabbid!!!

21 hours ago, Harbour said:

I completely agree with this "unpopular opinion" lol. Not happy with Teft's story line in this one. But his ultimate arch will be redeemed when his soulcast body is awakened in the next book and we get Zombie Teft shenanigans. 

1) Khal saving his father was lame, and the joke about being precise and timely was utter cringe. I cant believe THAT was the scene Brandon had wanted to write for 10 years. Really? A damsel out the window trope and then an out of place quip? It really stole the high I had from the Tien scene (which was beautiful). 

2) None of part 1 needed to happen. It drags so hard in the re-read. We should have started the book at part 2 with a couple of scenes brought over (like the 9 and the Airship). This would have freed up "Part 6" to be about Venli and her people and delving into what Stoneshamans are and what Casmfiends are. Venlie should not have ended on a cliffhanger as she never really got to do anything. 

Edited by teknopathetic

On 03/02/2021 at 1:17 AM, Harrycrapper said:

I knew I was forgetting something here. Venli is a failure of a character in my opinion. I feel absolutely nothing for her and can't help but feel her storyline would have been much more interesting if Eshonai were in her place. Moash at least inspires hatred or disgust, but Venli inspires nothing and no one.

I feel like Venli will grow on me. At the moment I find her to be pretty objectionable as a person, but I do think that's the point. I think we'll see her come into her own in the next book (or even the back five), since a lot of her appearances have been to set up her role for later. That's the impression I get anyway. 

10 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

1) Khal saving his father was lame, and the joke about being precise and timely was utter cringe. I cant believe THAT was the scene Brandon had wanted to write for 10 years. Really? A damsel out the window trope and then an out of place quip? It really stole the high I had from the Tien scene (which was beautiful).

Yeah, I felt the same way

10 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

2) None of part 1 needed to happen. It drags so hard in the re-read. We should have started the book at part 2 with a couple of scenes brought over (like the 9 and the Airship). This would have freed up "Part 6" to be about Venli and her people and delving into what Stoneshamans are and what Casmfiends are. Venlie should not have ended on a cliffhanger as she never really got to do anything.

Hmm... Part 1 and the rest of the book do have a bit of disconnect looking at it that way, but I like Part 1 a lot. Venli trying to wash her hands off the whole thing was... weird narratively, but thematically quite suitable imo. Regardless, she really did not feel like a focus character in the book at all and that is a bit of a problem. Also we got so little about the Willshapers! 

18 hours ago, PleatherDuster said:

I agree that Navani bonding the Sibling seems off. But, I don't think Rlain should have bonded them. It should have been Dabbid!!!

I would of been equally happy with Dabbid bonding the sibling, but Navani bonding the sibling was wrong for many reasons especially since she spent the book practically colluding with the "enemy"

It seems unpopular depending on where I look, but Shallan and Adolin’s plot was easily the most interesting part of the book for me. The Urithiru plot felt too self-contained for me, as much as I enjoyed it. The Shadesmar plot made me feel like the world was bigger, gave me more minor characters to love, and had some genuinely excellent moments. I found myself brought to tears on a reread as Formless emerged, and Maya’s “WE CHOSE” made me feel everything.

I think a large portion of my love for this plot came from my identifying with both Adolin and Shallan. Adolin’s earnest drive is inspiring to me, and his conflict with his father while he still strives to make Dalinar proud is something I heavily relate to. I certainly can’t say I struggle with DID myself, but Shallan’s struggles were portrayed in such a way that I related to her too. The idea of repressing the darkness within myself is something I see a frankly disturbing amount of the time, and wearing many different faces is something I’m experiencing as well, her integration of Veil an exaggerated version of me learning to let myself be genuine.

Perhaps that’s unpopular, I’m not entirely sure, but it’s my opinion nonetheless.

1. Navani shouldn't have bonded the Sibling, Rlain should have.

2. Hoid/Wit does not need to be romancing anyone for two reasons. The first is that he is extremely old. The second is that it just isn't part of his character. He is the guy who is everywhere and nowhere at once. He knows almost everything and has wide goals. Romance isn't a part of who he is.

3. I wish Moash hadn't lost his eyesight. Now he can be viewed as a victim, not as an aggressor.

4. Raboniel should have been more trusting with Navani and the two of them should have actually worked together.

7 hours ago, trav said:

I am glad Teft got killed. never liked that character.

don't take this the wrong way but how could you!?!?!?

on a more serious note, why. lots of people like him, and he makes huge character growth over the books. he's one of my favorite characters, and i'm honestly intrigued by why you dislike him

more unpopular opinions

1. i do think that part one was important, as it introduced you to the book and setting after the timeskip.

2. i am a fan of navani bonding the sibling, because others wouldn't fit a scholarly spren, and she can adjust her fabrials, and learn more with help from the sibling. but dabbid still needs a spren

3. i liked when kal saved his father, because it's him seeing he couldn't save the others, but there was someone who he could save, and the joke was nice, it made me laugh the way you laugh when a character forces laughter at a joke, and on top of this, it was showing kals newfound levity with his self forgiveness. it was there to show a few things, including kal forgiving his father for saying that only one could be right. the levity didn't remove the tenderness of the vision with tien, and instead made the moment seem more realistic.

I feel like no one would find Navani bonding The Sibling unpopular if there wasn’t a build up to it of “I don’t want to bond a human.” Most theories from OB guessed Navani would bond The Sibling. I think Brandon put the Rlain piece in there to create some questioning because Navani had been the obvious theory for a while. 

3 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

I feel like no one would find Navani bonding The Sibling unpopular if there wasn’t a build up to it of “I don’t want to bond a human.” Most theories from OB guessed Navani would bond The Sibling. I think Brandon put the Rlain piece in there to create some questioning because Navani had been the obvious theory for a while. 

I think I would have been happier with Rlain or Dabid. Or maybe if there was a twist like the Sibling sometimes bonded more that one person at a time? That would have been neat. 

Edited by teknopathetic

4 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Kaladin figuring out things, then dealing with them in like not a violent way is way more interesting character than Kaladin-the killing machine.

Him deciding to find the lost guy, bossing ardents around and setting upo therapy courses was way more fun and interesting to read about than him killing Parshendi #204353.

Is looking forward to Kal killing Parshendi #204354

3 hours ago, Harbour said:

Kaladin figuring out things, then dealing with them in like not a violent way is way more interesting character than Kaladin-the killing machine.

Him deciding to find the lost guy, bossing ardents around and setting upo therapy courses was way more fun and interesting to read about than him killing Parshendi #204353.

I looked back at previous books and confirmed that - Kaladin making the life of Bridge 4 better in TWoK, Kaladin organizing Kholin's guard in WoR and Kaladin finding out who Azure is while befriending Kholinar's soldiers in OB were the most interesting parts about Kaladin's PoV.

Id prefer Brandon to shift Kaladin's focus from active battles to mental health clinic set up and ambassadory things.

I cannot agree with this more.

The Pursuer was an extraordinarily unimpressive villain. He felt more like the larger of two bumbling henchmen ('cause you always have the fat/muscular/dumb one, and the thin/wiry/clever one) than a relentless killer. 

On 2/8/2021 at 5:04 AM, trav said:

I am glad Teft got killed. never liked that character.

Ho boy, unpopular opinions indeed...