Khriss & Nazh in BoM

AquaRegia

Just finished Khriss' cameo in BoM (the dance scene with Wax); shortly after, an ad shows up in The New Ascendancy (New Seran) broadsheet:

Do Your Metal Tools Speak to You? Your neighbors probably don't want to hear about it.  But WE do!  Visit 27 Ralen Place.  Ask for K. or N.  Bring the talking metal with you.

My first thought was that they were looking for Awakened objects like Nightblood... but I guess it might make more sense if they are searching for unkeyed metalminds.  But do they "talk to you?"  Are they looking for the metal objects, or for the PEOPLE who are hearing metal talk?  I'm puzzled.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

I thought of Nightblood, the worldhopping soul-devouring sword too but now that I think about it...

it could also be referring to a Shardblade, right?

You mean like Wyndle the Shardfork?  LOL

"I wanted to get some work in the garden done... but that rusting rake just won't shut up!"

In this sense, it could only be a living spren bond, right?  Do we have any reason to think that can happen on Scadrial?  I thought we were confident that spren can't leave Roshar.  Regular Shardblades don't talk, plus, a deadeye Shardblade would always be a blade.  Which IS certainly a "tool", but not what the average civilian thinks of when the word "tool" is mentioned.  The ad showed a picture of a hammer saying "hello!"  I do love the idea of a rake that talks your ear off.

I think it might make more sense if they are actually looking for Hemalurgic spikes, which might be allowing Harmony, or Trell, or (insert godlike being here) to speak to the holder.  We know Khriss is deeply interested in Hemalurgy and thinks it will be of great use in the Cosmere.

3 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

You mean like Wyndle the Shardfork?  LOL

"I wanted to get some work in the garden done... but that rusting rake just won't shut up!"

In this sense, it could only be a living spren bond, right?  Do we have any reason to think that can happen on Scadrial?  I thought we were confident that spren can't leave Roshar.  Regular Shardblades don't talk, plus, a deadeye Shardblade would always be a blade.  Which IS certainly a "tool", but not what the average civilian thinks of when the word "tool" is mentioned.  The ad showed a picture of a hammer saying "hello!"  I do love the idea of a rake that talks your ear off.

I think it might make more sense if they are actually looking for Hemalurgic spikes, which might be allowing Harmony, or Trell, or (insert godlike being here) to speak to the holder.  We know Khriss is deeply interested in Hemalurgy and thinks it will be of great use in the Cosmere.

Considering Khriss and Kell got along fairly well, I’m rather suspicious of her interest in Hemalurgy. I wonder who her study partner might be...

• 4 months later...
On 8.2.2021 at 5:18 PM, Honorless said:

I thought of Nightblood, the worldhopping soul-devouring sword too but now that I think about it...

it could also be referring to a Shardblade, right?

It could, but the likelier explanation is an unsealed coppermind recording only voice. And we may wonder what owning a ghost gun or its magazine like in the Ghastly Gondola may feel like.