Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

She's not wearing black, actually, only the mask is black. Her dress is a deep navy blue. 

In truth, Riva would have been rather sad if Jassir was turned over to her for... safe keeping. That did not mean, however, that - in the unlikely case that it did happen - she wouldn't do her job with the expected gusto of someone in her position. Such musings of "what-ifs" though, seemed useless to the Raveness, so she only spent a moment considering it. Her facial expression betrayed none of her thought process, particularly behind her flamboyant raven mask. 

"Well, you never know," said Riva. "Perhaps I'm partial to a lemon yellow or obnoxious pink. All my dresses come from the king, so I have little say in the matter. For as stunning as I may look in a colorful gown, I'm afraid Ivian has more on his agenda than to make me look stunning."

Okay, so I finally got my character together and have worked up enough courage to dive into this rp. 

My character:

Spoiler

Name: Aelyon Hvenkar

Appearance: A striking 5'10 female with hip length straight black hair, dark eyes and a slim figure. She bas thin lips, high cheekbones and prefers immodest clothing. 

Details: She married the Lord of House Hvenkar who, despite being new to the court, ran a fairly powerful household. That was until Lord Hvenkar became an alcoholic and forgot how to function as a human being. 

Aelyon is now trying to lift House Hvenkar out of the rubble by riding the tides of politics, trying her hardest to not get stuck in a rip. 

Personality: She is an a woman of intellect, confident and trustworthy. She has been trained from birth on how to be a lady and run a proper household. 

Skills: extremely good with makeup and more than proficient with disguise. Sje is also a trained assassin. 

Aelyon held her glass aloft as she gazed around the room, this was the first ball she had attended in months, and the first ball she had ever attended without her Lord Husband Hvenkar. She had stayed on the downlow after her disgrace of a husband had brought their house to practical bankruptcy with his alcoholism. 

What she needed was someone to catch her up on how the political had changed while she'd been cowering in disgrace, maybe she could brave chatting near the high table, or maybe it would be wiser to seek out the jester. She'd noticed the disapproving looks people had given her when she entered the building, the court goers wanted her to know that Hvenkar was no longer the powerhouse it once was; that was the problem with this court, in order to survive, you had to take every opportunity to squash a rival and make sure that they stayed squashed. Getting house Hvenkar back into business would be no easy task. 

Edited by Lecky Twig

8 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

“Well, you never know," said Riva. "Perhaps I'm partial to a lemon yellow or obnoxious pink. All my dresses come from the king, so I have little say in the matter. For as stunning as I may look in a colorful gown, I'm afraid Ivian has more on his agenda than to make me look stunning."

“Shame,” Jassir said, looking around at the bustle of activity as more nobles joined the ball. “You seem to accomplish that well enough already, though, so I wouldn’t fret. My, my, is that Lady Hvenkar? Tsk tsk, poor thing.”

He kept his eyes on the noblewoman. That was someone who’d had her mask, their safety as wife of a powerful Lord, ripped away, and now she was back. Months later. Jassir had to commend the tenacity of that, and he almost decided he wouldn’t mock her. Not tonight.

“Well, I best get back to my theatrics,” he said, turning to the Raveness and winking at her. “Don’t you worry, I’ll make sure all of Mendahar knows your colour preferences by the end of tonight. Meanwhile, you just stay here, do your thing. Look intimidating.”

He paused. “Must get lonely, not being able to interact with anyone normally,” he mused. “Though I suppose that goes for me, too.”

Well, Fallapade, I said that Riva was walking over "the autumnal forest floor" soooo... I don't think it's quiiiiiite winter yet. 

Also... MMMM, Jassir is my favorite character. :lol: I was planning on just drawing Riva, but that jester has stolen my heart. Here's my drawing plan. 

IMG_1226.jpg.984045a8ece5419919aa769d4b13664d.jpg

Riva raised an eyebrow at the multi-colored Jester - even though he couldn't see it beneath her feathered mask - a spear of ice embracing her heart at the hard truth. It was difficult. Having to hide in the hallways, then live behind a mask in the ballroom. The only people who got to see her being her were her victims and though that was good fun, it wasn't quite... real. She smiled, blood-red lips spreading kindly. The otherwise kind expression, however, looked ominous with her beaked mask. "Yes," she said, voice musing. "It must be lonely indeed..." 

But then, the reason she liked being feared was because only people who were bold would approach her. And bold, daring people were the only ones worth interacting with. 

1 minute ago, Random Bystander said:

Seraphina continued to eat and read at the same time. She didn't care that she was alone, she was enjoying the book (a fantasy novel) too much. She was going to like it here. They had never had parties like this back home, so it was a welcome change. 

A random person walked up to her. "Ahh, the Iconar Collective. A masterpiece in writing, yes, yes."

23 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

A random person walked up to her. "Ahh, the Iconar Collective. A masterpiece in writing, yes, yes."

Seraphina is too absorbed in her book to notice.

As Seraphina is reading, she is having a hard time not reacting to parts of the book. She is normally alone when reading, and usually is able to start yelling at the book, or laughing, or groaning, or crying whenever she feels like it. She can't do any of that here, because she doesn't want anyone to think she is insane. Although, she does let out a snicker on accident. 

Just now, Condensation said:

Aliénor took a deep breath, then walked gracefully across the floor and toward the king. As she walked, stares and whispers followed her - not all good nor all bad. She reached her betrothed and curtsied deeply. "Your Majesty."

@Channelknight Fadran

The king leaned forwards. "Alienor."

Caden returned to the ballroom with a mask on, and he had left his bodyguards behind because of what the king said. He started to walk through the crowd, heading to the table that he always sat at. When he arrived at the table, he saw that it was empty as it should have been. Just as he was about to approach and sit down, hopefully scaring off the trespasser, he saw someone approaching the King. He moved into a better position to watch.

After sizing up this princess who was betrothed to the king, Caden turned back to the subject of his table. When he saw that the person was still there, he clenched his fists and grit his teeth. He walked towards the table and decided to just sit down, whoever she was, that's probably be more than enough to get to her leave with her book and snacks. Caden's footsteps made distinct and piercing metal clinks as he approached the table, pulled out a chair, and sat down without saying a word.

Caden himself was a tall and well built man, who only accentuated these features by wearing bone white shoulder pauldrons that made him look larger and more imposing. The rest of his clothes were of a stylized military cut that while it made it clear he was a noble, it still made it clear that he was a military man.

@Random Bystander

Edited by The Ward's Guard

Will Dellré slipped into the ballroom from the washroom, although he hadn't entered it from the same door. He had left a bundle behind a stealthily removed tile and he was fairly certain no one would see it. He, however, had lots to do tonight. He headed for the center of the ballroom, keeping a look out for any ladies sitting alone.

57 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

After sizing up this princess who was betrothed to the king, Caden turned back to the subject of his table. When he saw that the person was still there, he clenched his fists and grit his teeth. He walked towards the table and decided to just sit down, whoever she was, that's probably be more than enough to get to her leave with her book and snacks. Caden's footsteps made distinct and piercing metal clinks as he approached the table, pulled out a chair, and sat down without saying a word.

Caden himself was a tall and well built man, who only accentuated these features by wearing bone white shoulder pauldrons that made him look larger and more imposing. The rest of his clothes were of a stylized military cut that while it made it clear he was a noble, it still made it clear that he was a military man.

@Random Bystander

Seraphina looked up. She saw the man without the mask sit down at her table. He seemed like a militaristic noble. She felt confused. Politics had never made sense to her. She was a King's Lady, so she stood her ground. (Or should it be sat her ground?) She continued reading her novel and eating her snacks. She still had plenty left, and would not run out anytime soon. She would not budge when it came to bullies. Or idiots. She wasn't sure which category this man fell into.