Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Now, now. No need to talk about that at a party. Go ahead! Enjoy yourself!"

Caden glared at the partygoers, "as your wish my lord." He turned around with another flair of his cape, spreading the scent of smoke and mud that came off of him around the room, and walked towards one of the side doors. He had his body guards close behind him, and his trailed a small amount of mud behind him as he walked.

Seraphina was at the side of the room, piling a plate with snacks. She was wearing a long, simple, dark green dress with gold embroidery, black flats, and a green and gold mask. She had a black handbag with a book and a knife inside. She walked over to a table, sat down, and pulled her book out. She started reading and eating simultaneously. She occasionally looked up, making sure she did her job correctly. She saw lots of people, one of which wasn't even wearing a mask. 

10 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Well, Jassir, you'd make fun of me no matter what I wear. The fact that you noticed my shoes means that they were a good choice. So-" She curtsied, fluttering her fan. "-thank you for the unintended compliment. You have an eye for fashion, despite your uniform."

“Excuse you, I’ll have you know my garb is the peak of Jester fashion,” Jassir said, twirling around on the spot, sending his multicoloured tassels spinning about.

“This vivid orange and purple didn’t come cheap, you know. And the best part? The King paid for it all. Maybe I’ll destroy it in a brawl so he’ll have to pay for another one.”

He held his staff vertically and perched on it with sudden spryness, balancing on it and looking down on the Raveness with a grin. He should have expected she’d bend his words to seem like a compliment.

“And speaking of eyes...” Jassir said, tilting his head towards the main seating areas. “Young Lord Karoban over there, by the banner? He seems to have an eye for the king’s new agricultural lands. Very ambitious man, that. Outspoken, too.”

He smiled at the Raveness, a twinkle in his eye. Speaking to her was like flirting with death herself, and it was thrilling.

“Maybe you should visit his table, hmm? Show him his place? Not that I’d dare tell the Raveness what to do...” he smiled. “I’m just a lowly Jester, after all.”

Riva chuckled. "My job is to intimidate, not to threaten, Jassir. And - to anyone but you, of course - walking up to someone and starting a conversation is a massive threat in and of itself. Besides, my work is for unprecedented breaches of conduct, not ambitious noblemen. If that were the case, why then, everyone here would fall under my knife!" 

Oh, sure, Null!

Hmm... Riva makes potions for all sorts of things. That's what most of her time is spent on, actually, is making and testing potion recipies, not just torturing. I'm wonder, perhaps, if there's anyone she could be selling potions to. Like steroids or something. That would be a really interesting arc for a character. Anyone's character, not just for Null.

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

"No, no, you're perfectly fine." Maverick smiled, then his face fell as he realized who he was talking to: The King's betrothed, recently arrived from Jolie. "Oh, My Lady." He bowed briefly. "You are princess Aliénor, are you not?"

Princess Aliénor bowed her head. It was safest. "Yes, that's me." She blushed. She didn't know if he could see it. "You know me. What's your name?"

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Hmm... Riva makes potions for all sorts of things. That's what most of her time is spent on, actually, is making and testing potion recipies, not just torturing. I'm wonder, perhaps, if there's anyone she could be selling potions to. Like steroids or something. That would be a really interesting arc for a character. Anyone's character, not just for Null.

Yay! That does sound interesting. Let me see what I can do...

Will Dellré

Appearance: Slightly below average height and slim build. Dark hair and bright eyes with a spark of... something in them that makes people uncertain how to behave.

Details: The eldest son of one of the important nobles of the court, and widely considered to be the most desirable bachelor in the land, not just for his money and title, at least. He spends every ball and party dancing and carousing, and has enough friends that throwing a shoe will probably hit someone he's bought a drink for. He is beginning to operate some of his family's estate and interests, but his father is a long way off from passing it to him. Unknown to most, Will is also a somewhat infamous assassin. A select few know that contacting The Second Shadow is best done through Lord Dellré, but even fewer know why. One of those few is the Ravenness, who supplies him. While Will cannot compete with the King's Ladies, his liberal usage of potions, poisons, and the little magic he can dredge up lets him hold his own.

Personality: Cocky, but with enough charisma to make him likeable instead of arrogant.

Skills: Skilled with a number of weapons, methods of disguise, and poisons.

How does this sound?

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

Wait--hold up--

Another love arc with one of Connie's character and mine?

Shoot. That does happen a lot.

2 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Maverick Oakenwey, my Lady. No one of consequence, I'm afraid."

"Well, at least you're here." Aliénor extended her hand. "It's a pleasure, Maverick."

:lol: I can relate Connie and Fadran; Xino and I have at least one romantically entwined couple in every RP we're in. 

And Null, that sounds like a great character! I'll add him to the list. 

Maverick took the princess hand and kissed it, blushing. He was uncertain what he was expected to do next.

"I do. That and geography." Maverick felt himself start to sweat. By the Stars, how had he managed to engage in conversation with one of the most influential people in the kingdom? He was slightly frightened that King Ivian would see him talking to his betrothed and perceive it as flirting. Who knew how he'd punish such an offense? Still, he stood rooted to the spot.

16 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Riva chuckled. "My job is to intimidate, not to threaten, Jassir. And - to anyone but you, of course - walking up to someone and starting a conversation is a massive threat in and of itself. Besides, my work is for unprecedented breaches of conduct, not ambitious noblemen. If that were the case, why then, everyone here would fall under my knife!" 

“How dreadful,” replied Jassir, feigning horror. “All of these nobleman, suddenly disappearing? Who would I have to make fun of? Why, I’d have to resort to mocking the King, and then it’d be me under your knife!”

Though he smiled and joked, he watched her reaction with interest. Indeed, while everyone wore a mask, some wore more layers than others. Underneath that intimidating demeanour, that sharp black, who was the Raveness? It was a mystery that never failed to allure Jassir.

“I notice you’re sticking to your brand,” he said, gesturing to her dress. “Black dress, black mask. Why not embrace a little colour? I’d find few things more frightening than the Raveness herself in a technicolor shawl.”

He tilted his head and pretended to be deep in thought. “Would you even be the Raveness, then? More like the Rainbow Lorikeet... of Death.”