Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

2 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

"We have caught the assassin who tried to kill you, my lord. There are still more assassins in the castle, but we can't know how many still want you dead."

"There are always assassins," the king sighed. "What of the prisoners? How many have you arrested for disobeying lockdown directions?"

17 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

The guards made eye contact with one another, but they stood their ground with their spears aimed for the attacker, waiting to see what he would do.

"Just remember, I did warn you." Jasper dashed to the left, moving in a shallow arc around the spear points.

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Then get to it. I'd rather we end this lockdown sooner than later."

"As you command, my lord." Caden turned to leave the room, sweeping his cape behind him. As soon as Caden left the room, he pointed a finger at one of the guards around him. "You, rush down to the barracks and find if there are any hunters or rangers in this castle, then have them report to me immediately. No one is to release any prisoners without my command." Caden then stalked down the hall with his two bodyguards ever present at his side.

Just now, Fallapede said:

"Just remember, I did warn you." Jasper dashed to the left, moving in a shallow arc around the spear points.

The guardsmen moved to intercept, with one of them attempting to flank to the attacker's side. Just as the men were moving to engage the assailant, a large group of guardsmen came from down the hall in a light jog, bearing down in the gorup.

5 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

The guardsmen moved to intercept, with one of them attempting to flank to the attacker's side. Just as the men were moving to engage the assailant, a large group of guardsmen came from down the hall in a light jog, bearing down in the group.

As the guard re-positioned, Jasper struck at the spear with his sword, cutting off the head. As he saw the company of guards coming down the hall, he sighed and arced around again, running directly towards the larger group. At the last moment he turned sharply and ran down the branch they'd just come from. "I really am terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but this is rather urgent."

Alienor glanced around, trying to see Nicolae. He wasn't in the main area... she caught sight of him. He was by the side, and he was very drunk. She winced. She'd really need to apologise. But tomorrow, when he'd remember it. She closed her eyes, silently berating herself.

Nicolae hiccuped drunkenly. Maybe he shouldn't have drank the whole bottle...

Oh, well. Wouldn't be the first time.

He sighed, twirling a lock of his hair with his spindly fingers, casting his eyes about the room. Hadn't he been worried before? He couldn't remember why, for the life of him. Must not be important then. He chuckled to himself and got up to his feet, hiccuping again."'Ey!" Nicolae called to a young noblewoman. "Why we standin' around, huh? It's a ball, ain't it?"

The lady - wary of and slightly disgusted by the drunk serving boy - scowled. "It's a lockdown, simpleton. If you weren't so drunk you'd know that. Go harass someone on your level."

"On me level, miss?" Nicolae grinned. "I'd be guessin' that'd a-be rather hard; I've yet to meet someone taller than me, miss, and I'm not sure there's a woman on earth this height. You's small creatures, you is."

Nicolae was met with a hissing scoff. The woman turned on her heels and stormed away.

"Aww, now c'mon, miss, I ain't even asked ya to dance!" He moved to walk after her, but she chucked her fan at him. Whether it was her good aim, Nicolae's drunkeness, or just chance, it hit the poor servant right in the face. He rubbed his forehead. "I'll be takin' that as a no, I'd suppose..."

On 3/6/2021 at 6:39 PM, Fallapede said:

As the guard re-positioned, Jasper struck at the spear with his sword, cutting off the head. As he saw the company of guards coming down the hall, he sighed and arced around again, running directly towards the larger group. At the last moment he turned sharply and ran down the branch they'd just come from. "I really am terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but this is rather urgent."

Orders were shouted, and the men fanned out to completely block the corridor as the proceeded down it after Jasper. The other two guards who had previously engaged Jasper quickly returned to their posts as the company of men went after the assailant.

----

Caden headed off to where he had last left the prisoner who had claimed to be called Jasper before a messenger stopped him. "Sir, we have two situations."

Caden growled in annoyance, "speak."

The messenger quickly caught his breath, "one of the prisoners has escaped, the one that called himself 'Jasper,' sir."

Caden glared at the messenger, "arrange a search, I want him found!"

"That's not all sir, there's been an attack on the ballroom. He matches the prisoner's description."

Caden paused, considering the information. "So the fool wished to catch and kill the King in public, but he forgot to check to see if he was actually there. Ha! Gather the men, and encircle the prisoner's position! The King will want him alive for now, but I'll kill him myself if he's this persistent!"

The messenger saluted, "yes sir."

Caden turned away from the messenger, almost running to the Ballroom with his bodyguards in tow.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:02 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

Orders were shouted, and the men fanned out to completely block the corridor as the proceeded down it after Jasper. The other two guards who had previously engaged Jasper quickly returned to their posts as the company of men went after the assailant.

----

Caden headed off to where he had last left the prisoner who had claimed to be called Jasper before a messenger stopped him. "Sir, we have two situations."

Caden growled in annoyance, "speak."

The messenger quickly caught his breath, "one of the prisoners has escaped, the one that called himself 'Jasper,' sir."

Caden glared at the messenger, "arrange a search, I want him found!"

"That's not all sir, there's been an attack on the ballroom. He matches the prisoner's description."

Caden paused, considering the information. "So the fool wished to catch and kill the King in public, but he forgot to check to see if he was actually there. Ha! Gather the men, and encircle the prisoner's position! The King will want him alive for now, but I'll kill him myself if he's this persistent!"

The messenger saluted, "yes sir."

Caden turned away from the messenger, almost running to the Ballroom with his bodyguards in tow.

Jasper sprinted down the palace hallways, turning randomly. He didn't have the faintest idea where he was going, of course, but that had never stopped him before. He couldn't afford to get captured right now, though. This was too important.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:35 AM, Fallapede said:

Jasper sprinted down the palace hallways, turning randomly. He didn't have the faintest idea where he was going, of course, but that had never stopped him before. He couldn't afford to get captured right now, though. This was too important.

The men following Jasper slowed down slightly, focusing more on keeping a solid line of men across the entirety of the hallway behind Jasper instead of actually chasing him. Soon it became apparent why, as the unmistakable sound of the metal gear typical for the palace guard could be heard from the other end of the hallway.

They were staring at her.

Riva could see their reflections in the window; a group of nobles that were not-so-subtly trying to catch a glimpse of the infamous Raveness. She couldn't really blame them, considering these balls were the only times she got to show her face. She paused. That wasn't entirely true. Her face wasn't what they were getting a glimpse at, it was her mask. No one would recognize her without it, after all. There was power in her anonymity - the fact that her face was kept a secret meant that she was far harder to identify and thus far harder to catch and kill - but there were also downsides. While wearing the mask, she was the Raveness; powerful, cunning, immortal, legendary, otherworldly and inhuman. But without it she was no one; a weak old woman of no consequence. In many ways, her double life was a kind of torture. She didn't hold the power, the mask did. That was something she might soon have to rectify.

She turned on the small crowd she'd attracted. "May I kindly suggest that all of you find something else to gawk at? Perhaps something that is less likely to affect whether or not you'll be going home in one piece tonight." The words dispersed her entourage quite quickly. Stars was she looking forward to this night's conclusion. She could use some good screams to clear her aching head.
------
Nicolae Kimby was clumsy enough while sober. While drunk... Well. It was about as disastrous as you might imagine it to be. After some rather unfortunate trips, bumps, and stumbles (which had earned him a fair amount of dirty glares and insults), the poor boy had resigned himself to stacking glass cups at an empty table.

What could possibly go wrong?

On 3/16/2021 at 9:02 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

The men following Jasper slowed down slightly, focusing more on keeping a solid line of men across the entirety of the hallway behind Jasper instead of actually chasing him. Soon it became apparent why, as the unmistakable sound of the metal gear typical for the palace guard could be heard from the other end of the hallway.

As he heard the clanking of metal in front of him, Jasper began full-on sprinting. When the guards ahead of him came into view, he ran a few steps up the wall at a slant, then bounded off, leaping over their heads. He hit the ground running.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, Fallapede said:

As he heard the clanking of metal in front of him, Jasper began full-on sprinting. When the guards ahead of him came into view, he ran a few steps up the wall at a slant, then bounded off, leaping over their heads. He hit the ground running.

The guardsmen shouted out in surprise as they tried to make a formation out of their chaotic mess. As soon as the suspect had hit the ground running, a small number broke off of the group to chase the target on their own.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:54 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

The guardsmen shouted out in surprise as they tried to make a formation out of their chaotic mess. As soon as the suspect had hit the ground running, a small number broke off of the group to chase the target on their own.

Jasper didn't look back, keeping his pace as he wound through the palace halls.

So, uhh, not to be rude, but, uhm...

CAN YOU GUYS HURRY THIS WHOLE FIGHT SCENE THE SCUD UP??? I appreciate a good fight scene, but you're completely neglecting the rest of the thread. Nobody else is getting to do anything until the lockdown is over, so it's being 100% boring for everybody except you guys.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:41 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Nicolae Kimby was clumsy enough while sober. While drunk... Well. It was about as disastrous as you might imagine it to be. After some rather unfortunate trips, bumps, and stumbles (which had earned him a fair amount of dirty glares and insults), the poor boy had resigned himself to stacking glass cups at an empty table.

What could possibly go wrong?

Young Lady Korro saw an opportunity, one she was not keen on missing. To her entitled eyes, Nicolae Kimby was nothing less than the lowest scum of the earth and such a man did not deserve to be so close to the king. She smirked, whispering for one of her companions to make sure a head of castle staff was nearby enough to witness the scene unfold. "CieCie, give me your elastic," said Korro, watching Nicolae stack cups. He'd gotten them so high by now that even with his great height, he had to stand on his tiptoes. 

"You're gonna knock it over?" CieCie asked. She reached up to undo one of the ponytails in her hair. "I don't think this'll be enough to do the trick."

An evil grin slid across Korro's face. She took the elastic from CieCie and aimed. "Oh, I don't need to knock it down. Nicolae will do that part all on his own..." With that, she let the elastic fly. The hair-tie hit Nicolae on the back of the neck, falling down his shirt. He jumped, flailing. 

CieCie chuckled. "Isn't he terribly frightened of spiders?"

"He is indeed."

In his attempt to shake the apparent bug off of him, Nicolae slapped the tower with one of his massive hands. The whole thing came crashing down, each and every glass cup shattering with a shockingly loud sound. CieCie and Korro shared a high-five, snickering.

"NICOLAE, I SWEAR!" An aging, red-faced woman marched towards the now pale-with-embarrassment Sir Kimby. She grabbed him by the ear and began pulling him aside, screaming at him. "Do you have any idea how much all of that cost? You'll be out of a job if I have anything to say about it, boy. As soon as this lockdown is over, the king will hear about this!"

@Condensation 

Poor Nicolae...

Here's a drawing of little Caden with his older sister. 

IMG_1598.thumb.jpg.a9cddd7b84a8173f8e60f3c52953df92.jpg

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

In his attempt to shake the apparent bug off of him, Nicolae slapped the tower with one of his massive hands. The whole thing came crashing down, each and every glass cup shattering with a shockingly loud sound. CieCie and Korro shared a high-five, snickering.

"NICOLAE, I SWEAR!" An aging, red-faced woman marched towards the now pale-with-embarrassment Sir Kimby. She grabbed him by the ear and began pulling him aside, screaming at him. "Do you have any idea how much all of that cost? You'll be out of a job if I have anything to say about it, boy. As soon as this lockdown is over, the king will hear about this!"

Alienor winced and dithered for a moment. Should she try to help? Could she even help? Would Sir Kimby want her help?

She gave up on trying to reason it out and rushed over. "Excuse me, may I help you?"