Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

"I..." Maverick paused. "That's probably for the best. I'm sorry, miss."
-------
Nicolae set down his empty champagne bottle and grabbed a napkin, folding it idly. 

Why does I even care what the lass thinks of me? I'd be a-guessin' 'cause she's lonely and innocent, the poor thing. He sighed. I'll never be nothin' more than the local tramp, and there ain't a thing in the world I can do to be fixin' that.

26 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"I cannot. I suppose you're going to settle this by way of trial by combat? So be it." Jasper takes a deep breath, steps back from the door, and settles into a defensive stance.

The guards looked to each other, then one of the guardsman opened the door to allow two men to march out with their spears forward. They scanned the immediate vicinity to identify Jasper's location, as well as to check for any other threats. "Stand down sir, and you might be let off easy. Final warning."

5 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

The guards looked to each other, then one of the guardsman opened the door to allow two men to march out with their spears forward. They scanned the immediate vicinity to identify Jasper's location, as well as to check for any other threats. "Stand down sir, and you might be let off easy. Final warning."

Jasper made no response, instead slipping between the spear points as he engaged the guards at a closer range.

1 minute ago, Fallapede said:

Jasper made no response, instead slipping between the spear points as he engaged the guards at a closer range.

The guards yelped, back stepping to keep the points of the spears between them and the assailant. One of the guardsmen did a partial sidestep, just enough that he was still close enough for his comrade to aid him, but far enough so as to split the attacker's focus. They shouted for the alarm to be raised, and for reinforcements as they kept their spear tips pointed directly at Jasper. 

2 hours ago, Fallapede said:

Jasper grabbed one of the spears just behind the head and kept hold as he ran down the length, shoving the other spear aside as he did so.

The first guardsman jerked his spear to the side, so that the attacker would be thrown off balance for holding onto it. Just as he did so, the other spearman realigned his spear to point straight at the attacker and thrust it forward, aiming for the chest.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:42 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden growled, "a child snuck into the King's own ball alone to steal some money? Do you take me for a fool!" Caden stalked up to the child, towering over her. "You are here, working for someone, WHO?!"

"No one!"

4 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

The first guardsman jerked his spear to the side, so that the attacker would be thrown off balance for holding onto it. Just as he did so, the other spearman realigned his spear to point straight at the attacker and thrust it forward, aiming for the chest.

Jasper released the spear, letting it swing away as he twisted out of the way of the thrust. The point still impacted his shoulder, leaving a heavy bruise. As the guard pulled back, Jasper slammed into him, knocking the weapon away.

2 minutes ago, Vapor said:

"P-please," she whispered.

Caden watched the girl's face closely before shouting at her. "Tell me!"

6 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

Jasper released the spear, letting it swing away as he twisted out of the way of the thrust. The point still impacted his shoulder, leaving a heavy bruise. As the guard pulled back, Jasper slammed into him, knocking the weapon away.

As soon as the spear was knocked away, the guard dropped it and attempted to draw his arming sword to ward off the assailant, but gave out a surprised grunt when the attacker slammed into him. As the guardsman was knocked down by the attacker, the other one shouted as he brought his spear to bear down on the assailant. "Ned! Grab onto him!" As he shouted, he jabbed his spear at the attacker.

5 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

As soon as the spear was knocked away, the guard dropped it and attempted to draw his arming sword to ward off the assailant, but gave out a surprised grunt when the attacker slammed into him. As the guardsman was knocked down by the attacker, the other one shouted as he brought his spear to bear down on the assailant. "Ned! Grab onto him!" As he shouted, he jabbed his spear at the attacker.

Jasper stepped to the left, drawing the downed guard's sword as he did. The spear swept past him, missing by inches.

3 hours ago, Vapor said:

"I don't know where they are! I can't tell you!" she protested.

"Who's they, child!"

3 hours ago, Fallapede said:

Jasper stepped to the left, drawing the downed guard's sword as he did. The spear swept past him, missing by inches.

As the assailant side stepped his spear strike, he swiped to the side to smack the attacker before he could draw the blade.

Edited by The Ward's Guard

Riva stood in front of a window which she now used as a makeshift mirror. She had taken someone's water cup to wet the handkerchief she'd grabbed earlier and by now her skin was cleaned off. Unfortunately, the water had taken off some of her makeup - the skin of her neck and collarbone were not quite as youthful as she wished them to be - but she would rather have the ball-goers see some wrinkles than a pie-splattered Raveness. No, the real problem was her poor dress.

She'd tried for a while now to get the berry juices out of the expensive fabric, but it was looking like the dress was stained for good. She growled; the gown was one of her favorites. Whoever had thrown that pie would rue the day they were born. Not the child though. Even if she was part of the resistance - as Riva expected she was - she would see to it that the child came to no harm. Children were, after all, innocent. She'd be locked up, sure, but youth didn't deserve to be hurt. 

Perhaps if she hadn't been hurt as a child, she wouldn't be as twisted as she was.

She knew there was something different about her, something more than a little mangled. She was inhuman, as the rumors claimed, just not in the way they thought. She did not see the world the way others did, that much was obvious. But more than that, emotional understanding evaded her. It wasn't that she didn't understand it, she just... didn't feel the way others seemed to. Hurting others should not evoke pleasure. She should care more about the fact that many of them were sent to their deaths; pity them instead of just respecting or disdaining them based on their reactions to her. But she didn't. That was just how things were.

4 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden glared at the child, growling when the name Robin was mentioned. "Tell me child, why did they send you?"

"I don't know, I don't know," she whispered, trying to pull his hand away.

3 minutes ago, Vapor said:

"I don't know, I don't know," she whispered, trying to pull his hand away.

Caden snarled and dropped the child. He turned and walked briskly to the door before pausing just as he was about to leave. Without looking back at the child, he spoke barely louder than a growl. "You have bought some time for now child, but I may still hand you over to the Ravenness."

Caden then yanked open the door and slammed it behind him, turning to the four guardsmen keeping watch. "Two of you, in there with the child to keep an eye on her. Do not allow her to escape! Do I make myself clear?" The four men nodded and saluted, two of them entering the room to watch over the child as Caden moved down the castle halls to report back to his King for a report.

Just now, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden snarled and dropped the child. He turned and walked briskly to the door before pausing just as he was about to leave. Without looking back at the child, he spoke barely louder than a growl. "You have bought some time for now child, but I may still hand you over to the Ravenness."

Caden then yanked open the door and slammed it behind him, turning to the four guardsmen keeping watch. "Two of you, in there with the child to keep an eye on her. Do not allow her to escape! Do I make myself clear?" The four men nodded and saluted, two of them entering the room to watch over the child as Caden moved down the castle halls to report back to his King for a report.

Arabella curled up when she hit the floor and cried. "I want to go home," she whispered.