Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

Great!

Spoiler

Name: Laurence Biladeau.

Description: Tall, pale, blond hair, pale blue eyes, not in shape, super smart, and very, very, rich. 
He likes to order people around and play mind games, and he has a very rational fear of assassins. 
Details: Is a rich member of the court, is close to the king, absolutely hates poor people, and is very secretive. 
Personality: Hates poor people, is very secretive, has fears of assassins, plays mind games, and likes to eat cookies. (If he eats cake, he explodes)    
Skills: Very, very, smart, is a bullseye shot with a knife, can ‘disappear’, and is very good at the Irish goodbye.  

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

Riva Thadel - the Raveness as she was called in court or the Nightterror as her patients had so aptly named her - painted her lips as red as blood. She donned a magnificent dress of midnight blue, with a plunging neckline (not that she had much to show off) and a skirt lined with silver. The dress would be good for a night spent dancing, but it would be even better for a night of intimidation and those were what the balls were really for, after all: Reminding the people who was in charge. 

As she strapped on her feathered mask, she chuckled to herself. Every king she'd served under had used her as a tool to keep the nobles in line. Her appearance at balls was a reminder of the power king held. She was a threat - "One toe out of line and you'll be at the mercy at the most feared being in the kingdom" - wrapped inside the symbol of a woman gaunt and pale as the corpses she was so well known for. And yet, every king she'd served under (save the one throwing this ball tonight) was dead. They were dead, and Riva was alive. They were dead... and Riva's power, the power of her reputation, only grew with each passing day. Sure, the king may keep his Lady Assassins, but Riva was his real weapon.

The potions master threw her weight against a bookshelf at the back of the room, and it turned, revealing a secret passageway. She couldn't go out the normal door of this room; these quarters belonged to the serving girl Riva, an easily dismissable young woman, invisible in court. If someone saw her exiting as the Raveness, they would have to be executed. Not that she wouldn't enjoy doing that, of course, but it was hard enough to get staff these days. And so, to avoid any accidents, through the passages she had to go. She lit a torch to light her way and closed the bookshelf behind her. It wasn't too long a walk to the exit of the tunnel. She climbed up a short ladder - extinguishing her torch and leaving it at the bottom of the ladder - and exited by opening the top of what any onlooker would see as a wide tree stump. 

From there - footsteps crunching the leaves on the autumnal forest floor - she made her way to the castle entrance, joining the ranks of other attendees, hiding her iconic masked face behind a black feathered fan. She was ignored by everyone else in line until a guard asked her for her invitation and she put the fan down. "I don't need one," she announced, reveling in the way the guard paled upon recognizing her. He bowed nervously and allowed her to pass. She did so smugly. Once past the entrance, she walked with her head held high, listening for the slight gasps that escaped all who she passed by. When she was inside the castle on a normal day, she had to hang her head and be the small servant dressed in rags. But in the dungeons and on days when a ball was thrown... she could hold herself with the utmost pride and confidence. She had no card to hand to the announcer; he - like everyone else - knew who she was. 

"The Raveness, master of the dungeons, and the King's torturess!" 

With a graceful curtsy, Riva made her way down the steps. If she weren't so well known, she might have been the envy of every girl in the room. Her dark makeup was expertly done to accentuate her pale skin and cheekbones, her silky black locks arranged in an intricate style, kept off her shoulders to show off her sharply visible collarbone, her rich dress shimmering as its train dragged on the ground, and her heels - shown off every time her leg breached the slit in her dark dress - an eye-catching silver. She still attracted the gaze of everyone who saw her, but it was because they feared her, not because of her beauty.

That was how she liked it. 

As soon as I saw the thread I knew what type of character I wanted :P

Spoiler

Name: Jassir Avander (mostly just known as “Jester”)

Role: Royal Court Jester

Appearance: Tall, always dressed in flamboyant and colourful clothing with a uniquely unfashionable hat to tie it all together. Very unimposing Green eyes and black hair.

Details: Ever since the previous Jester was tortured and executed two kings ago, he’s been in service, always allowed to say and do the things normal nobles can’t. The reason he hasn’t been executed yet is because he also doubles as a spy on the nobles to let the king know if anything suspicious is brewing. Since people underestimate him he can often intercept conversations.

Personality: He puts on a loud, energetic, and mischievous show so that people underestimate him. In reality, he’s quite observant. He’s also hopelessly in love with the mystery and danger of the Raveness and the King’s Ladies. :P

Skills: Skilled orator, able to weasel himself in or out of situations, not afraid to speak his mind because he isn’t afraid of the king or assassins, very skilled at acrobatics.

Edited by I think I am here.

I’ve got a concept for my character, but I have homework so I won’t be able to fully flesh her out for a few hours. 

I’ll play the lady of a fallen household whose husband is an alcoholic. her main goal is to bring her household to its former glory.

Also am I going to meet Maverick in this rp? *induces antispant excitement*

Parties were just excuses to plant seeds of unrest.

"House Arivain has been tiring their Lord, of late," King Ivian I explained, "and most everything they've been doing has been against his wishes. Someone's pulling the strings, I say. Their militia force has grown steadily in recent years, and I don't think they're doing it defensively."

He told this to Lord Exholus, on his right, but made sure to let his voice carry down to Duke Paqus, whose lands neighbored Arivain's. With luck, Paqus would attack Arivain's lands to defend his own... and Lord Arivain would be able to ascend in influence as the victim of this attack.

His eyes shot upwards as Riva entered the courtroom. Her attire... very fetching, yes. It wasn't often that he saw her in a dress. He wondered to himself if she'd been properly punishing their most recent offender.

Ahhh, scud. How in tarnation do I play a corrupt king without making him a scandalous carnal pleasure guy? Because I don't want to play a scandalous carnal pleasure guy! In fact, playing such a person is literally against forum guidelines!

The king doesn't need to be entirely evil. A big part of the story is that everyone needs to wear a mask. All that's in the backstory about the king, is that due to Robins father's act of treason the village had to be massacred. If you want the king to be a good person he could wear a mask of evil for survival. It also could have been a law he was in the process of changing, but Robins father was caught before he could change it and now the people fear him. Do whatever you want, but those are some suggestions.

Also not sure this came through in the storyline, so you can change it, but his father was the previous email king, and he is the first king to inherit the throne not through assassination. 

37 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Parties were just excuses to plant seeds of unrest.

"House Arivain has been tiring their Lord, of late," King Ivian I explained, "and most everything they've been doing has been against his wishes. Someone's pulling the strings, I say. Their militia force has grown steadily in recent years, and I don't think they're doing it defensively."

He told this to Lord Exholus, on his right, but made sure to let his voice carry down to Duke Paqus, whose lands neighbored Arivain's. With luck, Paqus would attack Arivain's lands to defend his own... and Lord Arivain would be able to ascend in influence as the victim of this attack.

His eyes shot upwards as Riva entered the courtroom. Her attire... very fetching, yes. It wasn't often that he saw her in a dress. He wondered to himself if she'd been properly punishing their most recent offender.

Also, if anyone wants to play Lord Arivain... he's the king's closest ally in just about everything.

Jassir found it amusing that most attendees of tonight’s ball would be wearing two layers of masks.

Of course, there were the boring masks, the physical type. Jassir noticed them when he emerged onto the ballroom floor in a flurry of movement and colour, the nobles with the green or gold or purple masks, thin and flimsy and yet worth more than a peasant’s monthly allowance. Those were the tedious masks, the ones which didn’t really obscure anything.

And then there was the second layer, the one much harder to spot. Jassir moved between the tables of socialites, flamboyantly twirling his staff, which was decorated with ribbons. The second layer was the one that hid beneath skin and flesh, that resides in the core of a man.

“Careful there!” he called out to Lady Berick, making his way over to the table where she was seated with her husband. “That’s your third cup of wine, dear, and the ball’s just begun! Although...” He took a long glance at her husband, then patted the Lady on the back. “Nevermind, I understand completely.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The Lord snapped, standing up. Jassir raised his hands in the air, though the grin that danced on his face never ceased.

“Nothing! It’s nothing, except, well, my, my, Lord Berrick, that’s a nice mask you have. Tell me, what animal is it? Snake? Rat? Pig?” Jassir slapped his forehead. “My mistake, that seems to be your actual face! My apologises.”

A lord sitting with them spat out his drink, and the Lord fumed. Even the Lady seemed to hide her smile behind her wine. The Lord moved to say something but Jassir waved and left for another table. Indeed, beneath the obvious mask there was a deeper, more subtle masquerade, the one that continued even after ball’s were over. The kind of masquerade that inspired betrayals, that hid corpses underneath rugs.

Beneath Lord Berrick’s strong-man facade, for example, there was an insecure child. That was hardly a fact to disturb the king about, but Jassir noticed it all the same. He moved to intercept another table when a lady entered and caught his eye immediately, making his breath catch. But it wasn’t just any lady. It was her. The Raveness.

“My, my,” he said smoothly, pulling up beside her with a grin. Unlike most of the court, he didn’t fear the Raveness that much. Only a normal, healthy amount. He knew the king would never betray his most well-hidden spy. “How long as it been since we last met? Seems like an eternity since I last made fun of your shoes. I notice you’re wearing different ones now, by the way.”

@Shard of Thought

7 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

Also am I going to meet Maverick in this RP? *induces anticipant excitement*

Yes, but he won't really be a main character. He'll probably be at the ball, actually. He's a low-level nobleman. And his brother is planning to assassinate the king. :ph34r:

Also, this is about how I picture Riva's dress to be. (Spoilered for size. Plus, it's actually a modest dress, Riva's wouldn't be)

Spoiler

Dark Blue Mermaid Long Sleeve Feather Beading Prom Dress - Kemedress

Riva rolled her eyes, but smiled. Just because Jassir acted like a buffoon didn't mean he was one. He was one of the only ones brave enough to talk to her and she appreciated that. Exchanging witty banter with him was one of her favorite parts of these balls. Every other lady had someone to dance with and she got to flirt with the jester. It wasn't for everyone, but it was a fun time. "Well, Jassir, you'd make fun of me no matter what I wear. The fact that you noticed my shoes means that they were a good choice. So-" She curtsied, fluttering her fan. "-thank you for the unintended compliment. You have an eye for fashion, despite your uniform."
@I think I am here.
----
Nicolae Kimby was running late; he'd gotten a little caught up with a servant girl on the way to the ballroom. Hopefully he'd washed her lipstick off his face well enough to be presentable. He ran his slender hands through his messy hair for lack of a comb, hoping his king wouldn't be too upset at him for arriving at his side. Dashing past the annoyed announcer on his abnormally long legs, Nicolae descended the stairs a few at a time, almost skidding past his master. "I'm here, I'm a-here, sir!" His words appeared to have interrupted the king's discussion, but Nicolae didn't particularly care. 
@Channelknight Fadran
----
Maverick was a wallflower. He'd always been that way: Shy and hard to distract, not the type of man any lady here would want to dance with. He wore simple attire - in-line with his low noble status - people-watching as he picked at a small plate of food. Ballroom was a peaceful place to be. Pretty architecture, tasty food, comfy furniture, and lively music. Watching other people dance was probably more entertaining than joining in anyway. 

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Riva rolled her eyes, but smiled. Just because Jassir acted like a buffoon didn't mean he was one. He was one of the only ones brave enough to talk to her and she appreciated that. Exchanging witty banter with him was one of her favorite parts of these balls. Every other lady had someone to dance with and she got to flirt with the jester. It wasn't for everyone, but it was a fun time. "Well, Jassir, you'd make fun of me no matter what I wear. The fact that you noticed my shoes means that they were a good choice. So-" She curtsied, fluttering her fan. "-thank you for the unintended compliment. You have an eye for fashion, despite your uniform."
@I think I am here.
----
Nicolae Kimby was running late; he'd gotten a little caught up with a servant girl on the way to the ballroom. Hopefully he'd washed her lipstick off his face well enough to be presentable. He ran his slender hands through his messy hair for lack of a comb, hoping his king wouldn't be too upset at him for arriving at his side. Dashing past the annoyed announcer on his abnormally long legs, Nicolae descended the stairs a few at a time, almost skidding past his master. "I'm here, I'm a-here, sir!" His words appeared to have interrupted the king's discussion, but Nicolae didn't particularly care. 
@Channelknight Fadran
----
Maverick was a wallflower. He'd always been that way: Shy and hard to distract, not the type of man any lady here would want to dance with. He wore simple attire - in-line with his low noble status - people-watching as he picked at a small plate of food. Ballroom was a peaceful place to be. Pretty architecture, tasty food, comfy furniture, and lively music. Watching other people dance was probably more entertaining than joining in anyway. 

"Ah, Nicolae! Come sit down."

“Hiya, hiya, yer Majesty Highness. Sorry I was late. It was the cook, see. Was tryna take a shortcut through the kitchens, but she thought I was lookin’ to steal stuff.” It was a half truth. “Not my fault, Sir, nota my fault at all!”

If it was me, I would be at the ball, but it really depends on if you want to write stuff now or not  

@Condensation

Robin Custos sat in a tree watching over the many children she had saved. Like usual she was wondering about her father. All the clues that pointed to his act of treason were written in a code he had taught her when she was nine, and when she was ten he sent her to be trained as a King's Lady. She was scared, her father was extremely manipulative, and it seemed she couldn't shake off his years of manipulating her. She could be playing into his trap at the moment, becoming who he wanted her to be to fulfill his purpose. 

Biana brushed past a lady in a red dress slipping her hand into the hidden pocket that many Lady his in their dresses. She had noticed the lady looking for someone and could see the fear in the lady's eyes and a slight bulge where the hidden pocket was. The lady was most likely here to pay a dept and like Robin taught her she made sure the lady was rich enough that taking the money wouldn't hurt her too much. She had rubies in her hair, so Biana reasoned that the women could pay with her hairpins if necessary. Robin would never take money from someone in dept, but Biana wasn't Robin. Biana cared about Robin and the children hidden in the woods, and she would do whatever it took to protect them.

14 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

“Hiya, hiya, yer Majesty Highness. Sorry I was late. It was the cook, see. Was tryna take a shortcut through the kitchens, but she thought I was lookin’ to steal stuff.” It was a half truth. “Not my fault, Sir, nota my fault at all!”

@Condensation

"Whatever. Eat! Drink! Keep an eye out; there's more than one assassin here tonight, I reckon."

With all due respect, Nicolae thought to himself, there are always assassins in the corner of your eyes, Highness. Still, Nicolae couldn't exactly blame him for his paranoia. And, since it was in his interest to see Ivian remain on the throne (usually, new kings would execute all those who served closely under the previous ruler), Nicolae was glad to indulge his master in his fear. "Oh, right-o, Highness, Sir." 

With that, the beanstalk of a manservant dug into the food awaiting him. Despite his habit of stealing from the kitchens, he was fed very well and ate as much as possible. For some reason, he never seemed to gain any weight from any of it. Probably because of how busy his king kept him. As he took a massive bite out of a chicken leg, he began folding a napkin idly. 

Name: Caden Praetorium
Appearance: Fairly tall at 6'4, although he walks with a feint slouch. His most distinctive feature is the scarring on his face, which if not for the scaring, it might have been considered handsome. His hair is black, and he has golden amber eyes. He can typically be found in military style clothing along with selective armor plating meant to intimidate because of its sharp edges and pale white coloring. One can typically hear him approaching because he wears bots with metal supports that come out of the sole of the boot. He is a bulky man, well muscled and intimidating.
Details: The King's trusted military commander, commonly known for being a ruthless and often times callous brute who cares very little for collateral damage. On the battlefield, he has a great deal of disdain for the lives of his soldiers, preferring to get his objectives done in the direct ways. In every conflict and scenario in life, he prefers to have the odds stacked into his favor as much as possible, refusing to engage in a "fair fight."
Personality: Quick to anger, but he seems to be in good control of himself while he's angry. He seems defensive whenever people refer to him as the King's Dog, or other similar titles that belittle him for his service to the king.
Skills: His military prowess comes from his superb ability to organize both the military and the logistics needed to supply it. In parallel with his battlefield tactics, he has a blunt and straightforward approach. An above average dueler.

Note: Loosely based off of the character General Grievous from Star Wars. Not sure what title he should have, I guess that's up to our noble King.

Edited by The Ward's Guard