Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

Caden accepted the pain, laying where Riva slapped him. He spoke between trembling gasps, "if I love her, then I'll only bring more pain." He grimaced as he gabbed his gut, "why can't I command my own heart! I know what's best, so why do I still feel for her? Help me," he looked towards Riva with pleading eyes, but he seemed to be seeing beyond her, "I have nowhere else to go."

1 minute ago, xinoehp512 said:

"The sword will further our goals," admitted the specter. "But none can wield it except the heir."

"Okay..." He nodded. 

Just now, The Ward's Guard said:

Caden accepted the pain, laying where Riva slapped him. He spoke between trembling gasps, "if I love her, then I'll only bring more pain." He grimaced as he gabbed his gut, "why can't I command my own heart! I know what's best, so why do I still feel for her? Help me," he looked towards Riva with pleading eyes, but he seemed to be seeing beyond her, "I have nowhere else to go."

She raised her syringe to stab him, arm trembling. "Caden Praetorium, you swore an oath." Tears streamed down her face. her heart couldn't take much more. "You said you'd be true to me. But you... you..." With a shake of her head, she fell to her knees beside him. "I was starting to fall for you... You made my life worth living."

"Forgive me," was the only thing Caden could force out of his mouth, his body leaning into Riva as exhaustion overtook him. He held her in his arms, but mostly laid on top of her, too weak and drained to move. "I don't know what to do," he said with his eyes clenching shut.

Edited by The Ward's Guard

Riva could not sleep. She had tried for the last few minutes to free herself from under Caden’s great weight, but now knew it was hopeless. She would be stuck here all night. Of course, she dared not wake him; he’d proven to have quite the temper on him and she’d already been beaten twice in the last few hours. Tempting fate a third time had no appeal. And so, there she lay, breathing as evenly as she could, hushing her husband whenever he started his sobbing in his sleep again. He was really quite child-like despite his size. Riva had very little experience with children, but…

Long-awaited darkness falls, she sang. Casting shadows on the walls. Riva rubbed the man’s back gently. Outside, rain fell with a calming, incessant hush.

In the twilight hour I am alone
Sitting near the fireplace,
Dying embers warm my face
In this peaceful solitude,
All the outside world subdued
Everything comes back to me again,
In the gloom
Like an angel passing through my room
Half awake and half in dreams,
Seeing long forgotten scenes
So the present runs into the past
Now and then become entwined
Playing games within my mind
Like the embers as they die,
Love was one prolonged goodbye
And it all comes back to me tonight
In the gloom
I close my eyes
And my twilight images go by
All too soon

Timeskip

Disclaimer as written by Zephrun's Imperium

"This morning scene is a short one, y'all go about your ball buisness."

With a shift of his shoulder, Caden groaned softly as consciousness slowly seeped into his mind. He wanted to bat away thoughts of getting up for just a moment, as his position was filled with warmth that he welcomed with open arms. It was only then that he stirred, the warmth causing his mind to feel as if something was off. He tried to lift himself up.

1 hour ago, DramaQueen said:

Leina went to the ball because it sounded better than latrine duty, but she'd spent her whole time by the food table. Not that anyone could blame her; royal food was good.

Striding over, Wendy started sopping up some spilled water. "Y'know, I get that you're new here, but generally us waitresses are supposed to be working instead of eating."

Edited by Channelknight Fadran