Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

Riva was going to kill that great oaf she was married to, oh yes indeed. She’d made up her mind; she’d poison the beast so he was powerless and then she’d kill him all up close and personal with a dagger after properly gloating. The fearsome general would know very well that his conqueror was a little old woman and the pain her potion would cause him would be a hundredfold worse than the torments he’d be facing in Mal. She must have tortured thousands of individuals over her illustrious career, but this time was different. It was personal, stars curse it. That bastard had had the nerve to make her think she loved him and then… Bah, what did it matter? 

You wanted him to kill me, didn’t you, Ivian? Riva thought to herself as she mounted a horse. Rain thundered outside the stable, but the torturess had little more than her cloak to keep her dry. She couldn’t bring herself to care. Well, I’m killing him! Your general will be dead in the morning, see how you like it then! No one defies the Raven and gets away with it. You’re fools! All of you! 

Her steed was mildly frightened of the rain and lightning, but Riva kicked it on anyway, her cape whipping behind her in the wicked windy rain. All told, the journey only took at most an hour - riding a galloping horse was significantly faster than going by carriage - but the hour was late when she arrived, even for the Raveness. She didn’t care; her anger could have kept her up all night. She stormed into the keep, growling at the guards who were startled by her entry, and walked, soping with rainwater, all the way to her new office where she could make her deadly potion. 

What she found there was enough to make her jump.

14 minutes ago, Vapor said:

"What does that do?" Ara asked.

The staff shouted and started flocking over to where the vase had shattered.

"Quick! Into the cart!" Katie tiptoed across the room then dove into the covered tray cart.

The next person Ivian ran into was his mother.

"Whoa. Mom." He grabbed her shoulders and steadied her.

Looking up into his eyes drunkenly, Louis grinned. "'Appy birthday, m'boy..."

"How much did you drink?" Ivian demanded, grabbing a chair and sitting her down in it. "You shouldn't be out right now; and especially not here. There are... crazy men. I've seen what they'll do if they can find a maid or even a visiting noblewoman."

"Ain't... nuffin' those boys would want with an old lady like m'self." Louis hiccuped.

"They aren't picky."

"Listen, Ivian, baby." Her hand groped for his shoulder. "Y'know, the last time somebody took me to bed, the best thing in my life happened." She smiled. "You."

Ivian was speechless.

"Now, I'm not saying that you should go find and rape the next girl you see to give her a kid that'll grow up to be a good and honorable not just man but king, but..." Louis sniffed and wiped her face, despite the fact that there was nothing there, "but maybe sometimes the ends justify the means, y'know?"

"I... you need to get some sleep." Ivian decided. "You're in no condition to be wandering the castle."

Louis waved him off dismissively. "Who am I kidding... there ain't anything left for me to teach you. You're a big boy now; you can fend for yourself. Welp..." She stood up and stretched, wobbling slightly. "Maybe I'll take you up on that. Hopefully I can find my room..." With that, Ivian's mother walked off.

Caden knelt on the floor of the Raveness's potion brewing chamber, having already cursed that infernal woman for stealing his private chamber. He kept his eyes clenched shut in fear of what he would see if he opened them again. The sharp memory of all of the Raveness's things pointing and accusing him causing his chest to tremble with every breath. He had tried to smash them already, but that only created more fingers, more knowing of his sins in the darkness that surrounded him.

The general wrapped his arms around himself, and he grit his teeth as he tried to focus on the here and now, trying to ignore the warmth and love that he felt as he recalled the small things, her smile, or her light and fair laughter as he made a small mistake. He tried to push on, but the more he dwelt on the smaller things, the harder the memories pushed him. Soon he could hear her voice, ringing through the small bedroom as she sang to a soft lullaby, or the taste of her warm and calming tea. His breathing grew quicker while he could feel his gut tying up into all sorts of knots as he knew where this would lead. 

In an instant, the memory of the alarm that was raised rang in his ears, the adrenaline that surged through his veins as he flew down the hallways that seemed to go on without end as he desperately searched for her room, only to find the door hanging ajar. Without bothering to check for danger, Caden had charged in, only to find her on the floor, surrounded in a pool of her own blood. Caden trembled as he remembered her eyes, once so beautiful and full of love and light, staring blankly at the ceiling. He could feel himself being too shocked to move, before grabbing her in a desperate attempt to feel her life, her warmth again, only to feel nothing. He wrapped his arms around her trying to pull her close to protect her, but he could only feel pressure building in his chest as he didn't feel anything coming from her. He squeezed her as he heard a scream echo through the room. He didn't know who was screaming until he felt his throat become raw as he tried to pull her close to him as possible. He clenched his fists with all of his might as he refused to let Acalia go, to let her die alone, even though she was already gone.

He screamed and begged with all of his might and voice to any divine power that watched over them to bring her back somehow, even if the cost was his own life. Better that she live, than he. When his voice finally gave out, and his eyes seemed to be dry, he realized that no one would answer, he felt as if he could only lay down and join her. He wanted to sob as he felt the world around him grow darker, and colder, but Caden only shivered not knowing where to turn.

He trembled, curled up on the cold, stone floor. The whole world around him was as dark and cold as it had been since it had stolen her away because of his failure to protect her. He sobbed into his own arms, unable to stop even if he could want to. 

Edited by The Ward's Guard

Riva could hardly believe her eyes. Caden. Sobbing. 

She strode carefully - quietly - into the room, placing a hand on his shoulder to test his reaction. “Caden?” she whispered, mostly making sure he didn't snap up and kill her. The great boulder of a man shook beneath her wet fingers and Riva could only wonder at the oddness of a mountain-like man appearing so weak before her. 

Her luck couldn't have been better. Would killing him really be so easy?

9 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

The staff shouted and started flocking over to where the vase had shattered.

"Quick! Into the cart!" Katie tiptoed across the room then dove into the covered tray cart.

Ara followed Katie and jumped in after her, stifling a giggle.

Edited by Vapor

21 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Maverick sighed. "Look, I... You show up in here. And you are, what, a literal demon? Telling me if I go with you I can claim the throne of my inheritance and ressurect my brother? I mean that's... that's not even possible."

The room chilled. In the shadows, something stirred.

"Who are you, to know what is possible?" asked the figure simply.

Riva could not sleep. She laid awake in a bed that was too small for her, sweating, tossing and turning. Most nights were like this. In the summer, it got so hot and humid that the floors became slippery. But this time, it wasn’t the heat that kept her awake. Thoughts had begun circling in her head recently. And tonight, they had come to such a high point that they could no longer be ignored. She had a choice to make, a choice that would forever change her life. Riva stared at the ceiling. Would she kill her mother tonight?

In the drawer by her bed - just a foot away - was a dagger she’d stolen from the kitchen. She could easily slip into her mother’s room, slit her throat, and be free of that woman. She’d planned it all out in the weeks that this fever-dream idea had plagued her. It was so tempting; for the last eleven years, Riva had suffered abuse day after day. Revenge would be sweet. But if she went through with it, what would happen to her after? Could she really live on her own? She scoffed. There was a better question she should be asking:

Could she really go on living here, where she was powerless?

She leaned her head back, closing her eyes. If she didn’t do it tonight, these same thoughts would stir tomorrow night, and the night after that, and the night after that. She would inevitably convince herself to do it eventually. Until then, the indecision would only cause herself more misery. She narrowed her eyes. She would do it, dammit. And she would do it tonight. She stood up off the bed and quietly opened the drawer, removing her dagger. It was a beautiful weapon. And Riva was certain it would look more beautiful when stained with blood.

The young girl crept out of her room and into the cramped hallway. She didn’t weigh enough to make the floor creak, thankfully. If Mother woke… Well, who knew what would happen? She certainly had no intention of finding out… Dark, long shadows hung on the walls, making the long-familiar corridor seem foreign. It scared her more than she cared to admit; bravery was all she had. Riva stopped at her mother’s door and stared at the dagger in her hand. She could still turn back. If she stepped through that door, she was committing. All or nothing. For as big a choice as it was, however, Riva didn’t take long to make it. If she was being honest with herself, the decision had already been made years and years ago. 

Silver moonlight streamed through the curtains, illuminating the woman who’d made Riva’s life a living Mal since the day she was born. Mother. Such a title wasn’t meant to evoke feelings of hatred or the potent fear ever-present in Riva’s life. But it did anyway. “I hate you…” Riva whispered. Three simple, but powerful words. She’d never said them aloud before. In her mouth they tasted.. Invigorating. Freeing. Riva eyed her mother’s vulnerable neck, poison in her eyes. A small part of her begged her not to do it, but its cries were too quiet and insignificant to be heard now. Sparing Mother’s life would be weakness and Riva was not weak. “And I will never be,” she whispered. With that, every muscle in her body tensing, Riva stabbed her dagger into her mother’s throat. 

-------

When the king’s guards arrived at the Thadel household the next morning - intent on collecting a new batch of potions from the Raveness - they found a bloodsoaked little girl and a mutilated body. Though the bony, pale young girl was much smaller than any of the kingsmen, they looked at her in fear and the little one reveled in it.

“You want potions?” the child rasped. She hopped off the bloodstained bed, walking nonchalantly over the corpse of the woman she’d murdered.

There was no response but nervous shuffling and frightened gulps.

“Well?” She folded her arms distastefully, looking the kingsmen over with a death glare. “Answer me, cowards” she hissed.

One guard shoved another guard forward and the one that had been shoved spoke. “Yes, we want potions. But… what happened to the Raveness?”

“My mother is dead,” said the girl flatly. “I killed her, even you dimwits can see that plain enough. But I can make potions just like she can. She taught me quite well.”

“The Raveness had a child?” one of the guards muttered. 

“She did. Speak up when you address me. You answered to my mother Nyx, correct?”

The guards looked at each other warily, confused at what to do. “...yes,” one of them replied.

“Well. You answer to me now. And you can start by calling me ma'am, miss, or Lady Raven, thank you very much. I will be replacing the old potions master. I suggest you take me to the king to inform him of the change in management. I think he’ll be… quite intrigued.” An evil-looking grin spread across her face 

------

King Thall was pathetic. When I walked in, he was afraid of me and thought I was an evil spirit; he refused me nothing for fear I would curse him. Are people in the real world really so spineless? On my way to the castle, I had been preparing to be met with utter disdain, fully expecting to have to assert myself and prove that I belong here. I am, after all, a child. But no. The king was perhaps even more scared of me than the trio of guards that first stumbled upon me. How does a person like that become the leader of a nation? I suppose it doesn’t matter, however. He had my mother and now he has me. They will soon learn to fear me just as much as - more than, even - Nyx Thadel. 

I am the dark. I am terror. I am death itself. 

I am the Raveness.

At the very least, she had been. Everything was gone now.

After mopping up a pool of spilled wine off someone's table, Wendy spotted something moving out of the corner of her eye; then turned to see none other than Katie and Arabella waving at her from under the dessert table.

She glanced around to make sure no one was watching her, then strode over to and ducked under the table. "What in the stars are you doing?"

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

After mopping up a pool of spilled wine off someone's table, Wendy spotted something moving out of the corner of her eye; then turned to see none other than Katie and Arabella waving at her from under the dessert table.

She glanced around to make sure no one was watching her, then strode over to and ducked under the table. "What in the stars are you doing?"

"We snuck in!" said Ara, grinning.

3 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Maverick shivered, (Forge only continued to purr) his breath pulsing in his ears. If he could really bring back his brother... Hurt Ivian...

"What must I do?"

The specter smiled. "Simple. Find the sword."