Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

"No. No!! No, please, no!" She struggled and one of the guards elbowed her in the stomach, silencing the woman's screeching to moans and sobs.

"Heh," the guard mumbled. "I've always wanted to do that." 

"Please," Riva wept. her mascara ran. "Please, you wouldn't do this to a poor old woman." 

"A poor old woman?!" The second guard shoved Riva against the wall. "What in the world makes you think you're poor? You're cruel, you're evil, you're demonic and I'm begging for you to give me a reason to send you to Mal where you belong. Stars, you're an ugly thing. Isn't she ugly without her mask, Tareen?"

"Ugly as Mal." Tareen spat upon her face. 

The two guards dragged her by her arms through the hallway. As they did so, guards asked. "Is that really the Raveness?" "Yessir, the king's relieved her of duty." "Bet the witch'll be headless within the week." "Good riddance." "Praise the Stars above." 

She was spat, kicked, swore at, scratched, jostled. Her tears stopped after a while. She just wanted to die. A bruise from being slapped earlier had begun to form and her body ached from being dragged on the floor. It ached from being thrown, it ached from being old. Her soul ached. A few hours ago, had things gone differently, she could very well have been in bed with Caden, cuddled up all warm and- Bah, she didn't want to touch that son of a bench. Not anymore. Fury boiled within her as they slammed the door to her cell shut with a laugh and a clang. After the crowd dispursed, Riva Praetorium crawled to the corner of the cell and trembled with cold.

She must have dozed off, for when Daku came for her, her mind was cloudy with sleep. 

"My lady!" the dungeon master cried, kneeling down in front of the cell. The keys jangled at his side. 

Riva looked up, her makeup smeared all over her snotty face. "Daku...?" She sniffed. "Daku, you have to get me out of he-"

"Shh. I have a horse waiting for you. No mistress of mine deserves to spend the night down here."

"A hors-"

"Shhhh." Daku undid the lock. "Can you walk or do I need to carry you? I can get you to your secret exit in the tunnels." Riva put out her arms to be held and Daku obeyed. Any other time, she would have been disturbed at how eager he seemed to touch her, but now she couldn't have cared less. She knew exactly where she'd take that horse tonight. 

She had a husband to kill. 

Ivian groaned quietly and rubbed his forehead. At least there was one thing taken care of. With the Raveness gone, he turned to leave and return to the party; but someone placed a hand on his shoulder and stopped him.

"We need to talk." Yvonne said.

Turning around, Ivian nodded. "Yes? Please, I'll take any excuse to stay away from that blasted party."

"Your plan. It's..." She struggled for the words. "It's... barbaric, Ivian, it's--"

"I'm not following through." He inturrupted.

Yvonne fell silent. "What?"

"At least, not for... y'know." Ivian rolled his hand indicatively. "The part you didn't like. I'll come up with something."

"You--you will?"

"Yes." Ivian nodded. "Especially seeing as how it isn't even going according to plan, and also... I have the heart of a coward inside me. I couldn't make myself do such a thing no matter what the outcome."

She didn't say a word. One hand pressed against her forehead, and the other drifted down to her side.

"Will that be all?" Ivian asked.

Nodding, Yvonne answered, "yes, my lord. That will be all."