Hoid's Cryptic in Mistborn Era 2?

Halyo_Alex

It's pretty much exactly what the title suggests; I'm looking for any hints of Hoid having his Cryptic when he shows up in the Wax and Wayne series, which would suggest that he figured out the trick to taking Spren off of Roshar. Any mentions of "strange patterns/markings/symbols" when Hoid is on screen? Or him talking to someone that didn't seem to be there?

Just finished reading Hoid's cameo in BoM (ch. 11), and I can definitively report NO evidence of Design being present.  I think it's reasonable to assume the "blind beggar" act is within his capability without Lightweaving being required.  He's on screen for less than one whole page, and has five lines (and a cackle).

Absence of evidence, however, is not evidence of absence.

1 hour ago, AquaRegia said:

Just finished reading Hoid's cameo in BoM (ch. 11), and I can definitively report NO evidence of Design being present.  I think it's reasonable to assume the "blind beggar" act is within his capability without Lightweaving being required.  He's on screen for less than one whole page, and has five lines (and a cackle).

Absence of evidence, however, is not evidence of absence.

True, plus we have 1 more book in Era 2 that could answer it clearly for us all.

On 1/30/2021 at 7:19 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

Hoid has to get off Roshar somehow.

Also if Design is alive we probably are only going to see the affects I:E illusions on hoid and magic tricks

Im not sure what you were trying to say, sorry.  Are you agreeing with me or are you saying you think she's dead?

While a Cryptic can't completely hide their presence in the Physical Realm like some other spren, they're perfectly capable of being inconspicuous so the fact that we don't see Hoid's new partner in BoM doesn't mean that something has happened. We know that Hoid has wanted full access to Lightweaving for a long time and is very happy to have gotten it. I'm quite certain he wouldn't willingly give that up and if anyone in the Cosmere can figure out how to get a Splinter offworld, it would be Hoid. And Khriss probably, I'm sure she'd be able to explain the theoretical mechanism if nothing else.

36 minutes ago, Weltall said:

While a Cryptic can't completely hide their presence in the Physical Realm like some other spren, they're perfectly capable of being inconspicuous so the fact that we don't see Hoid's new partner in BoM doesn't mean that something has happened. We know that Hoid has wanted full access to Lightweaving for a long time and is very happy to have gotten it. I'm quite certain he wouldn't willingly give that up and if anyone in the Cosmere can figure out how to get a Splinter offworld, it would be Hoid. And Khriss probably, I'm sure she'd be able to explain the theoretical mechanism if nothing else.

Khriss does indicate she may know in SH, as that isn’t the reason she can’t take Kell with her. But that begs the question of why Kelsier hasn’t just asked her how to do it. I doubt she’d object to telling him; she seems to like sharing knowledge.

23 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

Are we allowed to talk about RoW spoilers in other boards now? 

22 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

No.

The fact that Hoid has a cryptic is not a spoiler as that is revealed in Ob's epilogue. Any further information (such as a name) is a spoiler.

1 hour ago, Fezzik said:

The fact that Hoid has a cryptic is not a spoiler as that is revealed in Ob's epilogue. Any further information (such as a name) is a spoiler.

Yea, that's pretty much why I asked. It's not a groundbreaking spoiler by any means, but I'm just not sure where the mods would draw that line.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I’m aware. That’s why I answered ‘no’.

I have seen at least one other person in this thread discussing things that likely do cross that line in other threads, so I genuinely didn't know if the spoiler rules had been lifted. 

Just now, Harrycrapper said:

Yea, that's pretty much why I asked. It's not a groundbreaking spoiler by any means, but I'm just not sure where the mods would draw that line.

I have seen at least one other person in this thread discussing things that likely do cross that line in other threads, so I genuinely didn't know if the spoiler rules had been lifted. 

I was confused as to why Fezzik quoted me. I got why you were asking, so I answered.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Khriss does indicate she may know in SH, as that isn’t the reason she can’t take Kell with her. But that begs the question of why Kelsier hasn’t just asked her how to do it. I doubt she’d object to telling him; she seems to like sharing knowledge.

Yeah, that's interesting. Main possibilities I can think of: she doesn't know the method, it's just that there's multiple reasons he couldn't go with them, and she only said the most immediately pressing one (that is, that being around Kel on-planet or off would be risky with his strong ties to Ruin); for whatever reason he can't locate her (which would surprise me, considering we haven't seen much indication she tries to hide very hard); or she just doesn't wanna tell him. Last one seems unlikely to me considering what Brandon's said about her:

Wetlander

As of Secret History, is Khriss working with the Seventeenth Shard at that time?

Brandon Sanderson

Khriss works with anybody who is interested in the information that she has. She is a--

Wetlander

Freelancer?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not a freelancer, really, she is a-- She'd get along with Edward Snowden, right? She is-- For the good of the cosmere, in her opinion, she is providing this information. She thinks that it'll be useful for everyone. So if the Seventeenth Shard comes to her and says "We want to know this" and she knows it, she will tell them. If Hoid comes to her and says "I want to know this", she would tell him. So Khriss will work with anyone who she thinks their motives are for the good of the cosmere in general.

Bystander

Not strictly a mercenary?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not a mercenary, she's kind of a freedom of information type person.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Guess she could consider him too dangerous, but if she's willing to share information with Hoid, I doubt she'd hide it from Kel. So option 1 seems most likely to me, I guess. 

8 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Yeah, that's interesting. Main possibilities I can think of: she doesn't know the method, it's just that there's multiple reasons he couldn't go with them, and she only said the most immediately pressing one (that is, that being around Kel on-planet or off would be risky with his strong ties to Ruin); for whatever reason he can't locate her (which would surprise me, considering we haven't seen much indication she tries to hide very hard); or she just doesn't wanna tell him. Last one seems unlikely to me considering what Brandon's said about her:

Guess she could consider him too dangerous, but if she's willing to share information with Hoid, I doubt she'd hide it from Kel. So option 1 seems most likely to me, I guess. 

I headcannon that those two have an on and off collaboration thing going on, because Khriss loves sharing information and learning and Kelsier loves discovering new things and finding secrets. So they end up exchanging knowledge and researching the metallic arts together. And a few other things.

Kelsier now has his name on half-a-dozen research studies in Silverlight’s university because Khriss insists on crediting him, and a surprising number of students there think he’s some kind of reclusive scholar (because he never visits to give lectures) and are always rather shocked to discover what he really is. Oh, and Kell has an open invitation to lecture if he can ever get off Scadrial, something that amuses him greatly.

(And it amuses me to imagine a bunch of juniors at Silverlight envisioning Kelsier as some stereotypical scholar.)

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier now has his name on half-a-dozen research studies in Silverlight’s university because Khriss insists on crediting him, and a surprising number of students there think he’s some kind of reclusive scholar (because he never visits to give lectures) and are always rather shocked to discover what he really is. Oh, and Kell has an open invitation to lecture if he can ever get off Scadrial, something that amuses him greatly

This is amazing and I will now adopt this headcanon :lol:

On 2.2.2021 at 9:48 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

He met her before he had picked up Preservation. Would a standard method even work on him now?

On 3/21/2021 at 3:59 AM, Oltux72 said:

He met her before he had picked up Preservation. Would a standard method even work on him now?

That’s also a possibility. Though that leads to some other questions that can’t be asked here...

@LewsTherinTelescope An incomplete sketch for you: image.thumb.jpg.6023b3f87ae9b1a9a68acbdc71909da3.jpg

Study Buddies!

Completed sketch:image.thumb.jpg.6f34ef9528b17390fbd24865fcd078ea.jpg

Edited by Kingsdaughter613