Introducing my Sister to Mistborn

Celairiel

She also loves Steris. My favorite Steris quote is on the train when she says she brought extra metals for Wax "because I'm neurotic." Any other great Steris quotes?

Now the library copy for Bands of Mourning has a hold and she wants to skip to another book. Based on the advice here, I'm making her wait, for maximum surprise value. However, once she's read BoM and Secret History, I would like to keep updating with her progress into Stormlight. She read Warbreaker first, before I started updating things. But I don't want to cause cross-series spoiler issues. Should I start a new thread, or see if a Mod can help me move this to a more appropriate forum?

Initial Steris.png

Steris.png

TenSoon and MeeLan.png

Interesting, I always head-pronounced Cett as a hard C, like "Kett".  If it's a soft C - "Sett" - that WOULD really confuse listeners with regard to The Set.

The party scene in BoM where Steris drinks ipecac (which of course she always carries, just in case of poisoning) and projectile vomits everywhere.  It will always make me laugh out loud, even the 7000th time I read it.

MeLaan is also awesome.

On 3/29/2021 at 7:31 PM, AquaRegia said:

Interesting, I always head-pronounced Cett as a hard C, like "Kett".  If it's a soft C - "Sett" - that WOULD really confuse listeners with regard to The Set.

The party scene in BoM where Steris drinks ipecac (which of course she always carries, just in case of poisoning) and projectile vomits everywhere.  It will always make me laugh out loud, even the 7000th time I read it.

MeLaan is also awesome.

I deeply appreciate your choice of pronouncing the hard C. My screen name uses a hard C but it always get mispronounced with a soft C. But yes, the audiobooks pronounce with a soft C. So a spelling correction cleared up a lot.

Steris is amazing. My favorite line is from the next book when she says "And I brought these because I'm neurotic!" 

I find the evolution of the relationship between Wax and Steris over the three novels to be amazingly touching, beautiful and completely realistic.  It's absolutely possible, if you remain open to learning more about someone (and yourself), to come to love and appreciate them in entirely new ways.  I've had similar experiences in my relationships, and it's one of the many reasons I adore reading these books.

I'm also reminded of the scene on the train to New Seran, when Wax finds that Steris is reading an instruction manual about *ahem* "the birds and the bees".  Both hilarious and precious.

Given the French language inspiration for character and place names in MB, I guess a soft "C" (followed by "E") unfortunately makes more sense.

Watching my sister respond to Wax and Steris reminded me of just how much is does develop. From the very formal, rigid first meeting, until the wedding night, they really grow and develop. And she's now on board with the relationship whole-heartedly, as you can see here. I got her reaction to the end of book two on the phone, so nothing to share for that. 

Flooded Wedding.png

• 3 weeks later...

I got goosebumps just reading that post. :wub:

It's such a great moment, such a great reveal... I don't ever want its emotional impact lessened for ANY future reader!

Thanks for continuing to share.  Soon she's going to be stuck waiting for Brandon, just like the rest of us.  ;-)

She loved Secret History, in all the right ways. She's said she now has so many more questions and I had to (gleefully) welcome her to where everyone is in regards to Kelsier. Just lots and lots of questions.

I've compiled her best reactions for Secret History here and will start a new thread in the overall Cosmere forum so I can just lump everything from Arcanum Unbounded, Stormlight, and eventually Elantris all in one place. I'll toss a link here once I have reactions to share. Thank you for enjoying this with me. I can't wait for her to see the thread - I told her since this one is in an isolated, spoiler-free space, I may have her sign up and come meet everyone. :)

Oh, and during all these reactions, she hadn't realized Drifter = Hoid yet. She was trying to figure out who he was because he seemed familiar. Sadly, that realization hit her while we were talking on the phone. But she now understands why I get so excited whenever Hoid shows up. Because he's amazing.

Kel punched Fuzz.png

Explode.png

Insult Battle.png

Kel and Vin Farewell.png

Sanderson Zombies.png

• 3 weeks later...