Mid-Range Game 48: The Southern Wind

Straw

18 minutes ago, Gears said:

Messages are limited. Tied votes call upon fate’s mercy [see the Bar]. There is no manipulation of opinions, so orchestrating a tie is simple. Sabotaged parts are repaired in a relatively short duration, though it seems that the crew needs more mechanics. Take advantage of this delay when time is needed.

18 minutes ago, Gears said:

Bar: Ties no longer kill, low priority target [There’s no manipulation, so ties can’t be orchestrated, and sabotage is public, so everyone will know to avoid the tie.]

The Bar was removed during the game approval process. It's not in this version of the rules.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

There is no manipulation of opinions, so orchestrating a tie is simple. Sabotaged parts are repaired in a relatively short duration, though it seems that the crew needs more mechanics. Take advantage of this delay when time is needed.

I... huh, it hadn't occurred to me that there's no vote-manip in this game. I guess that's nice?

1 hour ago, Gears said:

The two core factions seem to be remarkably similar in long-term goals and names [which are all pretentiously long and meaningless], but in the short-term, the Southern Influence Commerce Syndicate Crewmembers want the mission to succeed and the Northern Interest Trading Company Saboteurs want the mission to fail. I want them all to fail.

I vote we call them Crewmates and Impostors! It makes sense, right??? I mean, the Imps even sabotage and everything!

Would do an actual serious response to Gears' analysis but I'm rly tired rn and burned out so I'm gonna... leave that for tomorrow... or never... whichever comes first.

4 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Young Bard, for fun. And because this is their ruleset :P

I feel slightly guilty for people calling it my ruleset - it was Tess who came up with the ruleset, I just helped co-GM it when they ran it. On the upside, I guess that means you can unvote me now, though. :P

Archer hasn't showed up yet, so have a pokevote.

Honestly, the only roles I can't see the Elims having is Trapper or maybe Aviar Holder if they're a larger team, everything else seems like a plausible Elim role. As for what ship parts they're likely to target, I'd say the Laboratory or the Brig, since it's their greatest risk in the early game (if the Trapper is still alive and hasn't used their ability in the late game, that's more likely to be a late-game target), the Hospital is a mid/late game target to prevent mass-roleclears, the Main Office might be good if they just wanted to take out as many roles as possible. Crew's Mess depends on how the Elims feel about PM's, but I think is probably a lower priority target, and the Aviar Holding Area... it depends how many Aviar Holders there are in the game - if their kill gets blocked every second cycle, then they'll probably sabotage it, but if there's only one or two Aviar Holders, I think it would probably be lower priority again.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

@Liranil @The Unknown Order

"Third?" said Third, surprised to see Third and Third. "Name buddies! It's my lucky day!" 

That was a joke, because for Third, every day was lucky. "You two aren't, you're not 'a thing' right? I don't want to intrude if so. I'd hate to be a third wheel."

First two people talking are the LG dead? Makes sense. Hi guys! I read the rules and loved them but that was days ago so I need to find some time to re read before I do any speculation. 

Orlock's character name doesn't match everyone else's. SUSPICIOUS

6 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

Um.

7 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

I feel slightly guilty for people calling it my ruleset - it was Tess who came up with the ruleset, I just helped co-GM it when they ran it. On the upside, I guess that means you can unvote me now, though. :P

This is true! Bard. And well, I couldn't vote Tess.

Ninja'd by Quinn :P But I was also gonna point that out.

Second of Noon smiled as she stood at the prow of the ship. It felt good to be back on a ship even though this one was different than the last. The view was exquisite, blue water reflecting the bright sun and fluffy clouds. Noon looked back to see the harbor shrinking in the horizon as they flew away. 

Squawk 

Noon looked up at First of the Bone. Why couldn't he manage to keep his Aviar under control? They had a holding area in the ship for a reason. She sighed and told herself to relax. Think of all the things we will see, she thought and all of the creatures. She grinned, annoyance gone. One little bird couldn't keep forever dampen an adventure. 

Feeling adventurous, she walked over to Sixteenth of the Night and asked, "Where are you from?" in the most confident tone she could manage.

@TJ Shade

52 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

smhmh

DeTess

53 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

I'd say the Laboratory or the Brig, since it's their greatest risk in the early game

Hm, I mean, I know it's not pure rng but it's a like 1/15 chance that they actually hit the person submitting the kill, no? so I don't think that's an incredibly important sabotage? I feel like that's more reasonable late game. It lasts 3 cycles, so it's not like it would just be sabotaged for the one cycle.

1 hour ago, Young Bard said:

I think it would probably be lower priority again.

I agree with the aviar- unless Straw for some reason made everyone Aviar holders, then I think it's not that big of a deal for the Elims to try and work around them? it's like the 1/15 thing I guess it's lower because i't'd be 1/12 or 2/12 but there's still- I don't think that would be a priority idk

I started writing this like 10 hours ago and in switching tabs I found it again...if my sentences make no sense it's because they were finished at different times okay I take no responsibility :P.

A vote before I go to bed: Quintessential! Based entirely off my skim I just did two seconds ago. I think I’m alright at gut reading Quinn, so this is good for now. But it’s very early and I’d be surprised if my thoughts didn’t develop somehow.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

7 hours ago, Young Bard said:

Honestly, the only roles I can't see the Elims having is Trapper or maybe Aviar Holder if they're a larger team, everything else seems like a plausible Elim role. As for what ship parts they're likely to target, I'd say the Laboratory or the Brig, since it's their greatest risk in the early game (if the Trapper is still alive and hasn't used their ability in the late game, that's more likely to be a late-game target), the Hospital is a mid/late game target to prevent mass-roleclears, the Main Office might be good if they just wanted to take out as many roles as possible. Crew's Mess depends on how the Elims feel about PM's, but I think is probably a lower priority target, and the Aviar Holding Area... it depends how many Aviar Holders there are in the game - if their kill gets blocked every second cycle, then they'll probably sabotage it, but if there's only one or two Aviar Holders, I think it would probably be lower priority again.

7 hours ago, Young Bard said:

*blinks* Oops. Sorry Archer, I somehow missed that post. Uhhh... Random Bystander, that sounds like a suspicious name if ever I've heard one.

Only mildly suspicious of this, but still suspicious enough for a vote. Young Bard.

Reasoning: there was literally only 1.4 pages in the thread at the time of his posting that. 35 messages. Seems unlikely they would miss Archer’s post when there was barely anything to go through. Also, Bard’s poke-vote post was rather large, so I assume they put some time into it. And yet, despite all the time spent in the thread, they ‘missed’ the fact that Archer had already posted. Archer’s post was number 8 btw, at the very top of the page. I would not be surprised if this is an Elim!Bard/Elim!Archer team, with Bard trying to distance himself from Archer.

14 hours ago, Illwei said:

No one votes, we let D1 be complete RNG. :D.

pffftt you're only saying this because you know there's no chance you'll die in a tie :P.

14 hours ago, Dannex said:

I guess that there are 2-4 doctors, and that the Elims have at least one. Probably only one.

Aviar Holder could be either faction. I bet we have 3-4 of these, and the Elims have at least one. 

I guess we have 2-3 bookkeepers. I am relatively sure one would be an Elim.

yo yo yo my dude, what's this piling up of numbers?? xD have we forgotten that straw is tooooo vanilla? (er, that's not an offense, straw :P)

12 hours ago, Straw said:

The Bar was removed during the game approval process. It's not in this version of the rules.

Sixteenth of the Night, could not, in fact even have his first of the night, much less the sixteenth :P.

9 hours ago, BrightEyes2 said:

Feeling adventurous, she walked over to Sixteenth of the Night and asked, "Where are you from?" in the most confident tone she could manage.

Sixteenth looked up from the sign what said "Bar : Closed" and tried to hide his disappointment from the newcomer. No need to channel that disappointment into something. "Where I'm from? Oh you know, no particular place. I get by, here and there. Now why I'm here? That's the more important question. Someone told me that this ship had top o' the class bar, and so I hop in right? And to come here and look at what? Only to find the bar closed? If I find that lad who..." he trailed off. "Anyywhooo nuff about me. Where you headin to Miss Second? Hey, you know, if you help me cook food, what's the food gonna be called?"

"Second Helping. Ahahaha. Ha ha.." he looked around "Err, donno wanna scare away any newcomer with my terrible jokes, pardon me."

Dan lad feels like a might crew-y, may I say. Lads enthusiastic, so he's been jumpin up and down, but there's nothing malicious seeming about him. He seems like his usual goody goody self.

Illwei speculating on the number of members of the crew feels a bit different, might be because I don't remember seeing her doing it before. Lass herself has told she hates to do it. 

Bard's mistake not enough to make me vote out someone not playing regularly on D1.

Ain't nothing outta the ordinary to note other than the ones mentioned above. 

Edited by TJ Shade

8 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

A vote before I go to bed: Quintessential! Based entirely off my skim I just did two seconds ago. I think I’m alright at gut reading Quinn, so this is good for now. But it’s very early and I’d be surprised if my thoughts didn’t develop somehow.

Oh goody! I'm gonna die today! This is fun :) 

Hmmm but I like ties so...

4 hours ago, Dannex said:

Only mildly suspicious of this, but still suspicious enough for a vote. Young Bard.

Young Bard

This post isn't dependent on my role. I'd post it no matter what role I was given.

First of the Stars was sitting on a bench, tensed. She was a Trapper, so she would be ready for an attack no matter what happened. Tili, her green and blue Aviar, was perched on her shoulder. Most people thought that Tili wasn't actually a species of Aviar, but First knew he was. She was able to stay calm in any situation when Tili was near. She felt calm even when she couldn't see him and he was close. She looked around the mess hall at the other people there, and knew that there were traitors on board. Well, she would just have to do something about that, wouldn't she. Tili's calming presence made her decision purely logical, and she knew it was the only way that made sense.

I might not be able to get on again today. Sorry if that happens. I don't know enough to feel like I should vote, so I won't this round.

5 hours ago, Dannex said:

Reasoning: there was literally only 1.4 pages in the thread at the time of his posting that. 35 messages. Seems unlikely they would miss Archer’s post when there was barely anything to go through. Also, Bard’s poke-vote post was rather large, so I assume they put some time into it. And yet, despite all the time spent in the thread, they ‘missed’ the fact that Archer had already posted. Archer’s post was number 8 btw, at the very top of the page. I would not be surprised if this is an Elim!Bard/Elim!Archer team, with Bard trying to distance himself from Archer.

Aaaaaa I don't like this vote mistakes happen especially when you come into the thread a few hours late and want to catch up

The reason Quinn beat me to correcting Bard's mistake is because I missed Archer's post on my reskim of the first page. You heard that right. It took me two tries to find his post again.

I don't think it's an elim vote atm but I still don't like it.

1 hour ago, Quintessential said:

Oh goody! I'm gonna die today! This is fun :) 

Hmmm but I like ties so...

Young Bard

Quinn it's an MR and you have two votes :P. I think. Suffice it to say I don't like this vote either.

@Straw, VC?

Edited by Matrim's Dice

2 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Okay and? Your vote's already on me :P why would I care what you think of me?

Because my vote's on you, maybe? :P 

It... probably won't stay. I'd like more time to get a better read of you. 

Edited by Matrim's Dice

4 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

pffftt you're only saying this because you know there's no chance you'll die in a tie :P.

;).

7 hours ago, Dannex said:

Reasoning: there was literally only 1.4 pages in the thread at the time of his posting that. 35 messages. Seems unlikely they would miss Archer’s post when there was barely anything to go through.

Okay okay okay. On one hand, this is incredibly strange reasoning :P. On the other hand, this feels like it comes from a villager. (oh look Based!Danex? again? how interesting :P) Maybe it's just the fact that I can't read, but I've definitely missed posts before.

4 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

yo yo yo my dude, what's this piling up of numbers?? xD have we forgotten that straw is tooooo vanilla? (er, that's not an offense, straw :P)

The less actions I have to remember to submit, the better >>

Also straw seems to like larger Elim teams, should we be theorizing a team of five >>

Also I was legit thinking something like "smh this is my backwards game" smh :P. me? Poke voting? Setup Spec? Actually trying to understand the rules? something's off here... xD.

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:
1 hour ago, Quintessential said:
2 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Quinn it's an MR and you have two votes :P. I think. Suffice it to say I don't like this vote either.

Okay and? Your vote's already on me :P why would I care what you think of me?

Because my vote's on you, maybe? :P 

It... probably won't stay. I'd like more time to get a better read of you. 

I'm absolutely confused by this exchange???
???

7 minutes ago, Straw said:

Quintessential (2): Illwei, Matrim's Dice
Young Bard (2): Dannex, Quintessential
Orlok Tsubodai (1): Archer
Random Bystander (1): Young Bard

Smh Missing my vote on DeTess.

I went through to see who hasn't talked in thread, and...3/4 of yall have??? why when I think of the thread then, do I only think of Mat and Quinn? What's the line between posting enough to encourage activity, and posting too much that people feel overwhelmed by the thread. *sigh*.

@Shard of Reading Reading

Yaaaay only a couple of pages to catch up! I also completely forgot that this game has semi-open-ish PMs until rereading the thread. XD

8 hours ago, Dannex said:

I kinda like this reasoning, but I also know how many times I've missed someone's post, especially if it's a shorter one like Archer's. 

28 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Also straw seems to like larger Elim teams, should we be theorizing a team of five >>

I don't know how Straw usually is when GM-ing, but I don't think 5 is too ridiculous of a number. That would still be 11 vs. 5, which doesn't seem too bad if the elims don't have a lot of Aviar or more powerful roles. 

I'm not a huge fan of throwing out votes randomly... but I also don't feel the need to tiebreak as much since ties don't kill everyone this round. So... @Kings_way Kings_way hasn't shown up yet.

Let's do some analysis.

Aviar Holder: You’ve been given one of the few Aviar on the ship. Your Aviar’s abilities allow you to avoid the first Trapper or Saboteur kill that targets you. Passive protection. I'd say 1-3, probably closer to 2.

Biologist: While you were brought along to help with the life on the islands, your skills can be used to help figure out what’s happening on the ship. Each cycle you can target a player and see who they target. If someone targets an airship part, you do not see that. If you target a Saboteur who uses both a role ability and their kill, you see both targets. Fairly powerful, I'd say only 1 with a slight chance of 2.

Bookkeeper: You are responsible for keeping logs of the ship’s crew. Each cycle, you may discover another player’s role. Role detection, fairly useful, I'd say 2 no elims 3 1 elim.

Doctor: While you’re not actually very good at saving people, you can still access the Hospital. You can talk with the dying in the Hospital document. If the Hospital is sabotaged, you can still talk in it, but you will only have your fellow Doctors to speak with. Doctors are anonymous. I'd say 3 no elims, which I find pretty unlikely, 4 one elim.

Messenger: You help take messages around the ship. You are able to create as many one-on-one PMs as you want. Probably 3 or 4, I doubt we'll have a messenger elim, unless the have a PM spider on their team.

Security Officer: Your job is to deal with any possible trouble on the airship. Each cycle, you may choose one player and throw them in the Brig. That player will be both protected and roleblocked. You cannot throw the same person in the Brig two cycles in a row. I doubt this will be an elim and I doubt we'll have more than 1.

Trapper: Like the Security Officer, your job is to prevent any trouble on the ship. However, you tend to take a more violent approach to removing threats on the ship. Once per game, you may kill another player. I'd say only one, and it's not an elim

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

I'd say 3 no elims, which I find pretty unlikely, 4 one elim.

Again I say...that's...a quarter of the people here?? you think that a quarter of the game are doctors? And another Quarter Messengers?

I don't think this is Role Madness :P.