Mid-Range Game 48: The Southern Wind

Straw

@Liranil @The Unknown Order

"Third?" said Third, surprised to see Third and Third. "Name buddies! It's my lucky day!" 

That was a joke, because for Third, every day was lucky. "You two aren't, you're not 'a thing' right? I don't want to intrude if so. I'd hate to be a third wheel."

First two people talking are the LG dead? Makes sense. Hi guys! I read the rules and loved them but that was days ago so I need to find some time to re read before I do any speculation. 

Orlock's character name doesn't match everyone else's. SUSPICIOUS

3 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Sorry, should have been clearer--I realize now that I have been subconsciously assuming there would be more than one Doctor. Now that Matrim has brought that assumption to my attention, I'm suspending it pending further evidence.

smh so serious "pending further evidence" where's the chaotic Kwinny I know and love? ;-; Kwinny

EDIT:

1 minute ago, Archer said:

I read the rules and loved them but that was days ago so I need to find some time to re read before I do any speculation. 

This, but like, I'll just let yalls do the speculation and I'll speculate on your speculation :P.

*patiently waits for gears to do his rules things"

Edited by Illwei

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

That was a joke, because for Third, every day was lucky. "You two aren't, you're not 'a thing' right? I don't want to intrude if so. I'd hate to be a third wheel."

Ohhhh that pun hurt...

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

First two people talking are the LG dead? Makes sense. Hi guys! I read the rules and loved them but that was days ago so I need to find some time to re read before I do any speculation. 

Yes, we never learn. Talking in the thread a bunch gets us killed but we do it anyway :P 

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

A. you misspelled Orlok and B. I don't have a character name at all, what does that make me?

4 minutes ago, Illwei said:

smh so serious "pending further evidence" where's the chaotic Kwinny I know and love? ;-; Kwinny

Right here! Quinn was being boring, so we should kick her out, right? And I, Kwinny, will take her place! :) 

1 minute ago, Quintessential said:

what does that make me?

Smh it makes you Quinn, smh. :P.

2 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Right here! Quinn was being boring, so we should kick her out, right? And I, Kwinny, will take her place! :) 

Good good I'm in favor of this :P. Kwinny Quinn

See here guys, Poke voting works! just like I always say! :D.

14 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

I was assuming from the phrasing of the rules that there would be more than one Doctor. It says at some point that if the Hospital is sabotaged, Doctors will still be able to talk to each other. Also it definitely wouldn't surprise me if there's an elim Doctor. That way they can keep track of what info flows back from the Hospital doc to the main thread.

I wasn’t implying I thought there was only one :P. Sorry. There definitely could be multiple and I also wouldn’t be surprised at an elim one.

11 minutes ago, Illwei said:

"use it well" sounds like such a strange thing to say?? so performative or whatnot. Or perhaps just jealousy? :P.

Well it’s definitely part jealousy :P But like- I don’t want them to not use it well. Idk. I just write what I write, yknow?

Pretty sure that Quinn has only ever voted on herself as an elim :eyes:

Just now, Quintessential said:

So, in preparation for this game I stocked up on some tasty tinfoil! Anyone want some?

Get back to me in like, cycle 4 :P.

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Pretty sure that Quinn has only ever voted on herself as an elim :eyes:

Welcome to the show where Illwei can't reference things because ongoing game hehehehehehehe

1 minute ago, Illwei said:

Welcome to the show where Illwei can't reference things because ongoing game hehehehehehehe

I mean I'm dead in the ongoing game so it's okay to reference my alignment there right? So long as I don't talk about meta knowledge that I have from being dead?

Edit: 

1 minute ago, Illwei said:

Isn't that show called "Illwei and Quinn's Discord DM"?

Edited by Quintessential

22 minutes ago, Archer said:

@Liranil @The Unknown Order

"Third?" said Third, surprised to see Third and Third. "Name buddies! It's my lucky day!" 

"The Three Musketeers!" Third of the Dawn grinned. "Let's stick together, shall we?"

I forgot this was starting today! It will certainly be a nice distraction from homework, although hopefully not as much as the last QF.

First of the Bone started tying a rope around what looked like a mizzen-mast. He wasn't really sure if it was or why he needed a rope around it, but that's what the captain told him to do. It wasn't like the entire operation would collapse because of a rusting rope, now, would it? 

The knot came undone. Blast.

AraRaash wiped the hair out from his eyes. For this journey, he'd chosen something a bit different. Still Faleast's face - he'd noticed a certain insect crawling aboard and wanted to make a good impression - but other than that, he had gone wild. Black hair down past his ears almost to his neck, well-tanned skin, Alethi-dark eyes, a stubble beard around his mouth and chin with shaved cheeks, a faded red shirt, off white shorts, and a nice pair of leather boots. No hat - that would have been overdoing it - but he looked quite the part of a grizzled sailor.

Squawk.

Oh, and the bird. 

AraRaash's red Aviar swooped around, landing on the side of the mast and pecking at the rope. He hadn't managed to get it to land on his shoulder yet - that would be both over-pirate-like and inconvenient, if rather flashy - but it always stayed nearby, doing whatever it was it did. He'd gotten it back on Patji, where it had decided to follow him around and do absolutely nothing. It was evidentially a "Good-Looking" Aviar, which apparently made people... more good-looking? Faleast thought it had some form of Soothing behavior that made people more willing to like a person. AraRaash thought that was boring. Mainly because the captain had refused to let him "borrow" the airship when he asked both with and without the Aviar. But, it fit the part.

He finished tying the knot, making sure it was secure in both places. Now that he could see it, it looked like a good way to have a backup. Tie it to the airbag above them all, and it would hang loose enough not to pull the gas bag too taut, but also provide a backup if a rope snapped. Airship problems, he gessed.

AraRaash had been on ships before. He'd been on a rusting spaceship before, and that had been quite an adventure. But up there where the Ones Above roamed, it was easy to forget that you weren't in a building with gravity and running water and windows and everything. It was so... smooth. A lot of running around fixing doors and occasionally getting ejected into outer space, but overall it was relaxing.

Faleast liked relaxing. He groaned on and on about being too old and to let his old bones rest for a while. Well, Faleast was... what, a hundred now? Time travel makes keeping track of birthdays so difficult. But in any case Faleast had nothing on AraRaash and his bones. Although technically they were wearing Faleast's bones today. Dahkor would draw too much attention in Drominidad. 

I don't think that's how it's spelled, Faleast's voice mumbled. 

Oh, now you speak up. An internal monologue needs no spell-checker, rebuffed AraRaash.

Where was he. Oh, right. Piracy. Ships.

You see, spaceships were relaxing. AraRaash didn't like relaxing. AraRaash wanted adventure. He wanted to explore the Pantheon, to maybe find another set of Aviar or learn some new skills. Oh, and serve Lamentation, may He somehow use AraRaash tying ropes to further His almighty goals. But AraRaash... he had his own plans. 

He was here to be a pirate. Unfortunately, people tended to frown upon pirates. Too many people simply hated when people took the things they'd rightfully stolen. So AraRaash thought. He could steal some of the Aviar. Or simply catch some when they got to the Pantheon. Or perhaps even find the perpendicularity on Patji. Having some of Autonomy in him would be an adventure.

He was still thinking when something caught his eye. A little bug, on the railing of the deck.

"Ahoy there, Philico!" he said, stretching his arms and flashing a smile. "I see that you've been busy?"

@Matrim's Dice

Edited by Ashbringer
Needs more pirate dialect

Also shouldn't more people than just me, you, and Illwei have commented by now?

It's been less than an hour, give them time, smh xD.

1 minute ago, Liranil said:

I forgot this was starting today! It will certainly be a nice distraction from homework, although hopefully not as much as the last QF.

:ph34r;

heheheheheheheheheh

2 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Actually I can't think of... any? other times when I've voted on myself XD

I thought you voted on yourself in QF50- no wait no you didn't did you. I voted on you, and then you asked me to unvote :P. Yeah I don't remember any other time either?? :P.

16 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

I mean I'm dead in the ongoing game so it's okay to reference my alignment there right? So long as I don't talk about meta knowledge that I have from being dead?

Please don't discuss ongoing games.

22 minutes ago, Illwei said:

I thought you voted on yourself in QF50- no wait no you didn't did you. I voted on you, and then you asked me to unvote :P. Yeah I don't remember any other time either?? :P.

I thought she did in QF50 and then not at all later so that's just my bad memory, sorry...

26 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

"Ahoy there, Philico!" he said, stretching his arms and flashing a smile. "I see that you've been busy?"

Drat. He'd been spotted. It was getting harder and harder to go incognito now that he kept interacting with the same people. Or in this case, cognitive shadow/kandras, but that made no difference. If anything, it made it harder.

The hordeling AraRaash had spotted scuttled away immediately after its cover was blown, to rejoin the main horde- or at least the main horde on this ship. Philico made no attempt at all to appear like a native to the Drominad system, save a slightly tanner set of skin hordelings. The same could... not be said for AraRaash, to say the least. The costume was what had tipped Philico off that this wasn't Faleast.

Philico walked around the corner, wearing his usual face. He nodded at AraRaash- though the kandra looked like Faleast- and replied, "We just keep running into each other, don't we?"

Sighs in Oh gosh, I’m finally back in a game”.

Seriously it’s been forever. Like, practically an entire week. Ridiculous. I can already feel the comfortable blanket of stress and paranoia settling over me. Good to be back. =P

Time to do some role distribution guessing, even though everyone keeps telling me not to. :P

I guess that there are 2-4 doctors, and that the Elims have at least one. Probably only one.

I doubt they have a trapper, but it is a weak-ish Kill Role, so I wouldn’t be super surprised if they did. There could be 2 trappers in the game, but I doubt more than that.

I think we only have one security officer, and I bet their vil. Maybe I’m semi-biased here though, because it’s very similar to tos jailor role, which is always vil afaik.

Aviar Holder could be either faction. I bet we have 3-4 of these, and the Elims have at least one. 

Biologist feels like a village role, I don’t think Elims would benefit from that very much. No guesses on how many there are.

I guess we have 2-3 bookkeepers. I am relatively sure one would be an Elim.

Im confused about the messenger role. Can they create PMs between two other people, like AG Prudence? Or do they just create as many one-on one PMs with themselves and someone else? If it’s the first one, I guess we only have one. If it’s the second, I guess we have 2, with one Elim.

I also guess we have a 4 person Elim team. So my guesses for the Elim team roles are: Aviar Holder, Doctor, Bookkeeper, Vanilla.

4 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Im confused about the messenger role. Can they create PMs between two other people, like AG Prudence? Or do they just create as many one-on one PMs with themselves and someone else? If it’s the first one, I guess we only have one. If it’s the second, I guess we have 2, with one Elim.

The messenger only has their one PM restriction removed. They can't create PMs between two other people. So the second one.

Isn't Biologist basically the same role that Breaker had in QF50 that he kinda used to get a village read? :P 

Hmm good point. Okay there might be an Elim Bio, but I’m sticking with my previous guess for the whole team. 

3 minutes ago, Dannex said:

the comfortable blanket of stress and paranoia settling over me.

:P.

3 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I guess that there are 2-4 doctors

2-4?????? I can think two maybe, but a whole quarter of us being doctors is just wayyyyy too much for what I'm thinking. I also hate doing setup spec. butttt aaaanyways-

5 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I don’t think Elims would benefit from that very much

See: all the times the Elims get given an alignment scanner :P.

6 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I guess we have 2-3 bookkeepers. I am relatively sure one would be an Elim.

This again feels like too much to me??? idk, 3 role scanners is a lot for a 16 person game Imo.

11 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Aviar Holder, Doctor, Bookkeeper, Vanilla.

Doctor and bookkeeper make sense to me, but I don't see the use of an Elim!Aviar Holder, but afdhlgkjd that doesn't mean they weren't given one. I mean, kinda use, but at the same time it would only be appliccable for trappers, and they only have one kill- so not that difficult to avoid, imo?

Inb4 Illwei flips Elim!Aviar Holder

12 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Can they create PMs between two other people

I would also like to know this >:).

7 minutes ago, Straw said:

The messenger only has their one PM restriction removed. They can't create PMs between two other people. So the second one.

awwww ;-;

12 minutes ago, Dannex said:

tos

I, too, love the Terms of Service.

3 minutes ago, Illwei said:

I mean, kinda use, but at the same time it would only be appliccable for trappers, and they only have one kill- so not that difficult to avoid, imo?

Ohhh true, for some reason I was thinking aviars would protect from the shrek but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I can still see an Elim!Aviar, but it would be less effective.

4 minutes ago, Illwei said:

I, too, love the Terms of Service.

Yes this is obviously what I was talking about. Totally not Town of Salem. Obviously Terms of Service. XD. 

[OOC: Fourth of the Dark is played as a series of journal entries about the game that are equivalent to the posts I would normally send, so the only difference is that “village”, “elim”, player names, etc. are replaced with their in-game names, there’s a lot more fluff, and it’s all in italics. Please offer these posts a cursory glance, since in previous games with Fourth, he was ignored along with all of my use[ful|less] tips. Ta! Also, the bits about cleansing Patji are not an elim claim. Sidenote: Sorry for not existing for hours, I was dragged away by family.]

I have returned at last to the land of my origin. Becoming one of a multitude was not anticipated, but I have been changed for the better. The Father has always been merciful, and in exchange, I shall ensure that it remains itself, as always. But of course, to destroy the enemy, one must understand the enemy. And so, I am determined to comprehend this ship.

Messages are limited. Tied votes call upon fate’s mercy [see the Bar]. There is no manipulation of opinions, so orchestrating a tie is simple. Sabotaged parts are repaired in a relatively short duration, though it seems that the crew needs more mechanics. Take advantage of this delay when time is needed.

The two core factions seem to be remarkably similar in long-term goals and names [which are all pretentiously long and meaningless], but in the short-term, the Southern Influence Commerce Syndicate Crewmembers want the mission to succeed and the Northern Interest Trading Company Saboteurs want the mission to fail. I want them all to fail.

Now onto the parts of the ship.

Aviar Holding Area: See Aviar Holder, moderately low priority target [Keeps people from surviving kills, but Sabetours may have one]

Brig: See Security Officer, moderately high priority target [The only protect and roleblock, disarm and keep down]

Main Office: See Messenger, Bookkeeper, Doctor, moderately high priority target. [Three roles for the price of one, Doctor is powerful since it breaks the death barrier, Bookkeeper is less important, and Messenger is helpful for all sides, if you want to disable the death barrier you may just want to hit the hospital]

Laboratory: See Biologist, moderately low priority target [they can see who you target, not what you do, though in late-game it may be critical]

Trapper’s Quarters: See Trapper, moderate priority target [Trapper kills are dangerous and sabotaging this at a crucial time can cripple them later, but not urgent early on]

Crew’s Mess: PMs, low priority target [PMs can help Sabotuers too, very limited PMs, maybe cut off mid to late, up priority if Biologist sharing]

Hospital: Dead people get to talk for a cycle, very high priority target [especially in later stages or when the kill target knows the killer’s identity, it breaks the death barrier, so you have to strike this down once the pool of suspicion narrows]

Bar: Ties no longer kill, low priority target [There’s no manipulation, so ties can’t be orchestrated, and sabotage is public, so everyone will know to avoid the tie.]

Priority of sabotage: Hospital, Main Office, Brig, Laboratory [very important in later stages], Crew’s Mess [more important once knowledge is possessed but not shared], Trapper’s Quarters [more important in later stages], Aviar Holding Area [more important in later stages], Bar [basically useless]

There are a variety of roles on this ship.

Aviar Holder: Survive a kill [don’t take this to mean you can act without fear. Your life depends on the Aviar Holding Area. Make decisions as though the holding area will disappear at any moment]

Biologist: See targets [Moderately alright, though since there are so many roles  that can target, it may not be useful until the later stages. Stay alive, keep your head down, and find a way to share information.]

Bookkeeper: Rolescan [Roles don’t indicate alignment, but good for finding the Biologist. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE based on role. DO NOT TRUST THE BOOKKEEPER based on role.]

Doctor: Can speak to the dead [You break the death barrier. Paramount importance that you mine them for as much information as you can get. Once they fade, all the information they got is gone. Take all the information they’ll give you. TO THE DYING: Make sure you delineate your knowledge as certainties, unconfirmed near-facts, suspicions, paranoia, etc. Clarity is important because you will be gone. Unless you are a Saboteur. Then just confuse people. Take advantage of the remaining time you get. Share everything. Talk with your fellow dying. List all of your theories [clearly labeled as such], everything you can think of, all the possibilities you can conjure. The dead are not yet gone, so make the most of it.]

Messenger: You may commune with a multitude, though only individually.

Security Officer: You protect and roleblock at once. [Unfortunately, protecting a powerful Crewmember role is nonviable since you also roleblock them. Protect random roleless people?]

Trapper: Deadly. [1-shot killer. Save this, but the Saboteurs may sabotage the Trapper’s Quarters in the late game, so use once suspicions coalesce. Use your instincts to deny your instincts to deny your instincts.]

There are sixteen of us. I could believe that there are three or four of them. If there are three, they are stronger. Perhaps with an Aviar Holder. If there are four, perhaps not.

Unfortunately, it seems that I am late to this gathering. I shall document what has been said in an attempt to analyse it.

1. Philico: Excited about a Hospital [Did they come from a land without medical care?], accuses Second of Daybreak for building the ship [voting for no reason whatsoever irks me], thinks there are 4 saboteurs [I concur]
  2. Quinn: Is Philico a Doctor? Agrees with 4
  3. Philico: Not a Doctor.
  4. Quinn: Speculates on Doctor quantities, assumes many Doctors, suspects 1 Saboteur Doctor [Are they a Doctor? Certainty has implications.]
  5. Illwei: A questioning tone that vaguely confuses me, assumptions
  6. Quinn: Assumptions, suspending.
  7. Third of the Eclipse: Chatter, votes Locke Tekiel for being foreign.
  8. Illwei: Adores chaos, votes Quinn for not obeying chaos, awaits my arrival [I apologise]
  9. Quinn: Banter, votes self for fun
  10. Illwei: Banter
  11. Philico: Assuming only 1 is also an assumption
  12. Quinn: Discusses concurrent existence
  13. Illwei: Discussing the myriad is forbidden.
  14. Quinn: Really?
  15. Philico: Ah.
  16. Quinn: Point...
  17. Third of the Dawn: Exists
  18. First of the Bone: Longs to be a pirate [Would you like to form an alliance and burn this organisation to the ground? We can keep the ship afterwards]
  19. Illwei: Time, multitudes
  20. Patji: Multitudes
  21. Illwei: Private communication
  22. Quinn: Apologises to the Father
  23. Philico: Chats with Bone
  24. Illwei: Let fate decide? [No.]
  25. Danex: Speculation, 2-4 Doctors [a bit high there mate], Crewmember Security Officer [assumptions, assumptions], 3-4 Aviar Holders [absurd, too many, 4 extra lives?], 2-3 Bookkeepers [perhaps]. Valid assumptions, all of them, but a bit too certain.
  26. Quinn: Scanner plausibly Saboteur
  27. Patji: Messenger is not a messenger, but a selfish little spider
  28. Danex: Viable
  29. Illwei: Responds to Danex
  30. Danex: Misunderstandings

I have learned nothing from what has been stated, besides the fact that many are foreigners. Danex is clever, probably wrong about some things.

Edited by Gears
Formatting