How soft are Rosharan gemstones?

3 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Probably not, but this is simply speculation. Only ionic bond has charge.

Did I misunderstand? I thought you were saying that the Investiture was replacing some of the ionic bond energy?

14 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Did I misunderstand? I thought you were saying that the Investiture was replacing some of the ionic bond energy?

Probably it replces some of the energy of whatever bond happened to be. For diamond it is covalent bond, neutral.

Edited by Bzhydack

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

reminds me of what happened to Elantris, it was infused with power, but when the power left it was weaker

I suppose it would be similar to what happened to the Elantrians. The power was suddenly removed from them and they withered.

1 hour ago, KSub said:

I suppose it would be similar to what happened to the Elantrians. The power was suddenly removed from them and they withered.

The Elantrians were kept in a halfway state of a transformation, which is a different sort of thing. The stones were suffering from what sounds like essentially the same thing as savantism, similar to Spook in HoA. (Which is what you described in this message.)

So I think it's fair to say that we think the Investiture is taking up some form of "space" in the gemstone and leaving it structurally weakened, yes?

Even with the weakened structure, I'm not sure that explains another scene in RoW that I just remembered: When Venli frees Ulim, dosen't she crack a gem BAREHANDED, while in workform? This seems like a lot more than just some general weakening.

I only have the audiobook ATM, so could someone pls check my memory?

43 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Even with the weakened structure, I'm not sure that explains another scene in RoW that I just remembered: When Venli frees Ulim, dosen't she crack a gem BAREHANDED, while in workform? This seems like a lot more than just some general weakening.

Dalinar also cruched gemstone in hands when he unbonds Oathbringer.

1 hour ago, Bzhydack said:

Dalinar also cruched gemstone in hands when he unbonds Oathbringer.

I think you're thinking of Adolin in the dueling arena. He was wearing Shardplate then, so Plate's superstrength explains that instance.

3 hours ago, LabRat said:

So I think it's fair to say that we think the Investiture is taking up some form of "space" in the gemstone and leaving it structurally weakened, yes?

I only have the audiobook ATM, so could someone pls check my memory?

Carapace is hard and stony and Singer gems had a lot of flaws. Cracking a gem isn’t that difficult if you know what you’re doing and your nails are basically stone.

It could just be that they are grown organically. Gems are usually formed under heat and pressure. You can make crystals by boiling water with salt.

It does seem odd that they are so easy to break though. There's probably something else.

Edited by KSub

12 hours ago, KSub said:

It could just be that they are grown organically. Gems are usually formed under heat and pressure. You can make crystals by boiling water with salt.

It does seem odd that they are so easy to break though. There's probably something else.

They are grown organically, Most of Rosharian gems are gemhearts from diferent crabs. Chasmfiends gemhearts are so desired for just because they are big, and their gemhearts are big.

On 29.01.2021 at 3:07 AM, Frustration said:

This is Szeth and Navani we're talking about. If Szeth wants something broken, it breaks. And Navani knows what she's doing.

On 29.01.2021 at 3:52 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

Refresh my memory, did he have Nightblood partly unsheathed? That does seem to enhance physical attributes, which would give him the strength to hurl them against the wall hard enough... maybe.

He is a Skybreaker with surge of division, I don't think he needs Nightblood to crack some gems. He might have used the power unintentionally like Kalladin attracting arrows.

27 minutes ago, Szmit said:

He is a Skybreaker with surge of division, I don't think he needs Nightblood to crack some gems. He might have used the power unintentionally like Kalladin attracting arrows.

Gemstones are (like Aluminum) magicly inert. At least partialy. This is one from few reasons they are so valuable - you cannot soulcast them.

Edited by Bzhydack

3 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Gemstones are (like Aluminum) magicly inert. At least partialy. This is one from few reasons they are so valuable - you cannot soulcast them.

WoB?

Also, do you mean "because you cannot make them by soulcasting"? Because that wouldn't be being intert, that'd be human not being skilled enough.

20 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

You can not create gemstones with Soulcasting. You can create Aluminium with Soulcasting, but you can not Soulcast it into something else. Their situation is very much different.

I'm pretty sure that Shallan used gems as focus points for illusions to make them hold longer.

Edited by Szmit
claryfication

2 hours ago, Szmit said:

They are grown organically, Most of Rosharian gems are gemhearts from diferent crabs. Chasmfiends gemhearts are so desired for just because they are big, and their gemhearts are big.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I posted that in a hurry.

I was trying to say that gems are usually formed under heat and pressure. An organically grown gem would not have much heat and pressure driving the crystals together.

Those salt crystals I referred to are quite brittle. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that gemhearts are also not very strong. That could be why they are embedded in glass when used for currency.

4 minutes ago, KSub said:

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I posted that in a hurry.

I was trying to say that gems are usually formed under heat and pressure. An organically grown gem would not have much heat and pressure driving the crystals together.

Those salt crystals I referred to are quite brittle. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that gemhearts are also not very strong. That could be why they are embedded in glass when used for currency.

1. I assumed that was what you meant, I was listing of two theories, that it might be brittle because of organic growth, and that Szeth used subconcious division.
  2. That would make sense considering that perfect gems are so rare, and most gems are gemhearts.

Also a relevant wob, that bight be connected to how easily the break:

Overlord Jebus

So you've previously described gemhearts as Investiture leaking into the Physical Realm in a similar kind of process to atium. Now atium had a way of-- the Investiture used in the creation of it-- of returning back to the kind of background pool of Investiture on Scadrial. Is there a way of the Investiture used in the creation of gemhearts to return to the Roshar Investiture pool?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Overlord Jebus

There is? Have we had any hints of it at all?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

1 minute ago, Szmit said:
  1. I assumed that was what you meant, I was listing of two theories, that it might be brittle because of organic growth, and that Szeth used subconcious division.
  2. That would make sense considering that perfect gems are so rare, and most gems are gemhearts.

Also a relevant wob, that bight be connected to how easily the break:

Overlord Jebus

So you've previously described gemhearts as Investiture leaking into the Physical Realm in a similar kind of process to atium. Now atium had a way of-- the Investiture used in the creation of it-- of returning back to the kind of background pool of Investiture on Scadrial. Is there a way of the Investiture used in the creation of gemhearts to return to the Roshar Investiture pool?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Overlord Jebus

There is? Have we had any hints of it at all?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Hmm. That's interesting since metals burned by mistings presumably are exchanged for investiture. If not then there should be a whole lot of heavy metal poisoning on Scadrial. I wonder what the mechanism by which gemhearts are broken down to investiture could be. Some kind of cremling, or maybe the highstorm?

1 hour ago, AquaRegia said:

That's weird.  Gemstones "store Investiture"... and they also "ARE Investiture"?  What does the term "dun gemstone" mean, then?  "It's a piece of solid Investiture - with no Investiture in it?"  *scratches head*

It's a solid piece of investiture with no gaseous investiture inside.

And anyway matter is investiture so it's not a new issue.

19 minutes ago, Szmit said:

That might be also why soulcasters break gems. When you pull Stormlight too fast it might also pull a bit of material like a fast water stream.

Very minor Dawnshard spoiler

Spoiler

Light tastes different to The Lopen depending on what type of sphere it comes from