Stupid semi-cosmere questions

Enter a username

So, stupid questions with one foot in the Cosmere and one foot... not. For example:

Gold compounding vs Avada Kedavra?

Gold compounding vs Crucio?

Copper vs Crucio and Imperio?

Brass/zinc vs dementors (and/or their effects)?

Any sorts of stupid questions and speculating the answers. (No intelligent questions, though, like "fabrial with atium cage" sorts of questions.)

I'm honestly not sure if this belongs in Forum Games and Random Stuff or not.

17 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

With this, I don't think Avada Kedavra does any physical damage, so gold compounding wouldn't do much. I always thought of it as more of an instantaneous disconnection between spirit and body.

Well, (Bands of Mourning)

Spoiler

We have seen gold Feruchemy reverse death before.

So I think gold compounding would work.

2 hours ago, Enter a username said:

So, stupid questions with one foot in the Cosmere and one foot... not. For example:

Any sorts of stupid questions and speculating the answers. (No intelligent questions, though, like "fabrial with atium cage" sorts of questions.)

Gold compounding would do nothing for Avada kedavra or crucial. Neither do physical harm, and gold compounding can only heal harm on the body.

I think that copper would protect you from crucio and imperio, but not avada kedavra.

I don’t think that brass or zinc would do anything against a dementor, but I honestly have no clue.

1 hour ago, Enter a username said:

Well, (Bands of Mourning)

Reveal hidden contents

We have seen gold Feruchemy reverse death before.

So I think gold compounding would work.

Bands of Mourning

Spoiler

Are you referring to Wax coming back to life? Harmony brought Wax back to life, but didn’t heal his body. After Wax came back the gold compounding is what healed his body, but it isn’t what brought him back to life.

1 hour ago, Chinkoln said:

Gold compounding would do nothing for Avada kedavra or crucial. Neither do physical harm, and gold compounding can only heal harm on the body.

I think that copper would protect you from crucio and imperio, but not avada kedavra.

I don’t think that brass or zinc would do anything against a dementor, but I honestly have no clue.

Bands of Mourning

Hide contents

Are you referring to Wax coming back to life? Harmony brought Wax back to life, but didn’t heal his body. After Wax came back the gold compounding is what healed his body, but it isn’t what brought him back to life.

I understand why you would think that, but it isn't actually correct.

Gold compounding heals spiritually, cognitively, and spiritually. For example, brandon has confirmed it could heal a shardblade, or even a hemalurgic spike wound.

Physical is just what's visible.

(It's been a little while, so take this one with a grain of salt please)

3 hours ago, Enter a username said:

Gold compounding wins

Gold compounding has no effect, so I guess crucio?

Copper wins if draining enough, imperio wins

Hmm. It depends on strength, I suppose. Generally, I feel like dementors are stronger, but a decent misting who's flaring could probably beat it?

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

I understand why you would think that, but it isn't actually correct.

Gold compounding heals spiritually, cognitively, and spiritually. For example, brandon has confirmed it could heal a shardblade, or even a hemalurgic spike wound.

Physical is just what's visible.

Ya, I worded my original answer weird. Let me try again.

When someone uses Avada Kedavra, it immediately separates the soul from the body, in an irreversible way. Now there are 2 ways I can think of that gold compounding would fail. First, there is no Spiritweb or Identity remaining for the gold to use as a template (this is my shakier theory). My stronger theory is that this curse is irreversible. When you are bringing in magic from another system, you need to play by their rules. According to Harry Potter rules, once someone has been hit, they can't come back. (Except for a few unique situations). The small chance that someone can "come back" under normal circumstances is with the Resurrection Stone, and the Cosmere equivalent of that is a Cognitive Shadow.

This is where he says you need to play by their rules, sorry for it being so long.

deleted

Think Dalinar could lift [Mjolnir]?

Brandon Sanderson

Hmm... It's a question I hadn't considered. I guess it depends on the criteria. I've never been able to figure out exactly what makes one worthy. Maybe it's more of a feel than specific criteria.

Of my characters, I'd suspect Dalinar is the closest. I'd say yes, depending on circumstances, but I am not 100% sure in the judgement.

HeavyShake7

Do you think Dalinar may have some problems with the hammer since he's afraid of himself, his powers?

Also I think Dalinar made a mistake when he refused to be a king...He's probably the best choice, but he still follows that promise he made to his brother when he was a young man.

Wouldn't it be better for Dalinar if he stopped being so uncertain of himself?

Brandon Sanderson

It would indeed be better for Dalinar if he'd grow a little more confident about himself--but I think he's no more uncertain than Thor in Endgame. So I think he'd have a good shot of at least budging the hammer.

PreventFloristFriars

What about Wax? Not that I see him using a hammer...

Brandon Sanderson

I wouldn't say Wax could lift it. Doesn't feel right. He resents being Harmony's agent, even still. He's a weapon himself, in many ways.

PandaEatsRage

Thor makes mistakes. Picks the wrong sides, gets tricked into wrong actions. It’s intent I think. It’s the courage to go on when faced with impossible odds. It’s also Odin who puts the requirement on it. It’s not some nebulous spiritual ideal. He needs a warrior and a fighter who can still get up in the morning after what they’ve done for a greater good.

Brandon Sanderson

I agree. It's more than just being a good guy--otherwise, Spider-man would be able to hold the hammer. You've got to both have good motives, but also the soul of a fighter.

This prevents someone like, say, Sazed from my books from being able to hold it. But I don't think someone like Kelsier, though shooting for good goals in the end, would be able to lift it. He's too much of an assassin, and a little too concerned with himself. Vin, as someone else pointed out, probably could have done it at the end of the third book. Dalinar. Kaladin wouldn't believe in himself enough, I suspect--but it would depend on the situation.

It's tricky because you don't simply want the magic of the hammer to be about someone with pure motives--you want it, I think, to be someone who fits the spirit and intent of the hammer.

[deleted]

What about Elend? He's the character that immediately came to mind when I heard this question.

Brandon Sanderson

Elend, I'd say no. He probably wouldn't want to--more of a Black Widow situation there. "Not interested. Isn't relevant to me."

BastMatt95

What about Taln? Could he lift it, assuming he hadn't lost his sanity?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Taln would be one of the most worthy I could think of in the Cosmere. Less of a question than Dalinar, actually.

mraize7

What about Vasher??

Brandon Sanderson

Vasher has enough trouble with magical weapons. He wouldn't go near another one.

Rhea_and_Migi

What about Adolin? He has a good heart, he is compassionate, honorable and he definitely is a fighter.

Brandon Sanderson

My gut says no. It's about more than being honorable and a fighter--the fact that Iron Man and Spider-man are both shown being unable to lift the hammer (granted, Spider-Man it was only implied by the hammer towing him away) says it's about more than just being a fighter and being honorable.

Enasor

What would, in your estimation, be what Adolin is missing to lift the hammer? Is it because he doesn't have as much of a warrior's heart as Taln or Dalinar? Or is it a matter of him not being as strong as he believes he is?

Brandon Sanderson

It's hard to say specifically, as I don't know the canon reasoning for who can and can't lift the hammer. Tony can't, Peter can't, but Steve can--and so can Thor, even in the new film.

I'd say that Adolin needs to decide what his ideals are. He's in a confusing stage for himself, because deep down, he can't decide what man he wants to be. Is he an inferior version of his father, or is he someone else, who needs to find his own way?

Settling this question is going to be vital to Adolin in coming years.

Enasor

Are the reasons why you believe Adolin wouldn't be able to lift Mjolnir the same reasons why the sprens skipped him when came the time to turn the Kholin family into Radiants?

In other words, is this why Adolin isn't a Radiant? Because he doesn't know who he is nor who he wants to be?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, I'm afraid. (Sorry.)

[deleted]

[deleted]

Brandon Sanderson

Old Dalinar. I don't think young Dalinar's motives were right for holding the hammer.

grrrwoofwoof

How about Rock? He could probably lift it without even realizing what it means.

Brandon Sanderson

I think Mjolnir might have problems with his pacifism.

learhpa

Hmm. that leads to the hard question: could Hoid lift it? :)

Brandon Sanderson

No. Not a chance.

eri_pl

What?!? No seriously… I don't mean Hoid honestly being worthy… but he doesn't do much things honestly anyway.

I think that (assuming that Mjolnir's power level is +- a Honorblade), Hoid could deceive Mjolnir for long enough to be able to use it… wouldn't he?

Brandon Sanderson

I think if we're bringing a Marvel item into the equation, we have to play by their rules, not mine. Odin is one of the most powerful beings in the MCU, powerful enough that even Thanos feared him, by my understanding. I think by their rules, it would be difficult to fool the magic.

Hoid would be much more likely to find a being who IS worthy, but who is also dumb enough to be duped, and get them to do what he wanted with the hammer.

General Reddit 2019 (May 23, 2019)

Edited by Chinkoln

• 1 month later...

Yeah, but the fact that Avada Kedavra is irreversible in the books isn't built into the spell. It's just because they do not have any magic which can bring back the dead. We do, in the cosmere have such magic. (For certain values of dead, of course)

Edited by theTruthshaper