Question concerning splinters and the 16 vessels:

Levin

Question

Since we've obviously seen the shattering of Adonalsium (Not literally) and the splintering of other shards. What stopped the original 16 from splintering their own shards and taking up the other 15 pieces from each other? Making a series of mini-adonalsiums with their powers, but equalized as to not change the person holding them nearly as much. Possibly reducing these conflicts we've seen. Any WoB on this topic, or is this too outlandish a question to be considering.

11 answers to this question

They probably did not know it could be done and I'm assuming there were agreements in place to prevent these kinds of attacks. Even Odium apparently learned to properly Splinter another Shard later on in his career. All the Shards had agreed, though not formally, to not interfere with one another and possibly to not stay behind on Yolen, infighting was probably also considered within this agreement. They probably also did not expect how strong the effect of holding a Shard and getting aligned with with its Intent would be.

There was probably some element of greed to it in certain cases (Rayse comes to mind particularly), and since those others would have doubtlessly known about it due to their association with Rayse over the time it takes to trust someone enough to murder a deity with them, it would have been a not-so-good idea to splinter their own powers then and there, knowing that at least one among them wouldn't have had the desire to do so and not knowing how much a split like that would have affected their Shards.

It also may have something to do with the old oath they made to keep Shards away from one another. 

Hey there, welcome to the Shard! I just wanted to pipe in really quick and note that when you paste in text from another source, it will keep formatting. So in this case, your original post was light grey which was hard to read. I hope you do not mind that I changed it back to black. There's a few ways to mitigate this: 1. When you paste, the editor will pop up with a message saying it has formatting, and has a link where you can remove the formatting if you wish, or 2. You can simply hit the A and change the text color there. Let me know if you have any site questions! 

also, that wouldn't necessarily have worked.  as an example, splitting Honor into 16 smaller pieces would probably not give you 16 mini-Honors.  instead youd have sub-shards for i dunno maybe law, fairness, oathkeeping, etc.  basically each of the mini shards would probably have its own separate intent representing a component of the larger intent.  then mixing and matching them to get back to 16 would just be equivalent to shattering Adonalsium a different way from the get go.

56 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hey there, welcome to the Shard! I just wanted to pipe in really quick and note that when you paste in text from another source, it will keep formatting. So in this case, your original post was light grey which was hard to read. I hope you do not mind that I changed it back to black. There's a few ways to mitigate this: 1. When you paste, the editor will pop up with a message saying it has formatting, and has a link where you can remove the formatting if you wish, or 2. You can simply hit the A and change the text color there. Let me know if you have any site questions! 

Ah my fault! I hadn’t realized, but thank you for the warm welcome! I posted my question a few places so I could get more varied answers haha.

I’ve just started making my way through the cosmere works and have only finished the current SA works, so I’ve got a lot of unanswered questions rattling around in my head.

17 minutes ago, Invocation said:

There was probably some element of greed to it in certain cases (Rayse comes to mind particularly), and since those others would have doubtlessly known about it due to their association with Rayse over the time it takes to trust someone enough to murder a deity with them, it would have been a not-so-good idea to splinter their own powers then and there, knowing that at least one among them wouldn't have had the desire to do so and not knowing how much a split like that would have affected their Shards.

It also may have something to do with the old oath they made to keep Shards away from one another. 

Ah yeah, the old oaths make me wonder. I read some older WoB about the reason for shards seeming polarity in the different systems, that always intrigued me, but I find it hard to believe the group that banded together to destroy god couldn’t trust each other at that time.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

also, that wouldn't necessarily have worked.  as an example, splitting Honor into 16 smaller pieces would probably not give you 16 mini-Honors.  instead youd have sub-shards for i dunno maybe law, fairness, oathkeeping, etc.  basically each of the mini shards would probably have its own separate intent representing a component of the larger intent.  then mixing and matching them to get back to 16 would just be equivalent to shattering Adonalsium a different way from the get go.

Ah yes, I hadn’t considered that there would be different ratios for splinters. There’s just too much about the original 16’s plan that isn’t answered yet. It seemed so haphazard, and the events immediately following the shattering are also vague, I can’t wait for their story (or subsequent flashbacks / novellas)

One more thing, you can quote multiple people in the same post using the multiquote feature, which is the + button next to Quote. We would prefer you not making multiple posts one after another, but don't worry, I realize it is a little confusing, so don't worry about it :) 

9 hours ago, Levin said:

Ah yeah, the old oaths make me wonder. I read some older WoB about the reason for shards seeming polarity in the different systems, that always intrigued me, but I find it hard to believe the group that banded together to destroy god couldn’t trust each other at that time.

Honestly I wouldn't trust anyone I teamed up with to slaughter, shred apart, and assume the mantle of a deity. They've done it once, what's to stop them from doing it again? 

11 hours ago, Levin said:

I can’t wait for their story (or subsequent flashbacks / novellas)

Get comfy, because we know the story is planned to come out when Brandon publishes Dragonsteel and that's the second-to-last thing he plans to write (that we know of). We'll all be here a while. xD

Also, welcome to the Shard!

On 1/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, Levin said:

Making a series of mini-adonalsiums with their powers, but equalized as to not change the person holding them nearly as much. Possibly reducing these conflicts we've seen.

I disagree it would likely have this effect. The one example we have, the Vessel is just frozen into inaction by constantly-competing Intents he can barely keep balanced. Holding all 16 Intents sounds like a good way to just essentially get your mind torn apart or something.