Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Celairiel

Shard Vessel -> Sliver?

6 posts in this topic

My sister is just starting reading the Cosmere books and I was explaining shards to her and she asked a question I don't know the answer to and can't find. How long can someone hold a shard before they are considered a Vessel? And how long can they hold it and still give it up (becoming a Sliver)? Can they give it up whenever? Or at some point does giving up the shard kill them? I know that holding the shard slowly changes and destroys the Vessel, so I assume as some point it is no longer possible to give it up.

Just holding it briefly can make you a Sliver, but you do need to hold enough of it to at least kind of ascend. The Lord Ruler only held the power of the Well for a couple of minutes but he did ascend for that brief moment. A Vessel is merely anyone who has held the Shard, so as long as they have held it they are a Vessel. I don't think there is a limit on when they can give it up but it probably becomes harder and harder for them to do the more they get aligned to the Intent but I don't think there is any point that they can't give it up

The Intent of the Shard warps you to it, even after you give it up, so while most of them probably wouldn't kill you directly if you gave up their power, as long as you had the skill and proper Connection to create yourself a functioning body from it, you'd still be affected deeply for the remainder of your life.

So far as we know it, its been roughly 7,000 - 9,000 years since the shattering. Brandon has not canonised this yet. 

He did confirm though that the Shards intent warps the vessel, but from the vessels view of said Shards intent. 

However if the vessel gives up the Shard or ends up dying and becomes a Sliver in the CR...

They slowly lose the pull and history of said intent over time. Not fully eradicating the intent but becoming more the pre-vessel, aka the by-law (personality) as opposed to The Law (Shards intent).

Edited by Thanatos

12 hours ago, Invocation said:

so while most of them probably wouldn't kill you directly if you gave up their power, as long as you had the skill and proper Connection to create yourself a functioning body from it

You wouldn't even need to do anything, the body of the Vessel sublimates upon Ascension and naturally reforms once they stop holding that power. We see Leras and Ati's bodies reappear after their deaths, at which point they were clearly not doing anything conscious to (re)create a body. There's also no indication that Rashek had to do anything special to reclaim his body after the Investiture in the Well of Ascension ran out and Secret History shows something similar. It just seems to be a natural byproduct of how the Shards work that once you stop holding the power, it spits you back out as you were before you Ascended.

Oh, a couple relevant WoBs on Vessels/Slivers for Celairiel:

Argent (paraphrased)

If Ati had somehow managed to give up Ruin and returned to being a regular person, would his mind have gradually reverted from its corruption by Ruin's intent, or would he always be determined to destroy?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Over time Ruin's influence would fade, but Ati would remain a Sliver, so there would be some permanent effects.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

Argent (paraphrased)

What effects does being a Sliver have on a person?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It can vary (on the Shard, the length of time the power was held, the power itself, etc). In some way a Sliver is someone who has had their mind, body, and spirit expanded due to holding a great deal of power, and then have had that power leave.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 1, 2013)

Zach

Also, would the Elantrians and the Lerasium-mistings be considered Slivers? Or is just the Lord Ruler and Vin Slivers (Via the Well)? Or do you need more power to be considered a Sliver?

Brandon Sanderson

Elantrians are not slivers. Mistborn trilogy spoiler warnings follow! The Lord Ruler was indeed a Sliver. So was Vin. For the rest, I would say probably not.

What defines an actual Sliver of Adonalsium is not as clear-cut as you might think. It's a term that in-universe people who study this have applied to various existences and states. Every single person on the world of Scadrial has a bit of Leras in them—a bit of the power of Preservation. Every single person has a bit of Ati in them. There's a certain threshold where these scholars would call you a Sliver of Adonalsium. But I would say that any regular Misting is probably not a Sliver. A full Lerasium Mistborn is getting closer, but people who have held one of the powers are what would probably be termed a Sliver by the definitions. If you hold all the power that makes you a Shard, but the Lord Ruler held a little bit of it and then let it go. From then on they referred to that change in him—the residue, what was left—as a Sliver. When he held it he became the Shard for a short time, and Vin was a Shard for a short time. After Vin gave up the power, what Kelsier is at the end of the trilogy—that's a Sliver of Adonalsium.

Goodreads Fantasy Book Discussion Warbreaker Q&A (Jan. 18, 2010)

Edited by Weltall