Let's make groups of four, RoW edition

mathiau

13 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

It a push and a pull

you make.a powerful dawnshard and ballance it out with its opposites ( it's not groupings it's checks and balances)

Why? A Dawnshard is god ordering the word to do something, what do checks and balances have to do with any of that?

13 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

@mathiau

Youve got some very valuable points here.

So, what suits Autonomy better? Change-Destroy? Or Change-Unite?
 But Change-Unite more suits Ambition...

Hey, I'm not the one trying to sell Destroy and Create as Dawnshard, you are:)

It seems like Unite-Destroy indeed suits Devotion better.

Wait, why?

I disagree, Valor is very much about Unity, and, more important, constancy. Maybe even "Constancy" would suits this one characteristic better? I see this not just making things whole, but also keeping them that way. And Valor is very much being constant in behaviour.

OK but I don't see anything in the word Constancy that have anything to do with Unity

12 hours ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

Has anyone considered one of the Dawnshards could be Connect?  Connection plays such a huge role in the Cosmere, and I personally think there is one Dawnshard that applies to each realm, with one of them being "different from the others".  Connect could be the Dawnshard specific to the creation of the Spiritual Realm or something like that...  

I think we've all being assuming the Dawnshard manipulating Connection was Unity.

18 hours ago, 11thHerald said:

Devotion: Command

Valor: Bind

Wouldn't these too be better switched?

18 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I dunno if Dalinar really has the Unite Dawnshard. There's definitely too much strangeness going on to just declare that as fact until we get more information. Maybe Honor hid Unite inside one of his own Splinters... Maybe the Stormfather? but in a way that makes it mostly inert.

Melishi  held the Unite Dawnshard very soon before Honour's death (the Dawnshard that can bind God, men and singers alike to be exact) so it's unlikely the Stormfather have it since he was still mindless. Maybe Melishi gave Unite back to Honour, it was destroyed when he was splintered and Dalinar reforged it in Oathbringer? Some of us had interpreted that moment as him temporarily using all of Honour, like Rashek at the well, and I guess if it's what happened and there was pieces of Unite in it they would stick with him.

18 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

The thing with it is, if Tanavast had a Dawnshard, why did he say they didn't have them?

It could have meant that they were inaccessible.

10 minutes ago, mathiau said:

It seems like Unite-Destroy indeed suits Devotion better.

Wait, why?

Of course Dominion, simple mistake :lol:

10 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Not me, @Halyo_Alex I just find this idea fitting ;)

OK but I don't see anything in the word Constancy that have anything to do with Unity

When you unite things, you need to keep them that way, otherwise all work is wasted.

Edited by Bzhydack

19 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Of course Dominion, simple mistake :lol:

Yeah that makes more sense^^

Not me, @Halyo_Alex I just find this idea fitting ;)

Oops, sorry

When you unite things, you need to keep them that way, otherwise all work is wasted.

That seems like a very tenuous link to me.

12 minutes ago, 11thHerald said:

The way I've always interpreted Devotion as a Shard is in a worship-like sense, which, in the way I configured the Dawnshards would land under the authority quadrant.

She probably is, but since she's in a yin-yang realtionship with Dominion she has to be the about one worshipping, not the one worshipped.

Edited by mathiau

3 hours ago, mathiau said:

Melishi  held the Unite Dawnshard very soon before Honour's death (the Dawnshard that can bind God, men and singers alike to be exact)

Do we have evidence for this claim?

3 hours ago, mathiau said:

It wouldn't seem to be very inaccessible if Gavilar, Dalinar, and as you claim Melishi all had it. 

3 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Do we have evidence for this claim?

It wouldn't seem to be very inaccessible if Gavilar, Dalinar, and as you claim Melishi all had it. 

I actually mixed up that epigraph from tWoK

“Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.” —From The Poem of Ista.

I have found no modern explanation of what these “Dawnshards” are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies.

With that one from Ob

"Our revelation is fueled by the theory that the Unmade can perhaps be captured like ordinary spren. It would require a special prison. And Melishi."

Why would Galivar ever had Unite? My hypothesis was it was broken between the moment Honour died and Dalinar swore the third oath

48 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Why would Galivar ever had Unite? My hypothesis was it was broken between the moment Honour died and Dalinar swore the third oath

The general theory about Unite tends to involve Dalinar's UNITE THEM, which Gavilar heard too. (May not apply to your specific theory after all, my bad.)

2 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I just always assumed that was cultivation meddling

I mean, I've always just been of the opinion that it's exactly what it seems on the surface, it's Honor/Dalinar being obsessed to the point he's hearing it when it's not directly being said/weird Spiritual Connection mumbo jumbo.

19 hours ago, mathiau said:

Why? A Dawnshard is god ordering the word to do something, what do checks and balances have to do with any of that?

Wait, why?

I think we've all being assuming the Dawnshard manipulating Connection was Unity.

Wouldn't these too be better switched?

Melishi  held the Unite Dawnshard very soon before Honour's death (the Dawnshard that can bind God, men and singers alike to be exact) so it's unlikely the Stormfather have it since he was still mindless. Maybe Melishi gave Unite back to Honour, it was destroyed when he was splintered and Dalinar reforged it in Oathbringer? Some of us had interpreted that moment as him temporarily using all of Honour, like Rashek at the well, and I guess if it's what happened and there was pieces of Unite in it they would stick with him.

I have not been assuming Unity is a Dawnshard...  I'd bet a lot of money that it isn't.  

16 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

The general theory about Unite tends to involve Dalinar's UNITE THEM, which Gavilar heard too. (May not apply to your specific theory after all, my bad.)

Indeed it doesn't, only the "Unite them" that the Stormfather don't hear would be from the Dawnshard and we don't know if Galivar ever heard them, and even if he did we know you can feel the call of a Dawnshard before obtaining it and it's likely someone invested will hear it more distinctly, probably up to actually hearing it's name.

1 hour ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

I have not been assuming Unity is a Dawnshard...  I'd bet a lot of money that it isn't.  

It's possible but the "I'm Unity" feels insanely similar to the sleepless tell Rysn that she's change.

49 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

I think the best would be "Persist", as includes Unite and Survive, and is in oposition to Change.

Persist doesn't realy work as a "Dawnshard known to bind any creature voidish or mortal". And why would it include Unite?

I don't think the Dawnshard are in opposite to each other any more than the Shards are, more in complementarity.

Crazy idea I don't know if I've seen posted anywhere yet but what if one of the dawnshards is PROTECT. That would fit as one of the divine commands of a God and as well I think of how Hoid once held a dawnshard and that is what makes him unable to hurt living things anymore... Wouldn't that make sense if it was because he held the dawnshard devoted to protecting all life? Just a crazy little theory here.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:24 PM, mathiau said:

Before RoW came,  @Kinolee made this theory trying make group of four Shards tied to the same Dawnshard, I didn't see a new version after the revelations of RoW so I'm making one

First, I'd like to start with this WoB

From the difference in shape of the mural compared to the chart, it's likely the internal/external differentiation won't be present. It's possible the pushing/pulling one would be absent too but it's almost certain the four quadrant division will indeed be there.

Since we cannot really separate Shards in four Dawnshard if we only know one of them, I'll do the same supposition as Kinolee did and assume Unite and Survive are two Dawnshards.

Brandon had talked about a shard who decided to just hide and survive, it's possible it's Invention since he's currently hiding from Harmony but I'll assume he's not. Brandon once accidentally name-drop that a Shard was called "Ingenuity" I think Brandon ended up changing its name to Invention and I won't try to find it a Dawnshard.

For the rest of this theory, I will call the Shards linked to a Dawnshard its "aspects" and I'll call the Shard in Hiding Tsih.

• Change
    • Ruin: destruction, change toward maximal entropy.
    • Cultivation: small nudge to the world so it become how you want it to be.
    • Whimsy: changes for the sake of changing
    • The shard we know nothing about. There could be a call to put Endowment here as "give to other so they change" but this is already included in Cultivation's small nudge. I mean, it's kind of like sowing thing in people.
  • Unite
    • Honour: I'm not even sure I need to argument here. I mean one the Radiants orders have unity as their endgame and prior to RoW half of use assumed Unity was either Honour+Odium or Honour+Odium+Cultivation
    • Dominion, sometime called Conquest: Unite under one's rule
    • Devotion, sometime called Love: Unite for a common cause.
    • Odium. Yes, hate unites, it unite against someone or something, but it still unites.
      Another reason I put it here is the Shards Odium killed, you have Ambition -that even Endowment considered a problem while she sees neither the embodiment of hatred nor the embodiment of conquest as problems- and three aspects of Unity; which makes me believe he was specifically going after aspect of Unity, probably because it's easier too fuse two aspects of the same Dawnshard and he's himself an aspect of Unity.
  • Survive
    • Preservation: Kind of goes without saying.
    • Mercy: letting the other live
    • Autonomy: ability to survive on your own
    • Tsih
  • Something in the line of "Leave a Mark"
    • Ambition: The will to leave a mark on the world
    • Invention: Leave a mark on knowledge/technology
    • Endowment: Leave a mark on other. I kind of see Endowment as that old woman who give a legendary weapon to the hero so they can beat the big bad, nobody will know about her but in way it's because of her the world is safe
    • Valour: This one is a bit trickier, I feel like she belong here but I don't find a way to explaining it in a way that wouldn't suit Ambition better.

So. What do you think of this classification? Do you have a better name for the fourth Dawnshard?

I think this especially works because for unity you have motivators like odium and devotion and methods/ unity for its own sake ones like honor and dominion

The leaving a mark ones all work well

the survive ones are good I think valor is a survive shard it’s about dealing with  situation where survival is not certain 

the change ones are good too

Also what do we know about dawnshards 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 6:50 PM, Valigus said:

Also what do we know about dawnshards 

Not much sadly.

Hoid used to hold at least one that's related to the gem he mentioned to Kal. Him being immortal and unable to physically hurt people is a result of him holding a Dawnshard for a long time, the immortality part is common to every Dawnshards, no confirmation whether the non-violent part is specific to one of them.

One of the Shards is different from the other

The Dawncities where made using a Dawnshard. I want to say Change+Stoneshaping but I'm not sure whether the Dawncities predates Ashyn's destruction while it's almost certain Change arriving to Roshar happened after.

There's a "Dawnshard known to bind any creature voidish or mortal" mentioned in The Poem of Ista which itself was mentioned in Jasnah's notes. This one is most likely still on Roshar

So here’s my reworked theory:

Change (Temporal): This is the one Rysn had

(Push)Cultivation-(Pull)Ruin (external)

(Push)Invention-(Pull)Whimsy (Internal)

Connect (Unite) (Spiritual): This is the one that binds and is the second Rosharan Dawnshard

(Push)Dominion-(Pull)Honor (External)

(Push)Odium-(Pull)Devotion (Internal)

Endure (Survive) (Physical): This is the one Hoid held and it may be on Scadrial.

(Push)Industry-(Pull)Preservation (external)

(Push)Prudence/Wisdom-(Pull)Mercy (internal)

Aspire (Mental/Cognitive): We don’t really have any theories or guesses on this one, but it’s likely on a planet with an associated Shard.

(Push)Autonomy-(Pull)Endowment (external)

(Push)Ambition-(Pull)Valor (internal)

I think one Shard of each group was given a Dawnshard to guard.

Cultivation-Change

Honor-Connect

Preservation-Endure

Endowment?-Aspire

If I’m right, the fourth Dawnshard is on Nalthis and that’s why Edgli is so confident she can beat Rayse no matter what.

15 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

So here’s my reworked theory:

Change (Temporal): This is the one Rysn had

(Push)Cultivation-(Pull)Ruin (external)

(Push)Invention-(Pull)Whimsy (Internal)

Connect (Unite) (Spiritual): This is the one that binds and is the second Rosharan Dawnshard

(Push)Dominion-(Pull)Honor (External)

(Push)Odium-(Pull)Devotion (Internal)

Endure (Survive) (Physical): This is the one Hoid held and it may be on Scadrial.

(Push)Industry-(Pull)Preservation (external)

(Push)Prudence/Wisdom-(Pull)Mercy (internal)

Aspire (Mental/Cognitive): We don’t really have any theories or guesses on this one, but it’s likely on a planet with an associated Shard.

(Push)Autonomy-(Pull)Endowment (external)

(Push)Ambition-(Pull)Valor (internal)

I think one Shard of each group was given a Dawnshard to guard.

Cultivation-Change

Honor-Connect

Preservation-Endure

Endowment?-Aspire

If I’m right, the fourth Dawnshard is on Nalthis and that’s why Edgli is so confident she can beat Rayse no matter what.

Oooh, I like these. I think I might believe you on the Aspire dawnshard too, I haven't heard of it before but I do like the idea... Hmm.

I wonder if Aspire was used by Edgli during the Awakening of Nightblood as part of the "funny business" going on with his creation? Lemme check for WoBs on Nightblood's Awakening and see if I can suss out something like that.

Yup, found it after a solid 10 minutes of searching.

OrangeJedi

When Nightblood created, was Endowment involved in any way more than normal?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question, you qualified that the right way! I would say yes, but maybe not to the extent you're thinking.

OrangeJedi

Normal being using Endowment's Investiture to Awaken. There's something special.

Brandon Sanderson

I would say, there is something special.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

So maybe Aspire was a part of awakening him.

18 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Oooh, I like these. I think I might believe you on the Aspire dawnshard too, I haven't heard of it before but I do like the idea... Hmm.

I wonder if Aspire was used by Edgli during the Awakening of Nightblood as part of the "funny business" going on with his creation? Lemme check for WoBs on Nightblood's Awakening and see if I can suss out something like that.

Yup, found it after a solid 10 minutes of searching.

So maybe Aspire was a part of awakening him.

I’m glad you like it! Thank you!

On 19/02/2021 at 3:31 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Permission to steal that to update the OP?

I don't think Honour and Cultivation were the one chosen to take care of Unite and Change, Change almost certainly came to Roshar after Ashyn's destruction since Horneaters have story of it and we know Odium's human had one on Ashyn which probably was Unite since Ishar was already known as the Binder of Gods by that time.

I think Change was given to Invention but at some point he decided to stop contact with the other Shards and sent his Dawnshard to Cultivation. For Unite I think it was given to Devotion and taking it from her was one of the reason Odium decided to take a stop to Sel while searching of Ambition, along with Devotion being the Shard the closest to being Odium's opposite.

Spoiler

Argent

Some of the few Shards Rayse Splintered included Ambition, I believe, Dominion, and Devotion.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

And those were all way back, in the history. So, we know that the Shards' personalities overrides the Vessel's personality over time?

Brandon Sanderson

Strongly influence, and depending on the individual, override.

Argent

Okay. So did Rayse choose those Shards because--

Brandon Sanderson

He went after Ambition first, but didn't find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

Argent

Was it because of the Shard or because of the Vessel? Like did he hate the person?

Brandon Sanderson

In this case it was the Shard, primarily, that drove him--

Argent

Oh, he was maybe afraid the Shard would grow too powerful and take over--

Brandon Sanderson

He was afraid that this Shard that would rival him. And so he's like "This one is number one on the hit list. We're taking down Ambition." But then he got trapped in the Rosharan system.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

Permission to steal that to update the OP?

I don't think Honour and Cultivation were the one chosen to take care of Unite and Change, Change almost certainly came to Roshar after Ashyn's destruction since Horneaters have story of it and we know Odium's human had one on Ashyn which probably was Unite since Ishar was already known as the Binder of Gods by that time.

I think Change was given to Invention but at some point he decided to stop contact with the other Shards and sent his Dawnshard to Cultivation. For Unite I think it was given to Devotion and taking it from her was one of the reason Odium decided to take a stop to Sel while searching of Ambition, along with Devotion being the Shard the closest to being Odium's opposite.

Hide contents

Argent

Some of the few Shards Rayse Splintered included Ambition, I believe, Dominion, and Devotion.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

And those were all way back, in the history. So, we know that the Shards' personalities overrides the Vessel's personality over time?

Brandon Sanderson

Strongly influence, and depending on the individual, override.

Argent

Okay. So did Rayse choose those Shards because--

Brandon Sanderson

He went after Ambition first, but didn't find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

Argent

Was it because of the Shard or because of the Vessel? Like did he hate the person?

Brandon Sanderson

In this case it was the Shard, primarily, that drove him--

Argent

Oh, he was maybe afraid the Shard would grow too powerful and take over--

Brandon Sanderson

He was afraid that this Shard that would rival him. And so he's like "This one is number one on the hit list. We're taking down Ambition." But then he got trapped in the Rosharan system.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

You’re welcome to do so! I’m glad you like my theory!

I like your theory about Change belonging to Invention first. It makes sense.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 2:07 AM, Kahlani said:

I just posted a new theory of potential Dawnshards here so feel free to let me know what you think! I have:

CHANGE - Cultivation, Whimsy, Ruin and Endowment

CONSERVE/REMAIN - Preservation, Autonomy, Dominion and ?

PROPEL - Valour, Invention, Ambition and Odium

REFORGE/UNITE - Honour, Devotion, Mercy and ?

Propel sounds like another word for Aspire and Conserve/Remain for Endure... See my very similar theory above for comparison.