Shallan's soul caster how did Jasnah not see

daypast17

So how did Jasnah not notice a soulcaster spren following Shallan around in Carbranth?

I can think of two explanations 1) she just did not look into Shadesmar the entire time (seems unlikely) 2) Shallans soul caster was always a fake

Prolly been answered before but I can't find it

Edited by daypast17

14 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

perhaps when the soulcaster broke, the spren died or something. I don't quite remember the whole thing with the soulcaster, but this is just an idea

Yes, I would imagine the reason the Davar Soulcaster was broken to non-functionality had to do with the spren inside of it being released (not killed) by a key gemstone having been broken by Balat's strike. It wasn't just that it wasn't reassembled properly, or refitted with the wrong gem, in its repair; it's that the jeweler was no artifabrian (with understanding of how to put the right kind of spren into a gem to make it go), and besides, even the best actual artifabrians didn't know how Soulcasters were created by the ancients (what spren to obtain, and how to put it in the gem).

Odium refers to the Oathgate at Thaylen City being rebuildable based solely on the state of its gemstones. "Kai-garnis did well destroying the wall; tell her to return to the city and climb toward the Oathgate. If the Tisark can’t secure it, she is to destroy the device and recover its gemstones. We can rebuild it as long as the spren aren’t compromised.”

When they cosmetically repaired the broken Soulcaster to look the same as before, it was obviously with a non-spren gem. And Jasnah didn't notice the switch because her own Soulcaster was a similar cosmetic replica.

Edited by robardin

15 hours ago, daypast17 said:

So how did Jasnah not notice a soulcaster spren following Shallan around in Carbranth?

I can think of two explanations 1) she just did not look into Shadesmar the entire time (seems unlikely) 2) Shallans soul caster was always a fake

Prolly been answered before but I can't find it

If you’re asking what I think you are, ask this on the RoW boards. I’m not sure we can discuss this question here.

Possibly Jasnah did not know as much as you would assume about spren at that point in time. Sure, she was a radiant, but she didn’t have much experience with it. She hadn’t met many others. And her spren might not have been as knowing as they are later on. Sure, they can identify a cryptic spren, but they might not know what it was doing there. Or maybe it just didn’t know it was searching for a host. Or Jasnah didn’t expect it would find Shallan. There’s a lot of logical possibilities.