Question from the most recent podcast (Full Cosmere spoilers)

WandererNearby

I was listening to the most recent podcast with the BDFL of the cosmere, Brandon, when I heard something I had never heard of before. I tried looking it up in the coppermind but I have no clue how to spell it and couldn't figure out what world it relates to. I think it's called takenaks? tookanats? (I have no clue). I came across the world while Brandon was talking about the seon box Shallan has to communicate with Mraize. He said in the first draft it was a seon then it was a talkanack before he finalized on a seon. What in the Shardworld is a takenax? Can somebody please tell me what it is? 

9 minutes ago, DougTheRug said:

I was listening to the most recent podcast with the BDFL of the cosmere, Brandon, when I heard something I had never heard of before. I tried looking it up in the coppermind but I have no clue how to spell it and couldn't figure out what world it relates to. I think it's called takenaks? tookanats? (I have no clue). I came across the world while Brandon was talking about the seon box Shallan has to communicate with Mraize. He said in the first draft it was a seon then it was a talkanack before he finalized on a seon. What in the Shardworld is a takenax? Can somebody please tell me what it is? 

Something from Dragonsteel, supposedly. A bone of some kind, I think Brandon said?

Currently the only thing known about Tamu Keks is that [spoilers for the publicly-available Dragonsteel Prime sample chapters]

Spoiler

a Tamu Kek is a specific Sho Del bone that gives off a feeling of power.... and based on the interview, can be used to communicate, somehow.

Also, singer gemhearts are apparently related to them.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

Tamu Keks, here's all we know of them:

WeiryWriter

At Emerald City Comic Con earlier this year, you stated that Singer gemhearts are a "milky white" color, and looked like bone/bone marrow. You also said they were related to something in Dragonsteel. Having read the sample chapters of The Liar of Partinel a while back, I couldn't help but be reminded of the skullmoss, which is a bone-white color. Are the singer gemhearts related to the fainlife in any meaningful or important way?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah they are very similar to Tamu Keks.

Footnote: This is referencing this exchange.
BookCon 2018 (June 1, 2018)

“Dente, you have that sack?” Jerick asked.

“Yes, sir,” the tall man replied, holding out a sack bearing a stalk of grain, which marked it as food supplies.

“Good, you know what to do.”

“Yes sir, Dent replied, reaching to put the skeleton in the sack. The first bone his hand fell on, however was a long, thin one that came to a point at both tips.

“Wait,” Jerick said, feeling a coldness about him. Though he was not looking [REDACTED], he could sense the pulses of energy coming from the bone. The Tamu Kek. “I’ve warned you about that bone, Dente. Leave it behind, but take the rest.”

~from Dragonsteel, courtesy of some punny username from over on Discord who went to look for it

I couldn't decide if I should use a Seon there at the end or a Tamu Kek. In one draft, it was a Tamu Kek. Um, and then I thought eh, Seons are way more interesting, um because they have³ volition, right? Tamu Kek is just a bone. Uh, so, um, you guys² have read Dragonsteel, right? You guys have?

Anyway, I wrote a Tamu Kek originally and then it was a Seon, and then back to Tamu Kek and then I released it as a Seon.

transcript from -30:35 from the 17S interview

I don't know if they are specifically Sho Del bones, there are other forms of Fain life, not that we know much of them. I think we can comfortably eliminate Skullmoss... or maybe Skullmoss is a fungus and turns its host's bones into Tamu Keks... nah, unlikely, Skullmoss heralds the arrival of Fain life, infecting Trune life, Tamu Keks give the impression of being less common.

Btw, nice pun there, OP, "Sel phone", lol

Edited by Honorless

34 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Tamu Keks, here's all we know of them:

~from Dragonsteel, courtesy of some punny username from over on Discord who went to look for it

transcript from -30:35 from the 17S interview

I don't know if they are specifically Sho Del bones, there are other forms of Fain life, not that we know much of them. I think we can comfortably eliminate Skullmoss... or maybe Skullmoss is a fungus and turns it's host's bones into Tamu Keks... nah, unlikely, Skullmoss heralds the arrival of Fain life, infecting Trune life, Tamu Keks give the impression of being less common.

Can I point out that this, along with fain branch Mraize has, heavily indicates that Kelsier somehow managed to figure out where Yolen is in 300 odd years, while the various Cosmere scholars couldn’t despite searching for much longer? While stuck on Scadrial?!

I don’t know if I’m more impressed or terrified.

3 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Can I point out that this, along with fain branch Mraize has, heavily indicates that Kelsier somehow managed to figure out where Yolen is in 300 odd years, while the various Cosmere scholars couldn’t despite searching for much longer? While stuck on Scadrial?!

To be fair the Cosmere scholars don't have access to virtually infinite amount of fortune, connexion an mental speed

13 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I wonder of that might have something to do with him being the former Vessel of Preservation. Taravangian could access some memories from Rayse, maybe Kelsier could do the same from Leras? 

4 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Currently the only thing known about Tamu Keks is that [spoilers for the publicly-available Dragonsteel Prime sample chapters]

Hide contents

a Tamu Kek is a specific Sho Del bone that gives off a feeling of power.... and based on the interview, can be used to communicate, somehow.

Also, singer gemhearts are apparently related to them.

Wow... Reminds me of the Crystal Heart of Volurians (my own, work-in-progress Silicon-based life forms concept).
(it's a crystal that's quantum-entangled between every Volurian, so by writing/reading information to/from it to change the quantum states (a process that Volurians can do consciously because of their biology), they can communicate information with each other while still retaining individuality, like a half-hivemind.)

21 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I don't think we can assume that. It's just as plausible that that fain branch was taken off Yolen before it got cut off, and the Ghostbloods acquired it later from an artifact dealer or something. Remember the spren in Shadesmar selling art from the Court of Gods?

2 minutes ago, CatgirlTheCrazy said:

I don't think we can assume that. It's just as plausible that that fain branch was taken off Yolen before it got cut off, and the Ghostbloods acquired it later from an artifact dealer or something. Remember the spren in Shadesmar selling art from the Court of Gods?

The branch alone, no. But if it was that likely that the GBs has access to enough tamukeks for them to communicate regularly (I’m assuming at least three: Mraize’s, Shallan’s and Thaidakar’s) then that branch suddenly becomes a lot more significant.

Considering Brandon only decided on Seons because they’re actually alive, while Tamukeks are just bones (apparently), it means that the GBs could have had access to a decent number of those. And I doubt there are that many tamukeks floating around the Cosmere.

• 2 weeks later...