The Crablor Archives (apologies to BrandoSando and Tolkien)

Necessary Eagle

Okay, so, I'm sorry. I really am.

"Crablor" is a meme in the Silmarillion fandom wherein Maglor, during his years of wandering in regret by the seashore, turns into a crab cryptid. They have a whole week for it and everything.

Last night, whilst dreaming, my subconscious put two and two together and came up with crab. And so I woke up with the dumbest crossover bunny ever, and I must exorcise by writing it down. At least it's brief.

Spoiler

The stranger stayed with them for several generations. I rarely meet people of my own kind, at least those I can hold a conversation with, he explained soon after he arrived. He'd learned their langue very quickly, though with an oddly melodic undertone to all his clicks. The chulls make for pretty dull companions.

Of my own kind was an exaggeration. His reddish coloring, his overly-long legs, his strange longevity-- they all set him as other. Yet he came to feel like one of them. He slept where they slept and traveled when they traveled; he knew the storm chants and the star chants and the meditations of the Long Rain; he hunted and burrowed and spawned with all the rest of them.

His children were stranger even than he: they had four legs, only two of which were used for walking. Their carapace was fragmented and dangerously soft in places; their heads were bulbous and perched atop their bodies; their mouth-parts flapped instead of clicking. Their front legs, though, were dexterous and clever, and their voices! In their voices were contained the song of the land, the very Pure Tones themselves, and so they were called the Singers.

11 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Okay, so, I'm sorry. I really am.

"Crablor" is a meme in the Silmarillion fandom wherein Maglor, during his years of wandering in regret by the seashore, turns into a crab cryptid. They have a whole week for it and everything.

Last night, whilst dreaming, my subconscious put two and two together and came up with crab. And so I woke up with the dumbest crossover bunny ever, and I must exorcise by writing it down. At least it's brief.

Hide contents

The stranger stayed with them for several generations. I rarely meet people of my own kind, at least those I can hold a conversation with, he explained soon after he arrived. He'd learned their langue very quickly, though with an oddly melodic undertone to all his clicks. The chulls make for pretty dull companions.

Of my own kind was an exaggeration. His reddish coloring, his overly-long legs, his strange longevity-- they all set him as other. Yet he came to feel like one of them. He slept where they slept and traveled when they traveled; he knew the storm chants and the star chants and the meditations of the Long Rain; he hunted and burrowed and spawned with all the rest of them.

His children were stranger even than he: they had four legs, only two of which were used for walking. Their carapace was fragmented and dangerously soft in places; their heads were bulbous and perched atop their bodies; their mouth-parts flapped instead of clicking. Their front legs, though, were dexterous and clever, and their voices! In their voices were contained the song of the land, the very Pure Tones themselves, and so they were called the Singers.

This is amazing, I love it!

Ah, Crablor.  Causing trouble on other planets too, now.

The Singers are descendants of the House of Feanaro? This explains a lot, actually... Too bad Venli didn’t learn her ancestors lessons about Kinslaying.

On the other hand, no wonder gems capturing divine light are such a big deal on Roshar! The pale shadows of the Silmarilli - the true ‘perfect gemstones’ described in myth.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613