Navani and her research group

Oltux72

A cool idea, but unfortunately I don't think it matters if they get labelled as "squires".  There are only three Bondsmith-level spren in the world, so Bondsmith "squires" can't bond spren or gain Radiant powers.  Plus, nobody around Dalinar is considered a squire, as far as we've been shown.

How super fun would Radiant science nerds be though...?  I'll buy THAT novella for sure.

4 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

A cool idea, but unfortunately I don't think it matters if they get labelled as "squires".  There are only three Bondsmith-level spren in the world, so Bondsmith "squires" can't bond spren or gain Radiant powers.  Plus, nobody around Dalinar is considered a squire, as far as we've been shown.

From the official brandensanderson dot com description of Bondsmiths:

there were times that some Bondsmiths did take squires. Beyond that, many of the retinues that protected the Bondsmiths were considered members of the Order–going so far as to swear oaths, even though they didn’t have a spren and never would. Some even called this the most pure form of being a Radiant, because these were oaths sworn not in the name of gaining powers, but simply for the good of the oaths themselves.

So it's doable I think. Although idk why a group of engineers would swear oaths about uniting people.

21 minutes ago, yulyulk said:

From the official brandensanderson dot com description of Bondsmiths:

So it's doable I think. Although idk why a group of engineers would swear oaths about uniting people.

One theory (I don't remember where I saw it, maybe I made it up) is that Navani's oaths will deal with spren and humans and mitigating the damage that they do to one another. If we go by the theory that Navani's 2nd and 3rd oaths will be something like 'I will unite spren and humans' and 'if my fabrial discoveries cause harm I will fix the problem and make sure it doesn't happen again' then her 'squires' would be an inverse of the geneticists of Jurassic Park. They'd actually think about if they should pursue certain ideas before wondering if they could.

On 1/24/2021 at 0:29 PM, Oltux72 said:

Do squires need anything but the Immortal Words?

I don't remember if they even need the first ideal... It would probably help though (and with a Bondsmith I do wonder if they could strengthen their Squire bond to improve the power level of their squires as if increasing in power from an Ideal)

21 hours ago, Elerosse said:

While it's possible, if they ever wanted spren of their own, based purely on the attribute lists, I think the researchers are more likely to align with either Lightweavers or Stonewards.

Or Truthwatchers, surely? To seek out greater truth and knowledge in the Cosmere? To boldly go where no Rosharan has gone before?