In RoW, Venli mentions “Honor’s Moon” when referring to Nomon (the light blue moon). This got me thinking and I went onto Coppermind. Sure enough, we have a green moon (Mishim) and a violet moon (Salas). The same colours as the Lights.

Is Mishim Cultivation’s Moon and Salas Odium’s Moon? It makes sense. Could each moon on Roshar be connected to a Shard?

I've spent YEARS now wondering about those stupid storming fascinating moons, including how their orbits can possibly work (turns out, they can't). 

I agree; it just doesn't seem like it could possibly be a coincidence - 3 moons, 3 Shards, and the colors match... yet Brandon has explicitly said the Rosharan system was wholly created by Adonalsium, which mean the moons must predate the Shattering.  So I still don't know what we're supposed to think.

I'm really hoping that once the Cosmere includes space travel, we'll learn more about those moons.

If this is the case NOW, what would the moons have looked like during the 5000+ years before Odium came to Roshar?  Mishim is green, Nomon is blue, and Salas is just white?  No, WHITE is Preservation's color!  Salas would somehow be invisible, perhaps...?

I can imagine Honor and Cultivation thinking "I sure hope another Shard isn't drawn here by that unclaimed 3rd moon"   LOL

5 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

For my own personal sanity I'm just gonna invoke Occam's Razor and believe that yes, Adonalsium did forsee this particular triad of Shards settling on Roshar, and made the moons these colors in anticipation of them.

Because sanity is overrated, I’m going to counter your invocation with my own, and posit that there were no moons until the Shards arrived.

4 minutes ago, Kyn said:

Because sanity is overrated, I’m going to counter your invocation with my own, and posit that there were no moons until the Shards arrived.

Found a WoB directly disproving such a position.

Questioner

The moons of Roshar. Inspired by the Dragonriders of Pern?

Brandon Sanderson

If it was, it was unconscious. But, more, it was the fact that I had three gods on the planet, and I was working with that. But, of course, the moons existed before the gods came.

Tel Aviv Signing (Oct. 18, 2019)

22 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

For my own personal sanity I'm just gonna invoke Occam's Razor and believe that yes, Adonalsium did forsee this particular triad of Shards settling on Roshar, and made the moons these colors in anticipation of them.

Adonalsium knew he (?) (just realized idk if adonalsium even has a gender) would be shattered, then? And so *puts my tinfoil hat on* Roshar was designed to unite the Shards back together:huh:

Just now, yulyulk said:

Adonalsium knew he (?) (just realized idk if adonalsium even has a gender) would be shattered, then? And so *puts my tinfoil hat on* Roshar was designed to unite the Shards back together:huh:

I mean, let's iterate through the logic.

1. Shards can see the future. Some are quite good at it in fact. (Preservation, Cultivation, for example.)

2. Future sight interferes with other future seers. (Renarin interfering with Odium, for example.)

Therefore 3. If all (or an immense majority) of the magical future seeing is being done by Adonalsium as a single superinvested entity, then there should be little to no interference, and he should be able to foresee the shattering and which shards would go where and pair up.

So yes, I do believe Ado knew that he/it would be Shattered and that the shatterers would take up the Shards and go places with them, and he knew which Shards would go where.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, yulyulk said:

Could the presence of a particular shard change the coloring of the moon, I wonder. Because otherwise everything matches up TOO well

Guess it could be possible, but "all the rocks on this moon turn purple" feels like it'd be a really weird side effect of Investment to me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have two arguments against Salas being Odium's moon, first Odium is not Violet

Questioner

So, we know in Mistborn there is this running... you can say, motif about Ruin being associated with the color black and Preservation with the color white, we see a lot of very subtle and a lot of very unsubtle...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yes.

Questioner

Is such a motif present in any other books? I think I see it in Stormlight.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, in Stormlight you can see it. So, Ruin is a red-gold... not Ruin, Odium. Odium is a red-gold. Honor is a blue-white and Cultivation is green, obviously. So, those motifs stay, when you... when you see a red or a gold, it's a reddish gold sort of thing, either of those colors, it's going to be Odium.

Questioner

Even when we something we might suspect to be outside influence in other worlds?

Brandon Sanderson

Not necessarily, because red can also mean corrupted Investiture in the Cosmere. So, I would call Odium's real color gold, because you're going to see red when Odium is corrupting other things, so...

Questioner

It's not necessarily on Roshar.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not necessarily Odium. So, you're asking for the invading force on Mistborn, it doesn't necessarily mean Odium because it's red. So red just kind of means corruption. I've talked about that before, so. Not necessarily, not definitive, yeah.

Footnote: When Sanderson said "you're asking about the invading force on Mistborn", the questioner made a guilty "caught red-handed" shrug.
ICon 2019 (Oct. 15, 2019)

Second Voidlight is not violet, it's Stygian violet

TheFoxQR

"Voidlight" (hasn't been named, I know) has been described as black with some violet to it. Is this because it's actually absorbing light-gold from all light hitting it?

Brandon Sanderson

I do call it Voidlight in the new book, so you can certainly call it that.

I'm more trying to describe the phenomenon of Stygian colors, which is how I imagine Voidlight. But your explanation probably has some plausible science to it as well.

General Reddit 2019 (Aug. 11, 2019)

Stygian colours are what happen when you look at a colour long enough that they'd leave an after-image when you stop looking at them (30-60 seconds) then look at a black screen, you see a very dark version of it's complementary, so basically Voidlight is more anti-Gold than violet

On 25/01/2021 at 3:44 AM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Guess it could be possible, but "all the rocks on this moon turn purple" feels like it'd be a really weird side effect of Investment to me. 

If it's accidental yes, not if it's voluntary like it can very well have been for Nomon and Mishim, but I doubt Cultivation would let Odium change the colour of the moon.

Also, violet not purple, purple is the colour of void-windrunners so the difference matter a bit

On 23/01/2021 at 4:16 PM, AquaRegia said:

If this is the case NOW, what would the moons have looked like during the 5000+ years before Odium came to Roshar?  Mishim is green, Nomon is blue, and Salas is just white?  No, WHITE is Preservation's color!  Salas would somehow be invisible, perhaps...?

I can imagine Honor and Cultivation thinking "I sure hope another Shard isn't drawn here by that unclaimed 3rd moon"   LOL

Well, no, we don't know if Preservation's colour is white

Argent (paraphrased)

Ruin and Preservation were often represented in the Mistborn trilogy in terms of black and white. Is this imagery limited to that series, or do other Shards also have an associated hue?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

This (Ruin & Preservation's colors) was because of the specific world and their perception of the world and themselves. Essentially, because of the dynamics of the interplay between Ruin and Preservation, they "chose" to view themselves as black and white respectively, so that's how they were represented. Also, because the only two Shards on Scadrial, and their natures were opposites, after the long period of time they spent on the same planet, they kind of "polarized." If similar thing happened on another world, similar coloring effect could happen.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 1, 2013)

King Cole

What colors are the Shards Preservation and Ruin Associated with?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO!

Oathbringer Houston signing (Nov. 18, 2017)

I honestly thing Preservation's "colour" would be transparent, like Roshar's diamonds, because it's the only colour that Preserve le colour of incident light

Maybe Adonalsium foresaw things, maybe the colours of the moons changed to reflect the Shards, maybe how the Shards were perceived affected the colours of the moons, maybe there's something to the moons that attracted the specific Shards associated with their colours, who knows? 

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

Second Voidlight is not violet, it's Stygian violet

And Nomon is blue instead of "white and so barely blue you can't see it except up close", and Mishim is green instead of "white and so barely green you can't see it except up close".  The colors of the moons are simplified a bit.

Also, violet not purple, purple is the colour of void-windrunners so the difference matter a bit

Violet is a type of purple, no?

first Odium is not Violet

Then the heck is Voidlight?

I wasn’t as active here on the forums back when OB came out, so just wondering if there are already threads discussing what I think is imagery of the three moons in the Jezrien and Vedel (and maybe Ishar) portraits?

Both the stained glass behind Vedel and the image on Jezrien’s belt feature an outer ring of circles. Inside that ring however are three circles of varying size - one blue, one green, and one violet. Seems like a pretty obvious reference to the moons to me. Has this been discussed?

Edited by mdross81

11 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

And Nomon is blue instead of "white and so barely blue you can't see it except up close", and Mishim is green instead of "white and so barely green you can't see it except up close".  The colors of the moons are simplified a bit.

Honour is not "white and so barely blue you can't see it except up close", he's Honourspren blue. Stormlight is a lot of white+Honour's blue, probably for similar reason as why real life lightnings are a lot of white+light blue or violet

Same for Cultivation's green and lifelight

Violet is a type of purple, no?

Yes I was being dumb.

Does the purple type used for void-windrunners in the voidbinding chart has a specific name? I'm not an expert on colour names

Then the heck is Voidlight?

If we accept Ruin and Preservation's mist can be of a different colour as their Shards (which we have too since their colour being RAFO means it's at least possible) I see no problem there

43 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Both the stained glass behind Vedel and the image on Jezrien’s belt feature an outer ring of circles. Inside that ring however are three circles of varying size - one blue, one green, and one violet. Seems like a pretty obvious reference to the moons to me. Has this been discussed?

Yes, it has been noticed and discussed, but without any particular resolution. 

49 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Does the purple type used for void-windrunners in the voidbinding chart has a specific name? I'm not an expert on colour names

No clue.

49 minutes ago, mathiau said:

If we accept Ruin and Preservation's mist can be of a different colour as their Shards (which we have too since their colour being RAFO means it's at least possible) I see no problem there

I disagree with the assumption a Shard has an inbuilt color.

50 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Honour is not "white and so barely blue you can't see it except up close", he's Honourspren blue. Stormlight is a lot of white+Honour's blue, probably for similar reason as why real life lightnings are a lot of white+light blue or violet

Same for Cultivation's green and lifelight

Then why is Voidlight being black + violet a dealbreaker for it matching the moon?

38 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

Yes, it has been noticed and discussed, but without any particular resolution. 

Thanks! Saves me a lot of time searching through old posts. 

28 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Jezrien's one is just the moons and the uninhabited planets but Vedel's one is significantly weirder

Agreed. Those two smaller circles next to each of the larger ones jumps out as weird. My first thought was surges, but then I would expect to see the same colors for adjacent larger circles, but they’re not the same. 

Edited by mdross81

Just now, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Then why is Voidlight being black + violet a dealbreaker for it matching the moon?

It's not, it's an argument against. If changed colour because of Odium then it would probably become golden and not violet, probably being the important word

Sorry, I wasn't clear

Just now, mathiau said:

It's not, it's an argument against. If changed colour because of Odium then it would probably become golden and not violet, probably being the important word

Ah, okay. I agree it probably didn't change because of Odium, yeah, as that seems like a really colossal waste of Investiture, lmaooo. But I won't rule out it being placed there knowing he'd come.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:09 AM, yulyulk said:

Could the presence of a particular shard change the coloring of the moon, I wonder. Because otherwise everything matches up TOO well

What if it's the other way around. The shards co-opted the colors of the moon to represent them. We know from a WoB that Ruin and Preservation did not have to be black and white.