Storing Nicrosil

Rushu42

Question

This may have already been asked at some point, but I'm nevertheless curious: does storing nicrosil (feruchemically) store your ability to tap nicrosil? I know it stores your ability to use Investiture - if you store everything you've got in a keyed metalmind, do you then lose the ability to access it?

4 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

This may have already been asked at some point, but I'm nevertheless curious: does storing nicrosil (feruchemically) store your ability to tap nicrosil? I know it stores your ability to use Investiture - if you store everything you've got in a keyed metalmind, do you then lose the ability to access it?

Apparently you can’t store it all.

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

In the case of Medallions in particular (because that was the context of the WOB) we know that storing in Nicrosil is like Copper in that it is stored whole as a discrete things like a memory, not a uniform quantity like weight or health.  "Taken, Used, then Returned" makes me think the ability is lost or suppressed when it is transferred into the Medallion.  

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

General Signed Books 2018 (Oct. 15, 2018)

22 minutes ago, Quantus said:

In the case of Medallions in particular (because that was the context of the WOB) we know that storing in Nicrosil is like Copper in that it is stored whole as a discrete things like a memory, not a uniform quantity like weight or health.  "Taken, Used, then Returned" makes me think the ability is lost or suppressed when it is transferred into the Medallion.  

You can choose how much memory you store though.

This also makes Fullborn so obscenely terrifying. Store allomantic ability X in Nicrosil. Compound. Reclaim your far more powerful ability.

Brandon has said that Soulbearer's aren't as limited as Unsealed Metalminds imply. So we are certainly missing an important aspect of Nicrosil Feruchemy

Calderis

Does the nicrosil portion of the medallions function identitically to how a Soulbearer Ferring would use Nicrosil? 

Brandon Sanderson

Not exactly. The medallion is a little more restrictive, for one thing.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 31, 2018)