Do you believe in God?

chongjasmine

On 1/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, Rushu42 said:

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I believe in a God that loves us as his children. I also believe in science, and the validity of theories such as evolution and the Big Bang. I'm always happy to discuss theology/philosophy with anyone interested.

I really like the way Rushu put it. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and I believe in God and Jesus as separate beings. I believe that God is an omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient being. He has existed for eternity and will exist for eternity.

I also believe that He is a God of science. He follows the natural laws of the universe and accomplishes everything though natural means. I feel that is a common misconception people have about religion, that someone either believes in God or believes in science. I believe in both. Feel free to PM me with questions you may have about my faith/religion!

I stopped being a catholic a while ago but I'm not sure what to call myself (have researched both about agnosticism and deism for a bit but I'm still not sure if one fits). In summary, I believe there is something that created the rules for the universe, fast-forward a few million years and here we are. But I don't think it's possible for a human to know what it is or what it wants. Let alone any religion. 

I do keep some catholic customs because it would be rude to do nothing while my family prays during Christmas dinner for example.

I’d say I’m an Episcopalian, sort of. I don’t give a frick whether or not there is a god, it’s just not what I’m worried about, frankly. I’m more following in the moral teachings of Christianity. The whole love thy neighbor n’ stuff. I love that the Bible is basically a holy debate forum, with many different stances and opinions on what is god and what is right. It allows for great conversation. 

Edited by Koloss17

On 1/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, Voidspawn said:

While I believe wholeheartedly in Vorinism, I am also a member of tCoJCoLDS (that's a looooong acronym)

You missed me.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:45 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

The man upstairs is a great guy.

Care to say a spesific religious afiliation?

For curiosities sake?

I'm also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, I don't agree with the church's stances on a few things, but I do have a very strong testimony of the restoration and other aspects of the gospel. I also do believe in science and evolution and all of that, and find other religions absolutely fascinating.

I also practice some aspects of Vorinism. Because I'm a nerd. :)

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I believe in an all-loving and all-knowing God, and that He is a separate being from Jesus Christ and the Spirit. 

Related question that I would like to pose to the thread: Do you believe in a devil? I believe that there is such a being, but I do not believe in a ‘hell’. 

So,  I thought a lot about that.
I see myself as a catholic theistic ignostic. I believe there is a God. I believe it is the Judeo-Christian Deity. I think, that you can not state if god exists or not, because you can not define what god is in a general accepted matter. I also think, that you can not decide if you believe in God or not. You can say whatever you want, but your belief is represented in your behavior. So to explain this I´ll use an example from the Cosmere. It is based on Information from Way of Kings, but to be sure I will put it inside a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Jasnah states that she is an atheist. From my Viewpoint, that is wrong. She can not be an Atheist. And I think, that the Horneaters would see it the same way.
For the Horneaters all Spren are gods (for me too, if you ask, I´ll explain why). And Jasnah knows that the Spren exist. And she does believe that her Spren, so a God from the Horneaters point of view, has given her powers. And she believes that those powers are real, because she actually uses them. So jasnah clearly believes in a God. At least in the God that is her Spren. So Jasnah is not an atheist.)

And in my opinion it is the same in our world. If you treat other people as if they were real and "special" (compared to animals, trees and stone), than you believe that there is something holy about them and where does it come from if not from god? This is bad explained because I do not have the right words for it, but I think you get the spirit of what I am saying.

And to answer the question:
I believe in God.

6 hours ago, Chiri-Chiri<3 said:

So,  I thought a lot about that.
I see myself as a catholic theistic ignostic. I believe there is a God. I believe it is the Judeo-Christian Deity. I think, that you can not state if god exists or not, because you can not define what god is in a general accepted matter. I also think, that you can not decide if you believe in God or not. You can say whatever you want, but your belief is represented in your behavior. So to explain this I´ll use an example from the Cosmere. It is based on Information from Way of Kings, but to be sure I will put it inside a spoiler tag.

Reveal hidden contents

Jasnah states that she is an atheist. From my Viewpoint, that is wrong. She can not be an Atheist. And I think, that the Horneaters would see it the same way.
For the Horneaters all Spren are gods (for me too, if you ask, I´ll explain why). And Jasnah knows that the Spren exist. And she does believe that her Spren, so a God from the Horneaters point of view, has given her powers. And she believes that those powers are real, because she actually uses them. So jasnah clearly believes in a God. At least in the God that is her Spren. So Jasnah is not an atheist.)

And in my opinion it is the same in our world. If you treat other people as if they were real and "special" (compared to animals, trees and stone), than you believe that there is something holy about them and where does it come from if not from god? This is bad explained because I do not have the right words for it, but I think you get the spirit of what I am saying.

And to answer the question:
I believe in God.

Huh, this is the first time I'm seeing the word "ignostic" used by a theist. Jasnah actually responds to what you said here in the book itself. There are many threads about it too, you might be interested in checking them out and get responses, as this thread is "what's your religion" not "rate my religion", I imagine the OP wouldn't like it too much if the responses spiralled into a religious debate.

I'm agnostic in the fullest sense of the word.  The term basically comes from the Greek "gnosis" which means knowledge, prefix "a" meaning without.  In its purest form it simply means that this particular knowledge is truly beyond our understanding.

We are limited to a set point in space for a limited period of time.  We are finite.  "God" or "The Universe" or "The Multiverse" or whatever term you like, is by definition infinite, therefore there is much more beyond our capability of understanding than there is within it.  To say definitely that there is or is not a God, is therefore not something we can claim to know, at least in my opinion.

I choose to put my faith in observable and repeatable science.  Not necessarily as a sole provider of fact, but because it is the way than we as finite beings can bring more of the unknowable into our realm of understanding.  I fully accept that there are things that science can never explain, and that there are certain fields, for example, human interactions, desires, and expressions that are completely outside of science, but are just as valid.

All of that said, I believe strongly that people can have faith or not in whatever spirituality they choose, as long as it is not inherently harmful to others, and I will defend them for having it.  After all, I am agnostic, I am without knowledge.  No one, or anyone, may be more close to truth than I.

Edited by Malim

I actually believe that all religions could be real. Nothing saying there isnt, other than "You shant worship another god". which could just be for keeping followers!

Overall I would consider myself druid, and have deities I pray to. 

But overall, to each his/her own. its about what makes you happy!

I'm a Christian who has put my faith in Jesus and believes in salvation through grace/faith alone, but I admittedly don't know enough about denominations. I can't really classify myself any further besides the fact that I believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I get even more confused about denominations because my dad's side of the family is Jewish, so we still celebrate things like Passover and Hanukkah with them. I don't really need a specific label, I guess. I just know what I personally believe. 

I also feel like I've felt God's presence in my life multiple times. There's two moments that really stand out to me, but there's also just a bunch of random things that feel like they connected too well to be just a coincidence.  

Edited by Flying

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Wayniac said:

I'm also LDS, though I've got some things to work through.

As a fellow member of the LDS church, I hope to offer some advice without overstepping. Contacting your local bishop and speaking with your local missionaries can help you through whatever is going on. I urge you to do this as soon as possible, to begin more thoughtful prayers, and deeper studying of the scriptures. I and all other church members on the Shard will keep you in our prayers.