Should I read Dragonsteel?

After six months on the wait list, I was lucky and got Brandon's honor thesis Dragonsteel from the BYU library. I've read about four chapters so far, but I thought I would check with the shard- are there any major spoilers in this book? I've read through almost all published works, but if Dragonsteel is going to spoil future books or cosmere secrets, I'm not sure I want to read it. In addition to that, is it necessarily good? I know that some aspects of the book were lifted and added to other books (Bride 4 and tWoK). Any opinions would be appreciated :)

Edited by Daycrow
added "almost" in front of all lol

22 minutes ago, Daycrow said:

After six months on the wait list, I was lucky and got Brandon's honor thesis Dragonsteel from the BYU library. I've read about four chapters so far, but I thought I would check with the shard- are there any major spoilers in this book? I've read through all published works, but if Dragonsteel is going to spoil future books or cosmere secrets, I'm not sure I want to read it. In addition to that, is it necessarily good? I know that some aspects of the book were lifted and added to other books (Bride 4 and tWoK). Any opinions would be appreciated :)

It's unlikely to do so.It's not canon and that which is contained within is most probably going to be totally rewritten. I do believe that Brandon plans on releasing it as a door prize for one of the future SA kickstarter.

I enjoyed reading it mostly because it was "secret" but I didn't think it was very well written and I didn't enjoy the story itself.  Just fyi.  But for reference, I felt the same way about Way of Kings Prime.  They seem of pretty comparable quality to me - if you enjoyed WoK Prime you'll probably enjoy Dragonsteel.

@Nathrangking Ok, thank you! I had not heard about that potential release, so that's good to know.

@Jozomby So far, I'm feeling about the same. It's very obviously an early Sanderson novel to me, and doesn't have the same "magic" as his published works. I have not read WoK prime, but if I end up liking Dragaonsteel maybe I will:)

You have a chance to read it right now. My envy burns hotter than all the fires of Odium. :P

But yeah, since it's not canon and Brandon has said that lots of what's in it is subject to revision, I doubt there's going to be anything seriously spoilery in it. Just from the Bridge Four excerpts he shared and piecing together things from WoBs I know what at least one of the 'censored' things from the former is and I don't feel like that's hurt my enjoyment of anything, and I feel safe in guessing a few other things. So yeah, I figure it's a lot like WoK Prime, where there's some stuff that might potentially be slipped into later works but it'll be so different that knowing it doesn't have a real impact.

Edited by Weltall

On 1/27/2021 at 7:28 PM, Eternal Khol said:

Whats so important about tamu keks? lol

Brandon's brought them up a few times when Weiry asks questions, and then just laughed when asked what they actually are :lol:

On the recent Shardcast interview with him, he then proceeded to tease him, waving the physical copy of Dragonsteel around in front of the camera, lol.