Long Game 73: The Forgotten Coup

Sart

13 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Speaking of the elims, there’s 23 total right?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa hey there buddy, I think 23 Elims is a bit high dontcha think? :P.

I will admit that I. Still need to read the rules. Probably a few more times yet to understand them. ... :P.

Eyes bleeding to Forgotten black and a smile that cut through his stupor like a knife.

Duncan Kerr jerked out of a half-doze. He'd fallen asleep on his feet, as it were, and he stamped clumsily to get rid of the pins-and-needles. Forgotten among them, the survivors were saying, and Duncan didn't want to think, needed—something to drink. Something to take the sharpness out of the memories.

("The Forgotten are among us," Wyatt had said, crouching by Duncan's bedroll, his expression serious. "Heard from Dig lately?"

Duncan shook his head. "You think so?"

"Yeah," Wyatt said. And that was it. He'd been around forever, Wyatt had. Always the rumours though. The ones about being busted down by the higher-ups for something or other. Duncan never knew what to make of them. But Wyatt. Solid man, as far as Duncan was concerned. He got things done. And if Wyatt was concerned...

He tightened his jaw. "What do you need me to do?")

Wasn't in Nebrask now. Or he was, but it wasn't that camp. They'd retreated to the abandoned mess hall, and the whole thing had the air of a final stand. And all Duncan wanted to do was to drink himself blind, until the turpentine that passed for liquour in this camp burned away the memories in thick fumes. His chalk-hand trembled, and Duncan glared at it, willing it to still. He wasn't that far gone yet. Yet. He could still do the lines they needed to survive the night. So long as he had chalk.

He grabbed a bottle of spirits. Probably tasted awful—didn't it always?—but he needed it; something to set against the memories, something to let the numbness and the apathy seep in. (Frederick, said a part of him, the one that hadn't drowned in an alcohol stupor. Was he still alive? Had he survived the chaos of the retreat? He drank against the guilt, too.)

Duncan stared warily at the one claiming to be a Forgotten [OOC: Gears] and headed off to find his brother, if he possibly could. Everyone seemed surprisingly blasé about claimed Forgotten walking among them. Duncan wasn't interested in making that mistake again. [OOC: Haven't dealt with this before, not interested in entertaining, let me know if you feel you have something better to be doing.]

18 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

ignoring the thief

HEY????

8 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

And didn't Alv say that going for a book puts a target on your back? Striker! Welcome to the game :) 

Also Matrim's Dice. The target on the back meaning in danger from elims, an since you are putting the said target on his back, he is in danger from you. 

Edited to include quote.

Edited by TJ Shade

5 minutes ago, Lotus said:

"Servant of the Mad God. If you really want to do experiments on plants, you should perhaps do some on ones that are not under my power as well? You'll get confounding results there."

"I wanted to see what it would do to you," he replied, still grinning ghoulishly. "It seems that nothing much has happened, but you did notice. Fascinating... Now can I command them?" He stared at the twisting plants and focused with a singular obsession on one goal. One objective. One mission. And the plants obliged. They wound themselves around the Daughter of the Prime Forest, chaining her to the earth. "It seems to have worked."

He laughed and dismissed the plants, reducing them to tattered plant shreds and dust. Then he took more notes. Fascinating. Chalk dust could infect plant life. Could it affect animals? Humans? He had to know. 

[OOC: I'm going to sleep now, so PM friends, I'm not going to respond for a bit. Bye!]

1 minute ago, TJ Shade said:

Also Matrim's Dice. The target on the back meaning in danger from elims, an since you are putting the said target on his back, he is in danger from you. 

Oh.

Seconding Illwei's 'I need to go read the rules a bunch more times :P' That makes more sense, but my brain went with 'elims want powerful stuff=going for books is a cause for an eyebrow raise'

I still don't like the overprotection thing though

Grace sighed. She did not want to be here. It sucked. She was stuck in this stupid place, and felt like she barely had room to breathe. And the worst part was that she knew no one else here, so anyone could be a Forgotten. She looked around the room, feeling suspicious of everyone. She would have to be rational, and talk to each and every person in the camp.

Just now, The Unknown Order said:

I personally will only be taking items during the day and will be do Lines of Warding at night (post specialization).

shhhhhhhh elims are listening

What would be the benefit of Striker saying he's going for books, though? I get the thing about making sure you get it, but if it makes him a better target for the elims it's an odd statement for someone who was just talking about how they die early often to make :P

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

What would be the benefit of Striker saying he's going for books, though? I get the thing about making sure you get it, but if it makes him a better target for the elims it's an odd statement for someone who was just talking about how they die early often to make :P

Because he's aware of operation #shieldthestriker and so are the elims *menacing glare towards the elims*

Flyingbooks42. Striker said he’d be going after you* so nobody else should, and I would like to discover if he is hiding a fellow Forgotten.

Edited by Ashbringer
*For legal reasons, this is a joke. I have heard that humans create them often. I hope my kandra sense of humor appeals you.

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

shhhhhhhh elims are listening

...I'm planning on using a line of warding on myself every night. 

14 minutes ago, Gears said:

He laughed and dismissed the plants, reducing them to tattered plant shreds and dust. Then he took more notes. Fascinating. Chalk dust could infect plant life. Could it affect animals? Humans? He had to know. 

"I do not think that Life would approve much of that..." She trailed off as she saw a man in a deep blue uniform standing near one of the stands, watching the, with a grim expression.

"What in the fifty isles do you think you're doing? By chalks we've got a war to fight, we can't be dancing to defeat the chalklings!"

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

...I'm planning on using a line of warding on myself every night. 

You don't use the Line of Warding on yourself, if just adds to the defense. But now the elims would know who to roleblock /shrug

And I doubt you have enough chalk to do it every night :P 

SpiderEZ has decide to hoard books now. Anyone wanting a book should file a claim, citing Article 13, section B, lines 23-45.

In other news, @Matrim's DiceMatrim's Dice. I personally find it odd that you would paint a target on my back purposefully. Plus I disagree about the defenses thing. If we overdefend (and I'm only recommending overdefending by a little bit each night, maybe one or two people), then that gives us a bit of leeway if an elim gets lucky and roleblocks someone. Seems like it would benefit an elim to have us not overdefend. Just do some careful digging, persuade people away from overdefending, take out a couple key people, and we get overrun. All of this makes me very suspicious of you.

5 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Anyone who wants a book should do what they want and not trust Striker and Books just because there is absolutely no reason not to trust them so far.

Unless you want a book as badly as I want my Shadowblaze.

Coordinating about who gets which books is helpful because it means that nobody wastes their actions. 

2 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I personally find it odd that you would paint a target on my back purposefully.

It's early early D1. What am I supposed to do if not purposefully vote? I could say the same about yours.

4 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Plus I disagree about the defenses thing. If we overdefend (and I'm only recommending overdefending by a little bit each night, maybe one or two people), then that gives us a bit of leeway if an elim gets lucky and roleblocks someone. Seems like it would benefit an elim to have us not overdefend.

I mean, it does... just, coordinating in thread to make this happen would make it so the elims didn't even have to get lucky to roleblock someone, they'd already know based on who says they're doing it. I just don't want everyone to be using their chalk up in the first three cycles so that we just get overrun three times in a row later on. 

2 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

It's early early D1. What am I supposed to do if not purposefully vote? I could say the same about yours.

I mean, I don't blame you for purposefully voting. I'm just saying I think the purpose behind your vote was a nefarious one. :P

3 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I mean, it does... just, coordinating in thread to make this happen would make it so the elims didn't even have to get lucky to roleblock someone, they'd already know based on who says they're doing it. I just don't want everyone to be using their chalk up in the first three cycles so that we just get overrun three times in a row later on. 

I never said that I wanted us to coordinate this in thread. Doing so would be a foolish move on our parts. I'm not sure I like the image you're trying to paint of what I've been saying. You've got quite the narrative you're building here. (And if I really did say something that sounds like I wanted us to coordinate who's protecting the camp in thread, I am sorry for the confusion)

14 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I mean, I don't blame you for purposefully voting. I'm just saying I think the purpose behind your vote was a nefarious one. :P

And I'm saying that there was no reason to pick me out of the crowd :P (...Except that I'm voting on you, so maybe there was :ph34r:)

14 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I never said that I wanted us to coordinate this in thread. Doing so would be a foolish move on our parts. I'm not sure I like the image you're trying to paint of what I've been saying. You've got quite the narrative you're building here. (And if I really did say something that sounds like I wanted us to coordinate who's protecting the camp in thread, I am sorry for the confusion)

How else would we coordinate, though? PMs are debatably more foolish to try to coordinate in. I'm not trying to paint a narrative, just trying to figure out your thought process.

4 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

And I'm saying that there was no reason to pick me out of the crowd :P (...Except that I'm voting on you, so maybe there was :ph34r:)

I mean...you're the only one who said anything (besides maybe Alv I guess), and you're the only one who voted on me...I don't think it was very hard for me to pick you out. :P

5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

How else would we coordinate, though? PMs are debatably more foolish to try to coordinate in. I'm not trying to paint a narrative, just trying to figure out your thought process.

PMs are only foolish if you limit the information you give out to one player. You have to tell at least two players what's going on. Preferably not the same information either. With two people, your odds of not telling just an elim go up. Now obviously you don't go telling a bunch of people either because then you may as well tell the thread anyway. But letting the information go around the PM webs is a good way to coordinate things. And if something goes wrong, we start figuring out where it went wrong.