Long Game 73: The Forgotten Coup

Sart

This was really fun, but once the forgotten start losing, it's hard to stop. Mostly because of the loss of strength when a forgotten is exed. Personally, I think forgotten should be able to increase the hordes power to some extent. Maybe we could make line of warding add to chalkings instead of camp defense. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

This was really fun, but once the forgotten start losing, it's hard to stop. Mostly because of the loss of strength when a forgotten is exed. Personally, I think forgotten should be able to increase the hordes power to some extent. Maybe we could make line of warding add to chalkings instead of camp defense. 

If you could do that, the whole team could just ward every time it was possible to, and it's be way too strong. I think the way it went was fine, a rithmatist dying counteracted the forgotten death and those statistically will happen more often- in this case, the village just analyzed superbly. (It's also probably worth saying that elim action directly saved the camp on 1-2 occasions, so that'd also have changed the game if it didn't happen.)

"I told you," said AraRaash, "I can explain everything."

The Forgotten did not look impressed. They were somewhere deep below the tower of Nebrask, where a massive hoard of wild chalklings had dragged him after they... well, AraRaash wasn't sure what they'd did. But whatever they did, it was interesting enough to not immediately get possessed and puppeteered around the world of Rithmatics... again. Which meant AraRaash had to be just interesting enough to maintain that air of curiosity without crossing over the line of irritation.

Which you are excellent at, I'm sure, murmured Faleast. AraRaash ignored him.

"Your actions lost us a powerful ally," came a voice from the general direction of the head Forgotten. AraRaash couldn't actually see it from where he was standing; he wasn't sure if that was because a two-dimensional figure wasn't the most intimidating when not in a frothing hoard, or because they didn't have a canon description in Rithmatist and therefore was not allowed to say what they looked like. The multiverse worked in mysterious ways... he'd have to test that at some point.

"Last I checked, I managed to tunnel vision on a single Rithmatist before vaguely supporting the execution of a single Forgotten," AraRaash replied. "Only thing I did was explore a lot to find more chalk. Someone stole mine, you see."

The Forgotten made noise that sounded suspiciously like rolling eyes. "The Shadowblaze vanished from one of our members. Only you could have been responsible, and you claimed you'd found one. So where is it?"

"Oh thaaaat," AraRaash said. "You see-"

Okay that's it.

They twitched at the mouth, and Faleast took control. "Apologies," he said, "my friend tends to be rather... crass, at times. But unfortunately, your question is not an easy one to answer."

What's your plan here, AraRaash?

My plan was just to lie through my teeth. I'm good at that. They'd send me on my merry way with a pat on the back and an unusual quantity of crabs.

That's... not a plan.

It could work! You don't seem to have a better one.

What do we have, then?

I feel like you should know, Faleast...

List it out for me. Can't have the audience miss out, Faleast thought, then said, "simply put, I did not have any Rithmatic abilities. I simply learned how to draw the Line of Revocation with the desire that my mastery of the line would attract a Shadowblaze, which I admit was successful."

You want me to list out everything we can do to those Forgotten.

... not that audience, AraRaash.

I don't... Faleast! You finally broke the fourth-

ARARAASH!

Fine. Blessing of Identity, doesn't do much but I guess we could stab something with more than one side with it. Ishar's Honorblade, but we don't have any Stormlight to do anything with it and the cool things we're not allowed to do anyway. So it's a Shardblade without the ten heartbeat thing. Hemalurgic Spike granting Allomantic Nicrosil, with a few slugs of the stuff, but I don't think it works on chalk. Progression buggers, also don't work on chalk but can heal in a pinch. Bloodmaker spikes, also heal in a bigger pinch. Am kandra, will travel. No Dahkor, no Potency, no extra Investiture sources.

Don't forget the bird.

AraRaash managed to mentally roll his eyes. Ah yes. The bird. We don't have the bird that makes us more handsome. An excellent aid for this situation.

Alright, plan R it is.

Faleast finished with "... and then the Shadowblaze... bonded to me. So I believe that it is trapped within me now, out of your reach."

The Forgotten gave no emotional response, but their next words were... harsher. "If you were the Non-Rithmatist, you would have joined us!"

AraRaash took command once again. "Ah, now that's the thing. I wasn't the non-Rithmatist, I was not a Rithmatist. An important distinction, as I'm still endowed with temporary Rithmatic abilities. A Shadowblaze only makes them permanent."

"Our Chalklings should have absorbed you! Instead they could not touch you! You..."

The silence was almost worse than the rage.

"The Twinmind! KILL HIM!"

For once, Faleast and AraRaash spoke in sync, stating, "Wait, what?"

And then they found themselves running for their lives in front of what seemed to be half the chalklings in Nebrask.

"How do they know who we are? We've never been here before," said AraRaash.

"... maybe we have," Faleast responded, pausing to pant. He didn't bother turning around; instead he dissolved one of his eyes and created a new one in his left shoulder. The chalklings were gaining on them. "This might be... the same... world that we... went to for the Melee."

"And got possessed by a Forgotten and promptly backstabbed and thrown out of the competition?"

"That's the one... but we should... think about it... later..."

Faleast had just enough time to wonder why he had to stop talking to catch his breath but AraRaash didn't before they suddenly stopped. A pit opened up in front of them. The Gateway to the two-dimensional, pseudo-Spiritual Realm the Forgotten came from. They'd been there once. Nasty place. However, the Gateway was strong with this universe's Investiture. Strong enough to qualify as a perpendicularity.

This world didn't have a Cognitive Realm, only the chalklings' home. But for the Harbingers, that simply meant a detour.

"I think we've overstayed our welcome," AraRaash said. "Ready?"

"Oh, enough with the-"

AraRaash jumped, the chalklings coming up behind. The Shadowblaze deep within them shuddered. The Gateway approached.

"Now!"

Faleast and AraRaash burned nicrosil, and vanished into Spacetime.

Oh hey, sorta forget to comment here.

@Sart, thanks for running the game! Enjoyed it thoroughly when I was alive, and got a little too indulged after I died, so pardon my ranting in the dead doc :P Also had a great time in the group PM Kas, Illwei, Striker, STINK and Burnt. As I said in the dead doc, this was probably the best game village solved non-mechanically.

Well played elims! Pretty sure Devotary has set a record for having the final vote on all her teammates :P

Congratulations to the Rithmatists and non-Rithmatists for rooting out all of the Forgotten in this wonderful rerun by Sart! The elims did play a good game, but ran into some back luck and insightful villagers along the way. 

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: