Long Game 73: The Forgotten Coup

Sart

The discussion centered around one man. Frederick Kerr was seen as too vocal, too controlling. The camp reasoned that he must be a Forgotten. Although several other candidates were floated, there could be no dissuading the crowd. Unfortunately, Frederick's death did nothing to stop the swarm. The Camp had made a mistake, and now the Wild Chalklings were getting their second wind.

Vote Count:
StrikerEZ (7): Gears, Ashbringer, Lotus, Burnt Spaghetti, Araris Valerian, Devotary of Spontaneity, Kasimir
Araris Valerian (2): Flyingbooks, StrikerEZ
Flyingbooks (1): Archer
Ventyl (1): Shard of Reading

StrikerEZ was court-martialed. They were a Rithmatist.

Items Taken:

Spoiler
  • Lotus took a Piece of Chalk
  • Kasimir took a Piece of Chalk
  • Burnt Spaghetti took a Lantern
  • Random Bystander took a Book of Revocation
  • Archer took a Gun!
  • Flyingbooks took the Shadowblaze!

Camp Supply:

Spoiler
  • 9 Pieces of Chalk
  • 4 Buckets of Acid
  • 1 Bribe
  • 10 Spring-Powered Crabs
  • 4 Maps
  • 1 Lantern
  • 1 Book of Warding

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. @Gears : Servant of the Mad God
  2. Quinn0928 : Nicole Cooper Rithmatist
  3. @Ashbringer : Faleast
  4. @Lotus : Daughter of the Prime forest
  5. @Flyingbooks
  6. @Archer : Evan Wallace
  7. @Burnt Spaghetti : Tia Vuur
  8. @Ventyl : Shimamura Sakura
  9. The Unknown Order : Atreco Tel Forgotten
  10. @Araris Valerian : Elysian
  11. StrikerEZ : Frederick Kerr Rithmatist
  12. Alvron : Blackbane Rithmatist
  13. @Shard of Reading
  14. @Random Bystander
  15. Illwei Rithmatist
  16. TJ Shade Rithmatist
  17. Condensation : Connie Forgotten
  18. @Devotary of Spontaneity : Kaniae Moreau
  19. @Kasimir : Duncan Kerr
  20. Matrim's Dice: Joshua Rithmatist
  21. STINK : Respected Madman Thief
  22. @Mist : Tria Noche
  23. Dannex Rithmatist

The Strength of the Wild Chalklings is at 2. This Night will end on February 12th at 8 PM.

A Ventyl clarification: Sart was in error, they had indeed passed me the Clock. I have successfully thrown the Clock at someone else who I will not be revealing.

Previous Camp Supply: 

9 Pieces of Chalk
4 Buckets of Acid
1 Bribe
9 Spring-Powered Crabs
3 Maps
1 Lantern
1 Gun
1 Shadowblaze
1 Book of Warding
1 Book of Revocation

Things Taken: 2 Chalk, 1 Lantern, 1 Book of Revocation, 1 Gun, 1 Shadowblaze

New Camp Supply:

9 Pieces of Chalk
4 Buckets of Acid
1 Bribe
10 Spring-Powered Crabs
4 Maps
1 Lantern
1 Book of Warding

Discrepancies: +2 Chalk, +1 Lantern, +1 Spring-Powered Crab, +1 Map. Unless Striker was a hoarder, someone used a map. @Kasimir, was Striker the anon Lantern holder?

So I was wrong. Alas. As my suspicion of Araris was predicated on the bus, I feel a bit better about them now, oddly enough. 

Votes on Striker: Kas, Gears, Bubbles, Araris, Lotus, Ash, Devotary. Of those, I vaguely trust Kas and to a lesser extent, Araris. Lotus and Ash have been a solid null for the entire game. I instinctively think well of Bubbles, but that could be bias, also a null. I've mentioned suspicions of Devotary before, but I'm uncertain. Kas, Gears, Araris, and Bubbles gave reasoning that I remember. The others did not [if I forgot you, I apologise]

Concerning Ventyl: I trust them a bit more because of the Clock debacle. If they were an elim, surely they would have kept the Clock. Alternatively, they're setting up to kill me. I suppose we shall see. I don't have the Clock anymore, so using that as a kill excuse is useless.

I will note that Reading has consistently been right about alignment of the doomed. Food for thought and paranoia.

I suppose we shall soon learn about Books's alignment. They'll be under a bit of scrutiny, so I expect elim!them to take an actual action or lie and say they tried for items. While Defense is a good indicator, there is the possibility that the elims have been using Defensive items just for this scenario. Acknowledge the following: Defense is not an infallible indicator. Also, watch Archer now. It would be easy for Books to say the Shadowblaze was stolen and pass it to them, or just actually have it be stolen and the elims pass it to Archer.

I had thoughts, but I can't remember them, and I'm tired, and I have schoolwork, so I'll be signing off for the night. If this post is a rambling mess of paranoia, then I lament the loss of eloquence. See you in the morning.

Well, bother. My sincerest apologies to Striker, since I'm fairly sure I'm the primary reason he came into the spotlight to begin with. I used a Bucket of Acid during the day (the one Gears saw me grab).

I'll throw myself out as a potential target for the Gun, since I'll likely be the focus of the grinch next turn, or at least hog a lot of the discussion. And shooting me down will prevent another increase in Chalking strength.

My current suspicions all lie on the people that have been hanging back. Mist is probably the largest suspicion of these, since she posted suspicion of me, lack of suspicion on Striker, and didn't vote. I'll have more to say on this once I reread the thread.

16 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Well, bother.

Araris is going full Winnie the Pooh. :D Edit: @Sart if an individual is shot, does that affect the chalkling on the same round they are killed or the one after? Also, does being RBed when submitting a one-use item action mean you lose the item?

Striker received the Revocation specialization from me N3. They claimed to have started with a map and acquired a lantern among other things. 

Kas and I coordinated so I would get the gun. No comment on what I will do with it. Tonight I'm going to be tight lipped so as not to tip my hand. 

Edited by Archer

25 minutes ago, Gears said:

Discrepancies: +2 Chalk, +1 Lantern, +1 Spring-Powered Crab, +1 Map. Unless Striker was a hoarder, someone used a map. @Kasimir, was Striker the anon Lantern holder?

I can confirm striker had a lantern. They PM’d me late last cycle saying so. Unfortunately the PM came after I had already left.

Sakura looked at man who was so kind to her when she first arrived in the Isles. He had welcomed her wholeheartedly. He had done his best to make her feel comfortable in a nation so starkly contrasting to her home. And now, he was dead. 

She felt guilty. She’d stolen from him in the night on false suspicions, when he’d been so kind to her in the past. Sakura had repaid his past kindness with a chalk dust to the eyes. She’d let the fear of Forgotten drive her to distrust even a man whom she should’ve trusted, but then again, Frederick had fallen victim to the enemies mind games too. However, that did not make her feel any less guilty.

So, yet again, Sakura dug a third grave. It would probably not be the last.

She had refrained herself from the grueling work of burying bodies for the past two nights. Her body had needed rest. Now though, she had work to do. Sakura needed to cover her hands in something other than blood, and the dirt would do just fine.

Sakura beat the shovel against the earth. The grain of its handle pressed deep into her palms every time she stabbed it into the ground, bringing a sense of surreal clarity. She realized in her days of rest, she’d let herself grow lax. The hunt for these Forgotten put on the afterburner behind recovering from nights spent digging graves. Sakura had not payed enough attention to what was happening in the camp and her carelessness had cost the life of a man she considered a brother.

She did not forgive her sloth even after digging Frederick’s grave—deeper than the previous two. The rain that began to drain from the heavens as she returned to the camp did not wash away her sins. When Sakura slipped on the now slick ground just outside of her tent, falling to the ground faster than the raindrops, she did not cry. For she’d already ran out of tears in that grave, so the droplets of water rolling down her face would have to do.

Sakura feel asleep that night covered in grime and with a wish for tears.

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

@Sart if an individual is shot, does that affect the chalkling on the same round they are killed or the one after?

I don't know what you're asking here.

Also, does being RBed when submitting a one-use item action mean you lose the item?

With normal Lines of Vigor, you keep the item. With advanced Lines of Vigor, you lose the item, since you think you've used it.

Where does the Shadowblaze fall on the Order of Actions?

It goes with the other Defense items.

Day: Vigor, Making, Silencing, Bribe, Acid, Supply, Map, Steal, Revocation, Giving, Gun, Lynch
Night: Vigor, Forbiddance, Making, Warding, Clock, Shadowblaze, Lantern, Supply, Map, Steal, Revocation, Giving, Gun, Kill, Crab, Teach

This means that if the Shadowblaze always applies the bonus for the person who starts the turn with it. It can't be blocked by Lines of Vigor, since it's not an action. If dropped via Lines of Revocation or given away, it still adds the bonus before those actions take place. Even if the player carrying it is killed, it still applies the bonus.

Just now, Archer said:

Araris is going full Winnie the Pooh. :D

I have to stop myself from saying that anytime I'm anonymous :P. I started saying it just for fun, but it became a habit.

Elysian sat at the edge of the camp. Light from the fire played across his back, but its warmth did not reach him.  Even if he’d been closer, the flames could not cure the chill his heart felt. Today he had been responsible for the death of an innocent man. Not only that, but he had turned brother against brother, friend against friend. Frederick and Duncan were close, that much was evident. The power of the Forgotten to shatter a bond like that was just as terrible as their command of the chalklings.

As the camp settled into its nighttime routine, the fire burned lower, deepening the shadows around him. Longing the escape of sleep, yet dreading the nightmares it might bring, Elysian let the night overpower his mind.

Elysian dreamed of fire. Not the warming fire of the camp, but of the raging fires of destruction and failure. He knelt in the center of a village, burning around him, ashamed of his failure. *Thwack* A pain exploded in the back of Elysian’s head as he toppled into the dust. When the stars faded from his vision, he could make out the transparent outline of an old man hefting a staff, standing over him.

“Get up you fool. It’s not over yet. This,” he waved his stick at the carnage around them, “hasn’t happened. My story ends this way, but yours isn’t finished. It might turn out like this, but you still have work to do.”

“Work. Just like the work I did today? Destroying families…”

“Just like that. That’s what you signed up for when you came out here. When it’s all done, if you’re still alive, you can feel sorry for yourself then. Fredrick knew what he was getting himself into, and so did Duncan. Don’t let either of their losses be in vain.” The elder pointed the staff menacingly. “Get back out there and do your job until you drop.”

The dream faded from Elysian’s mind, replaced with the darkness of the night. And slowly, he got on his feet and walked toward the fire. Toward friends and toward the light.  His soul needed all the brightening it could get, for more dark work awaited the next day.

CW: It gets a bit dark at the end, but it gets better. Think Kaladin and blackbane in WoK. Please read with caution.

Edited to add: Also, as much as I'm apparently externalising my internal angst and psychological conflict in this game by appealing to what the Wyrm in my head would say (Duncan, is that you bleeding through here?), I have been duly informed by my superior in the Inquisition to clarify for everyone's benefit: "I take no responsibility and am not advising Kas on the game. This is his own stupid idea, and really, even if he was listening to me, he knows better than to do that by now."

THE EDGE OF NIGHT

Duncan badly wanted a drink.

Wyatt smiled. Black bled into the whites of his eyes. In the gathering of dusk, he was more charcoal shadow than man. "Good soldiers follow orders," he hissed. Duncan tossed a pebble at him half-heartedly and it passed through Wyatt as if he wasn't there.

Maybe he wasn't. Duncan rubbed at his eyes with the heel of his hand. He was having difficulty telling, as the days wore on and he just wanted a drink, something to numb the pain, to forget everything. To forget what Nebrask had made of him. To forget what he had done.

Oh, Frederick, he thought, and he'd drunk, just a little, he supposed, but it wasn't nearly enough to cleanse the tar-black guilt from his soul and heart. He'd defended his little brother, but only half-heartedly, and now Frederick had followed him to Nebrask and to death. Another stone to lay against his soul, another charcoal smudge, and Duncan considered this the blackest and darkest. Frederick had never seemed touched by Nebrask. Duncan had never wanted this for him.

And when Shimamura Sakura bore away his brother's body to offer him a decent burial, all Duncan could do was to drink from the last of the Respected Madman's stash, but it wasn't enough, and the guilt was there, and clinging to his soul, daubed in charcoal. 

How many more? Duncan wondered. How many more would there be?

He couldn't meet Shimamura's eyes at all as she returned, even though he wanted to thank her. Someone had done right by Frederick at least, even if she, too, had called for his court-martial. Frederick, cold and still. Was this justice? Duncan, still living, still surviving, still drawing breath although he suspected he had died a very long time ago on Nebrask with the rest of his platoon. It was a shadow that had come home, someone who didn't know how to laugh, or smile. He'd left too much of himself on Nebrask, where Dig lay beneath the silent earth. Where Matt had fallen. Where Rlint had been betrayed and murdered. Where Tavi had in turn been killed as they turned upon each other as brotherhood and comradeship failed, at the end.

Wyatt tsk-ed. "Did you really think you could get rid of me so easily, soldier?" he asked.

"Worth a shot," Duncan grunted. He wanted to stop feeling. He wanted to die. It should have been him, and not TJ. Not Frederick. 

At what cost?

"Rude," said Wyatt. "I'm just trying to help you."

"You said that," Duncan snapped. "You always said that. Orders from the CO, you said. Good soldiers follow orders. We'd..." his vision blurred, and he realised his voice was trembling, too. "You said we'd hold the line, until the replacements came. I believed you, and I helped you murder my own squadmates!"

And there it was. The first sin, the blood on the earth of the garden, the first murder, the one that stretched back all the way in a carmine chain of blood and betrayal to the first life when brother slew brother (a Ghostblood snaps off an arrow from his Shardplate, wisps of Stormlight leaking from the shattered gems; afraid and ready to die at the same time, a dying darkeyes collapses on wartorn streets from five stabs to his back, still reaching out to his assailant with the last of his strength, still trusting, still—)

"Humans," Wyatt said. "Predictable. You never wanted to kill, so all I needed to do to tirelessly root out loyal soldiers was to tell you what you wanted to hear. Orders from the CO. Duty. Do it." He knelt down. "You know the truth? You were afraid. You wanted meaning, structure, order. A tidy story, in which you were the hero. I gave you everything you wanted, Duncan. And now you cry about how that's what you never wanted?"

"Go 'way," Duncan whispered. "Go away, go away, GO AWAY!"

The last words came out in a strangled shriek, as he hefted the empty spirits bottle. "I have a glass bottle and I'm not afraid to use it!"

"Will you?" Wyatt asked. "I don't think you know what to do without me, Duncan. I think you need me. I think you're still afraid. And that's why you hesitated. Two Forgotten, dead, but the last you let live."

Kessen and Tory. He did what he had to, but then Wyatt had woken up and—had he hesitated? Was this his fault? (It was, because Wyatt had been kind, Wyatt had given him direction, and Wyatt had been the mentor that a fresh young Rithmatist on his first tour on Nebrask needed, and Wyatt had been the perfect combination of duty and good humour that young Duncan, old Duncan had needed, and Duncan had trusted him and believed him and it was his hands that held the chalk and he would never, ever be free of that sin.)

"Go away," Duncan whispered, hoarsely. He squeezed his eyes shut, and when he opened them again, the camp was empty. Talking to himself again. He rubbed at his eyes, until the blurriness went away, but he was shaking and he couldn't seem to stop. He stared at the bottle in his hands. He'd killed before, he thought. He knew how to kill. He could make it fast, or—

They would come for him, the Forgotten here. They would kill him. Of course they would. He had taken down two of their own, which made him harder to set up, the way they'd set Frederick up. He didn't have to fight it. He could wait, and welcome death. And maybe... Duncan's throat choked up. Maybe that would be a form of justice, too.

If I die, let me die, he thought. Let him live, he'd prayed to the Master, for Frederick. But the Master had done nothing. The Master had heeded no cries, that first tour on Nebrask, and Duncan's faith had died inside him. 

"Stop it," someone said, and Duncan knew that voice, and it cut through him like a knife, and he was grieving and raw all over again. He squeezed his eyes tightly shut. No. He could not—would not—did not deserve to—look. "I came to Nebrask for you, you know."

"Shouldn't have," Duncan managed, with a strangled sob.

"Well, I did," said Frederick. "And I don't hold this against you. I wish you could've saved me—"

"I don't think I could have."

"I wish you tried," Frederick said, and Duncan's heart broke all over again. "But it's done, and I think they would've distrusted me anyway, if I'd lived."

But he hadn't. And now Duncan was all alone again.

"Don't go," he whispered, when there was silence. He opened his eyes, cautiously. Just a crack.

Frederick was smiling at him, and Duncan's vision blurred with renewed tears. "Make me wait, alright?" Frederick said. "I'm not in a hurry, so you shouldn't be, either. I always looked up to you, you know. All the stories you'd tell me in your letters, about Nebrask."

"I'm no hero," Duncan croaked. "Just...broken." Just a coward.

He couldn't save his platoon, and he couldn't save Frederick, either. I wish you'd tried.

"You don't have to be," Frederick said. "We've got enough heroes, I think. We could do with fewer of them. And this whole camp is full of soldiers."

"Then what do you want from me?" Duncan begged.

"Live," said Frederick, and it was both a cruelty and kindness. "Forgive yourself. Remember us. And Ward the camp. Be their watcher, since I could not."

"Okay," Duncan said, and he ignored the prickle of tears in his eyes. "I'll try."

And then he was alone again, with only the ghosts in his head and the scars on his soul, and an empty bottle in his hands and two more on the floor, still stinking of alcohol. He wanted nothing more than to lie here and give up, but he'd given Frederick his word.

How long can I keep doing this, Frederick? Duncan pleaded.

He thought he could see Frederick again, shaking his head. Make me wait, Frederick had said. 

Duncan supposed he could do that.

He took the next step.

Edited by Kasimir

14 minutes ago, Ventyl said:

Who ever took the Lantern should use it. Only the minimum number of people should draw Lines of Warding, because we can determine whether Flyingbooks is elim or village with the Shadowblaze.

[OOC: I have a Line of Warding claim. This should suffice. We can do one more if we want to be sure, I guess.

Edited to add: Aye, Gears - my second Lantern bearer claim came from Striker.]

Edited by Kasimir

20 minutes ago, Ventyl said:

Who ever took the Lantern should use it. Only the minimum number of people should draw Lines of Warding, because we can determine whether Flyingbooks is elim or village with the Shadowblaze.

1. Unless I'm misremembering, Lantern is passive. 2. I don't see the point of minimising Lines. If the Lanterns show one more than reported, then we trust them, and this way, we don't risk being overrun. Either way, the elims can throw Defense to cover it, so why risk it?

I have a robotics tournament today and tomorrow, so I may not be able to get on at all for the rest of the turn and a good amount of the next one.

Edited by Gears

6 minutes ago, Gears said:

1. Unless I'm misremembering, Lantern is passive. 2. I don't see the point of minimising Lines. If the Lanterns show one more than reported, then we trust them, and this way, we don't risk being overrun. Either way, the elims can throw Defense to cover it, so why risk it?

[OOC: I'm fond of not overdoing it on lines - one or two more lines or Acid is fine, but if we can get a bit more fine-tuned, we can get Lines of Making scans off, which might be much more helpful especially if we can catch someone making the kill. But if it comes down to it, absolutely: better to overshoot than get overrun.

All the best with the tournament!]

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

[OOC: I'm fond of not overdoing it on lines - one or two more lines or Acid is fine, but if we can get a bit more fine-tuned, we can get Lines of Making scans off, which might be much more helpful especially if we can catch someone making the kill. But if it comes down to it, absolutely: better to overshoot than get overrun.

All the best with the tournament!]

I drew a line. I did it as soon as I got on, but forgot to say anything. Sorry. 

Just now, Random Bystander said:

Today. I drew one as soon a I got on, but then forgot to post anything about it.

[OOC: Oh Lordy. Okay. This is good but unfortunately, by declaring now before the Night has ended, you may also have made yourself a target for a roleblock. Lantern bearers, y'all may want to confirm the tally come morning, but at this point, we're expecting 3 Lines of Warding.]

Just now, Kasimir said:

[OOC: Oh Lordy. Okay. This is good but unfortunately, by declaring now before the Night has ended, you may also have made yourself a target for a roleblock. Lantern bearers, y'all may want to confirm the tally come morning, but at this point, we're expecting 3 Lines of Warding.]

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. My bad.