Scadrian Truthwatcher

Would it be possible to use a duraluminmind to store Connection to other metalminds? That way you could have metalminds taking up entire rooms and not have to lug them around everywhere.

Also, would it be possible to Compound enough Investiture with nicrosil to give yourself almost Shard-esque powers? Could you use the Spark of Life or other such Innate Investiture to fill a nicrosilmind? Could you store a Shard in a nicrosilmind?

Could two Archivists use an unkeyed copper wire to communicate (i.e. one stores the memory of a sheet of paper saying “Hi. How are you today?” and the other taps that memory, writes down their response and sends it back)? And what would happen if you compounded a coppermind?

1 hour ago, Scadrian Truthwatcher said:

Would it be possible to use a duraluminmind to store Connection to other metalminds? That way you could have metalminds taking up entire rooms and not have to lug them around everywhere.

Also, would it be possible to Compound enough Investiture with nicrosil to give yourself almost Shard-esque powers? Could you use the Spark of Life or other such Innate Investiture to fill a nicrosilmind? Could you store a Shard in a nicrosilmind?

Could two Archivists use an unkeyed copper wire to communicate (i.e. one stores the memory of a sheet of paper saying “Hi. How are you today?” and the other taps that memory, writes down their response and sends it back)? And what would happen if you compounded a coppermind?

The first one might be possible if the person is a full Feruchemist and the other metalminds which you want to Connection-hack belong to him. Otherwise it'd need to be an Unkeyed Metalmind, which means it can be used by any Feruchemist or Ferring of the requisite ability.

No, you cannot Compound to create Investiture from nothing. What happens during Compounding is that a Fullborn (Mistborn Allomancer and full Feruchemist) or a Twinborn whose Misting and Ferring abilities derive from the same metal burns their Metalminds like an Allomancer rather than tapping them like a Feruchemist to get more of the attribute stored in the Metalmind. Feruchemists take out what they store but Allomancers use metal as a key to access power directly from Preservation. So what happens during Compounding is that the Fullborn/Twinborn probably also accesses the power of Preservation and converts it into the attribute stored into the metal. So you cannot Compound away to get that much Investiture, and the Investiture you do get would be converted into the Feruchemical attribute that is stored within the Metalmind.

Theoretically, yes, two Archivists could do that, but it would need to be an Unkeyed Metalmind. Unless dual Identity Metalminds are possible... they might be.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

The first one might be possible if the person is a full Feruchemist and the other metalminds which you want to Connection-hack belong to him. Otherwise it'd need to be an Unkeyed Metalmind, which means it can be used by any Feruchemist or Ferring of the requisite ability.

Doesn't have to be a full Feruchemist, unless I'm thinking wrong, but Hemalurgy would also work. 

14 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Doesn't have to be a full Feruchemist, unless I'm thinking wrong, but Hemalurgy would also work. 

Well, it can't be a Ferring since they'd need to be able to fill a Duraluminmind and at least one other type of metalmind.

And much like Mistborn and Mistings: all metals or one metal, it's the same for Feruchemists: all metals or one metal. Or you could be a Hemalurgist.

Edited by Honorless

First off, Welcome to the Shard! 

3 hours ago, Scadrian Truthwatcher said:

I dont think so, personally, because the need for physical contact is baked into Feruchemy just like burning the internal metals is baked into Allomancy.  In all the Cosmere it might be possible, but I suspect you'd need to hack some other planet's system into the equation to bypass that fundamental Physical Realm requirement of Feruchemy.  But I could be wrong, and if Dor can theoretically be tapped off-world with effort perhaps Metalminds can be too. 

Also, would it be possible to Compound enough Investiture with nicrosil to give yourself almost Shard-esque powers?

Kinda sorta yes no maybe. In theory anyone that can forge a strong enough Connection to a Shard and/or channel enough of their Investiture will at least partly Ascend, which can include access to Shard-like Powers.  Burning enough Atium, tapping the Mists directly, taking up the Well, and the weird Orb in Secret History are all examples of this (at varying degrees of power).  So with enough Compounding, flaring, duralumin, etc you might be able to get some degree of Ascension going, but I think you also might risk burning yourself out in the attempt.  And all of that kind of assumes that the current Shard vessel lets it happen (or is too distracted to stop it).

Could you use the Spark of Life or other such Innate Investiture to fill a nicrosilmind? 

Hard to say, and it kind of depends on your definition. In general, Intent Matters a lot with the more "targeted" Feruchemy metals, like we know you can store all kinds of "senses" if you visualize it right.  On the other hand, the philosophic argument could be made that Feruchemy already stores "Spark of Life" Investiture by definition, with each metal just storing different aspects of it (kind of a white light vs colors analogy).  So maybe you can visualize a more generic Life Investiture that encompasses more, then store it in a normalNicrosil-mind.  Or maybe that's the mysterious and unrevealed feruchemical power of Lerasium, storing this broader Feruchemical Spirit-power.  

Could you store a Shard in a nicrosilmind?

Per WOB you cannot store a shard in a spike, there are real limits to how much investiture you can store in the physical metal by those means.

Could two Archivists use an unkeyed copper wire to communicate (i.e. one stores the memory of a sheet of paper saying “Hi. How are you today?” and the other taps that memory, writes down their response and sends it back)?

So long as both Archivists are picturing the wire/sheet as one single object, then sure, as far as I know this should work. There might be some practical length limit that keeps trans-continental telegraphs from being practical, but I dont know of any specific evidence of that since metalminds of that size have never appeared.  

And what would happen if you compounded a coppermind?

We have asked many times and he refuses to answer this, and most questions about Compounding, saying he's saving those reveals for future books.  Theories abound but Im not sure any of them have taken the lead.

23 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Well, it can't be a Ferring since they'd need to be able to fill a Duraluminmind and at least one other type of metalmind.

And much like Mistborn and Mistings: all metals or one metal, it's the same for Feruchemists: all metals or one metal. Or you could be a Hemalurgist.

Also Medallions open some options.  

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Also Medallions open some options.  

Yup, mentioned that in the first reply to OP:

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Also, a question: medallion is a fanbase term like Shardpool, iirc, right? We don't have a canonical name for Southern Scadrian mechanical Allomancy tech?

15 minutes ago, Frustration said:

@Honorless Halfborn are a thing.

I have no idea what that term is... 

3 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Yup, mentioned that in the first reply to OP:

d'oh! sorry

Also, a question: medallion is a fanbase term like Shardpool, iirc, right? We don't have a canonical name for Southern Scadrian mechanical Allomancy tech?

Nah, "medallion" is what they were being called in Bands of Mourning.  Though I suppose the argument could be made that the term only applies to the common commodity shape that the Southerners use, as a subset of UnSealed metalminds.  "UnSealed Metalminds" hasnt appeared on page yet, but that term was at the direct request in a WOB, though he said era 3 characters might use a slang term.

I have no idea what that term is... 

I too had no idea what it meant, and had missed the WOB.  My immediate question is: Why are these "halfborn" possible now when they were not before?  Is this a Harmony-Era change?  We know he changed both Snapping and Koloss reproduction, perhaps those changes allowed more "blending" options of the powers?

Doc_John

Hey, you've mentioned before that for the Lord Ruler to be able to be a Mistborn and a Feruchemist he had to alter his spiritweb in some way because a person can't normally hold all 32 powers. What about a Mistborn Ferring? Would it be possible for someone born with all 16 powers of Allomancy to also be born with a Ferring power? What about a Ferring Mistling? Thanks

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible now, when it once wasn't, but would be very unlikely.

Doc_John

Just as getting a Mistborn nowadays is very unlikely but that hasn't stopped people from trying ;) ;)

Follow up, having past a certain number of medallions doesn't work currently in world. Is this because of this same issue? Or is it more of a technical hurdle with the medallion?

Brandon Sanderson

The core root is the same issue, but it's not insurmountable with technological improvements.

General Reddit 2020 (Aug. 13, 2020)