Title Absent

Enter a username

For my thousandth post, I'm making an RP. (Well, it was supposed to be my thousandth, but due to a hasty decision and lack of foresight on my part, I accidentally wasted it. So, this'll have to be a thousand and one.) My idea was that everyone was born with a certain spell, or "Effect," as they're known in-world. These Effects are visual, well, effects, such as, say, a blue ball spinning upward. They're typically about a foot long in each dimension and a second or two long. (I guess I should clarify; I mean spatial dimensions.) Activating them is usually a conscious decision, though someone could keep it activated continuously for much longer than a second or two. They're usually visual, but some (about one in ten) have an additional audial component, and even more rarely, (about one in ten thousand) it changes actual things (like turning something green for a few seconds.) They also have a distinctive, indefinable quality that's impossible to replicate. They're also completely unique, meaning that any given person's Effect has never been seen before and will never be seen again. As for technology, they have roughly what was used around the late 1770s (muskets, cannons, wooden warships, etc). The more scholarly residents are also somewhat macrosmos-aware, though your average person won't be. 

I'll put any questions I answer into this spoiler box, sorted by worldbuilding vs. plot vs. the RP itself: 

Spoiler

Worldbuilding

Spoiler
On 1/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, I think I am here. said:

I’m in! :D What do the Effects do for the person who has them?

They have no physical substance, but can be used for perfectly reliable identification.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:34 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

Shall I assume that besides these "Effects," this world is similar to ours during the 1770s?

Pretty much. (Minus a world-changing revolution.)

On 1/19/2021 at 5:46 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

So (I'm a cheese burger loving American, that means I'll make this assumption) the 13 colonies are still under British control, limiting how much the French spent and potentially leading to the no French revolution. I might also want to note that if there's no French Revolution, there would be no Napoleonic Empire in Europe, leading to the era named after it (the Napoleonic Era) being dramatically different.

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, which is not only plausible, but probably. I am the kind of guy who loves to thing about stuff like this, so you're welcome.

You mean another Revolution, don't you?

This RP is happening on another planet in another universe, meaning that here, there's no Great Britain or American Colonies or anything like that, though there is quite a bit of colonization happening.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:59 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

I see. I find that mildly disappointing as I was looking forward to that, but it is what it is.

Anything specific for world-building, i.e. notable nations, cultures, and anything that the "regular" people would know? I understand if the answer is no, myself am just fascinated by world-building.

Just by reading that, I came up with a whole bunch of stuff.

There are three main continents: the northwest one, the southeast one, and the middle one. The northwest one has a mountain range roughly splitting it in two, with the northeast half being inhospitable desert and... I'm just going to draw it.

Spoiler

6007969581635_TitleAbsentmap.png.1dcbcae767d9ae5d738551853e7c7663.png

Please note that this is a very rough overview (The continents aren't actually circles, the country borders aren't really that smooth, etc.), but should give you a basic idea of what it looks like.

As far as culture is concerned, all three countries are monarchies, ranging from "could be better" (post-Reod Arelon) to "I never want to leave" (I can't think of anything else, so just imagine the exact opposite of the Final Empire).

Anything that regular people would know... Can't really think of anything specific off the top of my head.

Note: since answering this, one of the countries has become much worse than Arelon under Iadon.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:51 PM, 2EmLee2 said:

I'd like to join the RP! As no one has yet to post anything related to the plot, I guess I could start! But a question first: Can Effects change color or shape or size because of things like emotion or weather or things like that?

I'd have to say no. Effects do things completely consistently, leaving no margin for anything at all.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:39 PM, Dannex said:

Also, you said that 1/10,000 Effects can physically change things. How much can this added ability vary? Like, what would be the most powerful Effect possible? Or the most powerful one recorded in-world up to this point?

And I guess I could have phrased that better. None of them actually physically change things. What that 1/10,000 does is somewhat similar to normal ones, just projected onto a physical object. I'd say that the most powerful Aspect possible would be turning a wall transparent, or something along those lines.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:45 PM, Not an Ookla said:

What would they use these Effects for?

Mostly for identification, though the louder and flashier ones could possibly be used for distracting or stunning someone for a moment.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, Dannex said:

So what are Effects actually used for then? Seems like they’d have little use other than identification. Are there any other kinds of magic on this world? Because right now it seems like it’s just 1770 earth with fancy ID cards. 

Really, that's all most Effects are. Fancy ID cards that glow. You could use one as a sort of flashlight, if you wanted to. And there aren't any more kinds of magic native to this world. (Someone traveling here and using magic from out-of-universe, though... is not out of the question.)

Plot

Spoiler
On 1/19/2021 at 7:39 PM, Dannex said:

Soooooo what’s the actual conflict? Can’t have any plot without conflict.

I... don't actually know what the conflict is going to be. (Maybe a war between the three countries?)

The RP Itself

Spoiler
On 1/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, Not an Ookla said:

I'd love to join! Do I need a character sheet?

Kind of? Just give a basic rundown of your character, and that should be enough.

Now that we're actually starting the RP, I'm putting all the worldbuilding we've done so far, as compiled by @JesterLavorre :

18 minutes ago, JesterLavorre said:

Here it is, all the world building. (Maybe paste this into the OP?)

Reveal hidden contents

The Story so Far:

A new continent, named Coyotl, has been discovered (there is still one other undiscovered continent named Oriova), and the three most powerful nations of the world are scrambling to colonize it to attain a special plant which can't grow outside of Coyotl. A short, cyan fern that interacts strangely with effects. Scientists have found a way to make the fern into masks that mimic peoples' faces and voices when exposed to their effects. (think Mission Impossible).

The three main nations have started instituting a policy of tracking people through their effects, which the colonies are against. Zarokhava is trying to make a push to fully conquer the other countries. War is looking ever more likely as the colonies want to gain independence and Zarokhava becomes more ambitious.

Nations and Colonies:

Reveal hidden contents

Xalinas (Nation X)

The best of the big three. A monarchy, but not too oppressive. They have tension with Zarokhava after the two just had a war. They maintain better relationships with their colonies.

Xalinas Colonies

Doing well. Very loyal to their motherland.

Yhevra (Nation Y)

Just had a big economic collapse. It is suspected they are merely just a puppet regime for Zarokhava, now. They instituted a similar tracking policy to Zarokhava just afterward. Zarokhava wants to finish conquering them so that it can gain access to their sea border.

Yhevra Colonies

These colonies aren't doing well. They want to become independent, but need shipments of food from the motherland to get by, so are heavily reliant.

Zarokhava (Nation Z)

The bad guys. A monarchy that combines the worst part of the Final Empire, the Soviet Union, and North Korea. The wealth gap is huge, and many of the rich don't even know what it's like for their citizens. Secret police, famine, and plague abound. Zarokhava is landlocked, so they want to canquer the countries with sea borders. They were the first to push tracking everyone with their effects and forced Leluhlel to follow.

New Zarok

The Zarokhavian colonies. They are much better off than their mainland. They are fully autonomous and are the main ones instigating an independence movement in the colonies to combat the use of effect tracking.

The Natives

There are natives on Coyotl, though they call it Takhat. Only the Yhevra Colonists know about the natives, because the natives live beyond the mountains. They also have some minor ability to change their appearance. Yhevra has started using natives a slaves "due to necessity".

As the RP Starts...

The countries and colonies are all meeting on the mainland to discuss politics and the use of effect tracking. Tensions are high and war is inevitable. The only question is that of loyalties.

I may or may not have stolen the core of this idea from Brilliant

Edited by Enter a username
Questions, Answers, and Worldbuilding

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

I’m in! :D What do the Effects do for the person who has them?

They have no physical substance, but can be used for perfectly reliable identification.

5 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Shall I assume that besides these "Effects," this world is similar to ours during the 1770s?

Pretty much. (Minus a world-changing revolution.)

10 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

So (I'm a cheese burger loving American, that means I'll make this assumption) the 13 colonies are still under British control, limiting how much the French spent and potentially leading to no French revolution. I might also want to note that if there's no French Revolution, there would be no Napoleonic Empire in Europe, leading to the era named after it (the Napoleonic Era) being dramatically different.

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, which is not only plausible, but probable. I am the kind of guy who loves to thing about stuff like this, so you're welcome.

You mean a different Revolution, don't you?

Edited by The Ward's Guard

Just now, The Ward's Guard said:

So (I'm a cheese burger loving American, that means I'll make this assumption) the 13 colonies are still under British control, limiting how much the French spent and potentially leading to the no French revolution. I might also want to note that if there's no French Revolution, there would be no Napoleonic Empire in Europe, leading to the era named after it (the Napoleonic Era) being dramatically different.

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, which is not only plausible, but probably. I am the kind of guy who loves to thing about stuff like this, so you're welcome.

You mean another Revolution, don't you?

This RP is happening on another planet in another universe, meaning that here, there's no Great Britain or American Colonies or anything like that, though there is quite a bit of colonization happening.

6 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

I see. I find that mildly disappointing as I was looking forward to that, but it is what it is.

Anything specific for world-building, i.e. notable nations, cultures, and anything that the "regular" people would know? I understand if the answer is no, I myself am fascinated by world-building.

Edited by The Ward's Guard

3 minutes ago, midnight13 said:

Hello! I’m kinda new to RP’s (I’ve never done one before), but this one seemed really interesting. :) I’d like to join, if all of you don’t mind me not understanding half of what’s going on.

I can't say I have much experience with "real" RPs, either.

Just now, The Ward's Guard said:

Anything specific for world-building, i.e. notable nations, cultures, and anything that the "regular" people would know? I understand if the answer is no, myself am just fascinated by world-building.

Just by reading that, I came up with a whole bunch of stuff.

There are three main continents: the northwest one, the southeast one, and the middle one. The northwest one has a mountain range roughly splitting it in two, with the northeast half being inhospitable desert and... I'm just going to draw it.

Spoiler

6007969581635_TitleAbsentmap.png.1dcbcae767d9ae5d738551853e7c7663.png

Please note that this is a very rough overview (The continents aren't actually circles, the country borders aren't really that smooth, etc.), but should give you a basic idea of what it looks like.

As far as culture is concerned, all three countries are monarchies, ranging from "could be better" (post-Reod Arelon) to "I never want to leave" (I can't think of anything else, so just imagine the exact opposite of the Final Empire).

Anything that regular people would know... Can't really think of anything specific off the top of my head.

Just now, 2EmLee2 said:

I'd like to join the RP! As no one has yet to post anything related to the plot, I guess I could start! But a question first: Can Effects change color or shape or size because of things like emotion or weather or things like that?

I'd have to say no. Effects do things completely consistently, leaving no margin for anything at all.

Just now, Enter a username said:

Aw, dang itBut never mind that.

Alen walked down the street, activating her Effect just for the sake of it. It was a 2D five-point star that spun on its vertical axis three feet in front of her. It was a foot tall and a foot wide, and very pretty. It was shiny with the colors of a sunset or a sunrise: Pink, yellow, orange, and red. It gave off a small light that could illuminate Alen and a small area around her.

Also, you said that 1/10,000 Effects can physically change things. How much can this added ability vary? Like, what would be the most powerful Effect possible? Or the most powerful one recorded in-world up to this point?

2 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I... don't actually know what the conflict is going to be. (Maybe a war between the three countries?)

And I guess I could have phrased that better. None of them actually physically change things. What that 1/10,000 does is somewhat similar to normal ones, just projected onto a physical object. I'd say that the most powerful Aspect possible would be turning a wall transparent, or something along those lines.

2 minutes ago, Not an Ookla said:

What would they use these Effects for?

Mostly for identification, though the louder and flashier ones could possibly be used for distracting or stunning someone for a moment.

8 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

what similar to normal ones, just projected onto a physical object. I'd say that the most powerful Aspect possible would be turning a wall transparent, or something along those lines.

So what are Effects actually used for then? Seems like they’d have little use other than identification. Are there any other kinds of magic on this world? Because right now it seems like it’s just 1770 earth with fancy ID cards. 

Edit: not that’s that’s a bad thing, just not a lot going on magically.

Edited by Dannex

9 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Really, that's all most Effects are. Fancy ID cards that glow. You could use one as a sort of flashlight, if you wanted to. And there aren't any more kinds of magic native to this world. (Someone traveling here and using magic from out-of-universe, though... is not out of the question.)

Edited by Enter a username

Can I join? I'll be Able, called Unable by his friends. Able has and interesting Effect that expands outwards from his skin. Meaning he can have a semi-bright aurora around him. Oh, it's just plain light that filters through clothes, so if he has green clothes, he will have green light where clothes cover his body.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

Can I join? I'll be Able, called Unable by his friends. Able has and interesting Effect that expands outwards from his skin. Meaning he can have a semi-bright aurora around him. Oh, it's just plain light that filters through clothes, so if he has green clothes, he will have green light where clothes cover his body.

Sure! Does your character want to be friends with mine?