Leshwi and Kaladin Potential Relationship...

Kaladin Is a Hero

Hi all, 

I was just thinking about ROW for the 1,000,000,000 time since I finished it-maybe that is a bit of an overreaction-and couldn't help but be invested in the relationship between Kaladin and Leshwi. Granted, they don't spend much time together in this book, but from their limited interactions, even though they are trying to kill each other for some of them, there is a respect hanging between the two, and a strange chemistry. Plus, throughout most of the book Leshwi attempts to protect Kaladin-her enemy-and at the end I think Kaladin offers refuge for her and her singers. 

Also, I think BrandoSando has mentioned that in the past on Roshar there were Human-Singer couples and children. Aren't the Horneaters distant ancestors of Human-Singer cross breeding?

Anyway, I just want to see the relationship between these two grow, because I think it has a lot of potential and the chemistry and basic foundations are already there. 

What do you all think about this potential Kaladin-Leshwi romance?

Love you all!

I reread their early RoW fighting scenes yesterday and ngl I kind of found myself shipping them too. They seem to respect and understand each other without even talking and they seem to have a similar moral code, Kaladin/Jasnah cannot relate. (Hm but does Kaladin know that Leshwi sponsored Moash tho :unsure:)

I certainly agree that there is clearly a mutual respect and understanding between them as honorable opponents, and it was even more exciting to see them interact as, well, not "allies" exactly, but at least NOT-opponents at the end.  It gave me a warm feeling, similar to the relationship between Navani and Raboniel - the idea that while we may be on "opposite" sides of a conflict, we don't have to wish destruction on each other.  That in the end, we are all just people, doing the best we can, and we can have hopes, dreams, and even goals in common.

Yes, @Kaladin Is a Hero, it is canon 

Spoiler

that both Horneaters and Herdazians have Singer ancestry (my mind was blown when I learned that)

so it's certainly not out of the question in THAT way.

I'm not even particularly troubled by the insanity of the Fused; Leshwi seems to be holding up pretty well, and how many of our beloved main characters DON'T have some kind of mental instability or challenge?  Renarin?  Shallan?  Kaladin has his own issues regarding mental health.  This need not, and should not, disqualify someone from having meaningful relationships.

There are other "details" that I think may be more relevant to the possibility a ROMANTIC relationship between Leshwi and Kal.  One is that Leshwi is currently inhabiting a male body.  Romantic dealbreaker for Kaladin?  Obviously it's up to him... but he's always come across as firmly cis / hetero to me (past girlfriends, surprised by Drehy's boyfriend, etc.).

I'm also worried about the fact that since Leshwi and her comrades seem to have left the service of Odium.  Are they going to find that to be a problem in terms of Investiture?  We've never seen how the Fused get refills of Voidlight; will it still be possible for the defectors?  Will they even be reborn if killed?  I have a feeling things are going to be very messy there.

Edit to add:  I'm also anticipating that Kaladin will be spending the bulk of Book 5 having adventures in Shinovar, which is just about as far from Leshwi as you can be on Roshar.

So I hate to be a buzzkill, but I think there are several reasons we will not see this romance, no matter how much we'd like it.

Edited by AquaRegia
thought of something else

On 1/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, AquaRegia said:

I certainly agree that there is clearly a mutual respect and understanding between them as honorable opponents, and it was even more exciting to see them interact as, well, not "allies" exactly, but at least NOT-opponents at the end.  It gave me a warm feeling, similar to the relationship between Navani and Raboniel - the idea that while we may be on "opposite" sides of a conflict, we don't have to wish destruction on each other.  That in the end, we are all just people, doing the best we can, and we can have hopes, dreams, and even goals in common.

Yes, @Kaladin Is a Hero, it is canon 

Reveal hidden contents

that both Horneaters and Herdazians have Singer ancestry (my mind was blown when I learned that)

so it's certainly not out of the question in THAT way.

I'm not even particularly troubled by the insanity of the Fused; Leshwi seems to be holding up pretty well, and how many of our beloved main characters DON'T have some kind of mental instability or challenge?  Renarin?  Shallan?  Kaladin has his own issues regarding mental health.  This need not, and should not, disqualify someone from having meaningful relationships.

There are other "details" that I think may be more relevant to the possibility a ROMANTIC relationship between Leshwi and Kal.  One is that Leshwi is currently inhabiting a male body.  Romantic dealbreaker for Kaladin?  Obviously it's up to him... but he's always come across as firmly cis / hetero to me (past girlfriends, surprised by Drehy's boyfriend, etc.).

I'm also worried about the fact that since Leshwi and her comrades seem to have left the service of Odium.  Are they going to find that to be a problem in terms of Investiture?  We've never seen how the Fused get refills of Voidlight; will it still be possible for the defectors?  Will they even be reborn if killed?  I have a feeling things are going to be very messy there.

Edit to add:  I'm also anticipating that Kaladin will be spending the bulk of Book 5 having adventures in Shinovar, which is just about as far from Leshwi as you can be on Roshar.

So I hate to be a buzzkill, but I think there are several reasons we will not see this romance, no matter how much we'd like it.

I actually want to see BrandoSando be daring enough to have it not bother kaladin that Leshwi inhibits a male body, romantically. Anyways, in my mind part of the "attractiveness," of the singers are their mesmerizing patterns on their skin and not as much their body itself. 

On 1/19/2021 at 7:46 AM, yulyulk said:

(Hm but does Kaladin know that Leshwi sponsored Moash tho :unsure:)

I mean, technically Kaladin did as well. Depending on how whether Moash and Leshwi are at odds over her choice at the end of the book, it could very well be something that brings Kaladin and Leshwi together. I don't think Kaladin would hold much against her with regards to Moash considering Kaladin almost let him kill the king. 

3 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

I mean, technically Kaladin did as well. Depending on how whether Moash and Leshwi are at odds over her choice at the end of the book, it could very well be something that brings Kaladin and Leshwi together. I don't think Kaladin would hold much against her with regards to Moash considering Kaladin almost let him kill the king. 

To be fair, Kaladin was conflicted on supporting Moash from the very beginning, while Leshwi was all: "Prove yourself, give in to your passion and get your revenge." Kaladin almost let Moash kill Elhokar, but Leshwi flat out encouraged him to do it, and was praised for having scouted him in the first place.

I've been a bit curious with what Leshwi and Vyre's relationship is by the time of Rhythm of War. Given Leshwi's characterization in that book, it's hard to imagine she'd be supportive of his actions. According to Venli she respects him, but we don't see them interact at all so it's hard to tell. I don't think he'd hold her desertion against her though, he probably wouldn't care either way. When Khen said she wanted to leave the fighting, he was more confused but wasn't really upset with her.

On 19/01/2021 at 3:02 PM, Aluminum said:

If we don't get Syladin Leshwi is the next best thing. The only thing I would be concerned about is Leshwi is a fused and they are...... insane. 

Kal sees Syl as his annoying little sister, as much as I'd like to see it Syladin won't happen. Kaladin is trying to heal madness both natural and superatural so that part should be a problem. High level cosmere healing can change gender so the Malen body part shouldn't be a problem.

On 20/01/2021 at 10:58 PM, Harrycrapper said:

On 21/01/2021 at 2:57 AM, LuckyJim said:

I've been a bit curious with what Leshwi and Vyre's relationship is by the time of Rhythm of War. Given Leshwi's characterization in that book, it's hard to imagine she'd be supportive of his actions. According to Venli she respects him, but we don't see them interact at all so it's hard to tell. I don't think he'd hold her desertion against her though, he probably wouldn't care either way. When Khen said she wanted to leave the fighting, he was more confused but wasn't really upset with her.

Leshwi defected to Honour, Vyre's relationship with her from now on will either be "Die, traitor" or "I will bring you peace"

On 19/01/2021 at 5:45 PM, AquaRegia said:

It's unlikely Voidlight will be a problem, much like Stormlight was not a problem for Moash. And yeah, Leshwi going anyway near Ishi would be very stupid.

Edited by mathiau

2 hours ago, mathiau said:

It's unlikely Voidlight will be a problem, much like Stormlight was not a problem for Moash.

Hmm, but voidlight is harder to acquire because the Everstorm doesn't automatically refill gemstones like the Highstorm does. Venli says she needs to sing the Song of Prayers to get voidlight but it would draw Odium's attention. Not sure Odium would be willing to give Voidlight to a bunch of defectors. (Well, Rayse wouldn't. Unsure about the new guy.)

10 hours ago, GroundPetrel said:

I suspect that the whole "killed somebody to get the body" element would be a dealbreaker for Kaladin.  

Agreed, especially if it were to become a physical relationship. Kaladin doesn't seem like he'd be okay with being intimate with some random dead singer's posessed corpse. (And I would agree.)