Urithiru's size

CosmereComrade

So, i looked up if someone had already started a thread on this topic and I didn't find anything. Maybe it's something that was already known, but it just blew my mind when I read it:

When Navani encounters the "miniature" Urithiru (I think you call it mockup in english) she says the following: "It was 5 meters and a half in size (...) on that scale, floors weren't higher than 1 centimeter and a half".

With a simple calculation, you get to the conclusion that Urithiru has around 360 floors.

Since we infer that those floors look more or less normal (not too small) we could say they will be more or less 3 meters high (as per usual in our buildings) maybe higher due to alethi being very tall and not complaining about the height.

This would imply that the tower is, at a bare minimum, 1.1 Km heigh! (For people from the US, i looked it up and that would be 0.68 miles).

However, usually buildings have some floors that are notoriously heigher, so, making a comparison with our real world buildings, for example, the shanghai tower (580m 130 floors), being that Urithiru has more or less 3 times as many floors, we could come to the conclusion of it being over 1.6 Km! (this is 0.99 miles)

I don't know, Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt, it is actually like living inside of a moderately heigh mountain. 

We do get measurements for Urithiru, I'll go check the Coppermind for the data. It consists of 10 semi-circular levels, with each level being 18 stories tall, for a total of 180 floors. At approximately fifteen feet per story, the tower stands just over 2700 feet tall, that's around 823 meters, so sightly less than a kilometer. Urithiru was a mountain called Ur once upon a time.

6 hours ago, Honorless said:

We do get measurements for Urithiru, I'll go check the Coppermind for the data. It consists of 10 semi-circular levels, with each level being 18 stories tall, for a total of 180 floors. At approximately fifteen feet per story, the tower stands just over 2700 feet tall, that's around 823 meters, so sightly less than a kilometer. Urithiru was a mountain called Ur once upon a time.

That was directly told by someone at dragonsteel, wasn't it? I don't really like that answer, because just by asuming that a floor has to be around 3m heigh, it means that the tower is 366'6666 times larger than that according to navanis measurements of the miniature urithiru (which she states is made "on scale"). So even with less floors it has to be around 3m*366'666

I think we just should wait for any clarification that comes directly stated in next books or by a  WoB, because this was also something said before RoW. Maybe Brandon changed his mind on it, or maybe he just didn't calculate for the on-scale urithiru in the book.

However, even if it is slightly less than 1Km, it still is a-ma-zing to think about. Just imagine being on one of the heigher floors and looking outside of your window. It is also good to remember Urithiru is itself placed up on a mountain. So I presume it to be on an insanely heigh altitude, which would make ot very hard to even breathe if it weren't for the sibling.

I'd love to see a real life on scale miniature Urithiru tho, THAT would be amazing.

@CosmereComrade, here’s the official measurements:

Ben McSweeney

Stuff like this [Minecraft Urithiru] is why I wanted to draw orthographic views of the tower-city. :) The dimensions on Shallan's page are rough, but they will line up.

Each tier has approximately 18 floors, each floor is roughly 15' (interior ceilings vary from 8' to 14' unless they're incorporating the next floor). Total tower height is just over 2700'

General Reddit 2020 (May 28, 2020)

13 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

That is tall! The tallest building in the world right now is 180 meters tall! That makes it 8 times taller than the tallest building in the world!

I believe the tallest building on our version of Earth is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. It is 828 meters (2,717 feet).

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings

• 8 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, CaptainRyan said:

I believe the tallest building on our version of Earth is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. It is 828 meters (2,717 feet).

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings

Yes, the tallest building currently is Burj Khalifa. Though some planned buildings are a bit taller. 

Also, if anyone wants to bring up how Urithiru should be crushed by its own weight, this is brought up in Dawnshard with Rysn wondering why the lower floors don't collapse under the weight of the higher floors. It is also brought up in Oathbringer how the amount of land given wouldn't normally be able to feed the intended population of the building, which fits with calculations done on another Thread which I can't find. It is all due to Sibling shenanigans. 

6 hours ago, Zoey said:

Yes, the tallest building currently is Burj Khalifa. Though some planned buildings are a bit taller. 

Also, if anyone wants to bring up how Urithiru should be crushed by its own weight, this is brought up in Dawnshard with Rysn wondering why the lower floors don't collapse under the weight of the higher floors. It is also brought up in Oathbringer how the amount of land given wouldn't normally be able to feed the intended population of the building, which fits with calculations done on another Thread which I can't find. It is all due to Sibling shenanigans. 

I think that including the Sibling's abilities, it doesn't collapse under its own weight because the lower tiers are able to support the higher ones because of distribution of weight. That, and the lower gravity would make it easier to support.

Edited by Theldragor
Added some info