52 posts in this topic

The Ascension (Judgement)

91613FDC-08F3-470A-A8AC-9BD3B7171DB3.thumb.jpeg.d9e360884c8f86b3863c037fb304b71d.jpeg

The Ascension card retained its name from the original tarot cards, but the subject has been altered. It had previously depicted the Lord Ruler. The Ascension card represents Judgement, Rebirth, and Absolution. It is the second to last card of the Major Arcana.

The Cosmere (The World)

66A912A4-1E02-4ECD-AAF7-CD0876B6BB61.thumb.jpeg.8d26350ce92d65acae3a7f7fa9788429.jpeg

This card has several names, but is usually called the Cosmere. It represents Accomplishment, Integration and Travel. A certain organization whose name shall not be mentioned has its own name for this card. This card is sometimes called ‘The Worldhopper’ by those in the know.

The final trump card, it counts as a bout when playing tarot. If the player also has the first trump (the Sovereign) and the thirteenth (the Survivor) then the thirteenth trump counts as an additional bout. This is referred to as ‘The Survivor’s Hand.’ A player may call the hand for additional points at the beginning of play.

The design of this card is based off a the Lord Mistborn’s personal playing deck. Most Scadrians do not know the meaning of the symbols and have created their own symbology around them. It seems evident that the Lord Mistborn did know the meanings, however.

Some versions of this card display the Lord Mistborn instead of the Survivor/Sovereign. Some Sliverist owned decks show Ironeyes or the Lord Ruler. Prior to the fall of the Final Empire, the card displayed a random male or female figure or the Lord Ruler. Regardless of the deck used The Survivor’s Hand may be called.

Kelsier Mistbear holding The Survivor’s Hand

2194DE58-B5ED-41B6-9812-E9C46DD9AE2C.thumb.jpeg.49e8db31407952a25f6ac7da2d1dc0cc.jpeg
9E8A3D60-4EFC-4C5F-91E4-A1CE05789868.thumb.jpeg.cf940343926be1eeff8e3adc4f775fae.jpeg

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier Mistbear holding The Survivor’s Hand

2194DE58-B5ED-41B6-9812-E9C46DD9AE2C.thumb.jpeg.49e8db31407952a25f6ac7da2d1dc0cc.jpeg

I'm a simple man, I see Mistbear I upvote

Or so I would do if I still have upvotes today. sight...

Just now, mathiau said:

I'm a simple man, I see Mistbear I upvote

Or so I would do if I still have upvotes today. sight...

I edited to add a picture of him holding Kelsier’s reading, which has the same cards in a different order.

Mistborn of Spears:

59FB2C4C-15E3-40BC-8406-3BF0E6ED657E.thumb.jpeg.08ec19b5c68edaf39108fe4c77c040cc.jpeg

The Mistborn of Spears traditionally features Lord Kelsier. This suit has always been called Spears although the name had no significance prior to the Survivor’s death. This card represents Intellectual Power and Manipulation.

Noble of Spears:

30BD2B9D-4B47-488F-912D-793D156ED87F.thumb.jpeg.04328c00727d43d74211daa5f9e26923.jpeg

The Noble of Spears features Ironeyes, brother of the Survivor. The Scadrian symbol of death, this card represents Unbiased Judgement, Direct Communication, and Boundaries. Notably, the upper right symbol is Mah for Marsh, Ironeyes’ rarely used true name. 

Sharders! The point of posting this isn’t just to show off the art. It’s to get some thoughts about the mock-history of Tarot I’m creating for Scadrial.

Some things that I’ve decided are set:

The game Tarot came into popularity in the third or fourth century of TLR’s reign. It’s unclear when exactly the game developed. It plays similarly to French Tarot in our world. As in France, Tarot is very popular in North Scadrial.

The Skaa began playing Tarot sometime between the fifth and sixth centuries of TLR’s reign. This was mostly done by city Skaa. The game trikled down via Skaa thieves who learned it so they could better fit in among the nobility. Most Skaa created their own decks, as printed cards were harder to acquire.

It is unclear when Tarot cards began to be used for divinatory purposes. The first known use was in the late 8th century. Ironically, it seems the practice began among the Skaa and trikled upward to the nobility.

Following the fall of the Funal Empire many Skaa began redesigning the deck. There were multiple redesigns, as most decks were customized following the Skaa tradition of making their own.

The modern Scadrian deck is based off The Lord Mistborn’s personal deck, with two exceptions. The cards utilized for tarot and divination are the same, with many utilizing the same deck for both purposes. Most decks in modern Scadrial are printed.

The Sovereign card replaced the allomancer card after it was revealed that Kelsier was the Sovereign. Around the same time a spike was added to his image on the Cosmere card. This occurred around the time of Era 2, possibly a little later.

Scadrial has developed a few unique tarot rules that separate it from French Tarot:

The Survivor’s Hand: Tarot has three bouts, The Fool, The Sovereign and The Cosmere. If a taker holds The Sovereign, The Cosmere and The Survivor the last may be used as an additional bout. At least one of the three cards must be in the taker’s hand when The Survivor’s Hand is called. (The other two cards may be in the tricks pile.) The Hand may be called at any time during the round. The Survivor may not be used as a bout if it is being used as part of The Brothers.

The Brothers: If both the Survivor and Ironeyes are held in hand, the taker may call The Brothers. If called, and the taker wins, the Brothers are worth an extra 30 points. If the Taker does not call The Brothers, but wins the round with them in his Trick pile, they are worth fifteen points. If the Taker loses the round the points for the called Brothers go to the other players. If the Taker calls the Brothers, subsequently loses one, then wins the round, thirty points are deducted from his total. If The Survivor is being used as a bout it cannot be used as part of The Brothers.

The Imperial Pair: This hand is formed by The Lovers, The Ascendant Warrior, and The Last Emperor. The rules follow those of The Brothers, with the exception of a called hand being worth fifty points and an uncalled one being worth twenty-five. 

The Steward of Spears:

B53A1140-116A-485D-9ABF-8D6D5BDF4D87.thumb.jpeg.b149500fdcd0bd273f4929c3e866ceb0.jpeg

The Steward card is also known as the Terrisman, hence the use of Bronze, or the Scadrian letter T. The Copper symbol in the upper left corner is used here as the letter D for Dockson, the Steward of this card. This card represents Ambition and Drive.

Unlike some of the others, I do know exact how Master Dockson came to appear on this card, as I had the opportunity to ask Master Thaidakar about it. I can only hope that he is pleased with my research thus far.

It seems Lord Kelsier was unhappy that his best friend was absent from the deck. Lord Spook decided to surprise The Survivor by creating a Dockson card for their personal decks. Once the Lord Mistborn began utilizing the card, the practice was quickly adopted and this version of the card has since become standard across the North and South of Scadrial.

Out of Universe:

There was a bit of a delay creating this card as I didn’t have a purple oil pastel. I had to wait until I got new cray-pas, which I now have. The next three cards should come sooner, as they’re already drawn.

The person writing about these cards is a Ghostblood member researching various forms of divination in use across Cosmere cultures and whether or not there is a Spiritual component to any of them or if there is any manipulation of Fortune involved in the divining. The character is a Scadrian and she is part of a team researching this. Her name is Trésor, btw.

Skaa of Spears:

9E89285B-7F12-4601-95B7-10122AD1D655.thumb.jpeg.147c87196600d7ac7dd42f5258582983.jpeg

The Skaa of Spears features Mare, wife of the Survivor. Per Master Thaidakar, it’s a decent likeness. The symbol behind her is Duralumin, the Scadrian letter S. The Mah in the corner is for her name, Mare. This card symbolizes Curiosity, New Ideas and Thirst for Knowledge.

It seems likely that Mare came to appear in this deck due to her importance in the Survivor’s narrative. Beyond being his wife and the impetus for his ‘transformation’ from selfish thief to rebel leader and hero, little is known of the woman adorning this card. Those who do know have been unwilling to discuss the matter further with me.

Ace of Spears:71B11FCD-DB67-4F90-870D-52B4D5D620D1.thumb.jpeg.a99b31d79b8989d34425f388f2d6a2c5.jpeg

The Ace of Spears displays a single spear held in the hand of the Survivor. The card’s number (1) is in the lower right of the image. As is typical of the suit of Spears, the spikes are rendered as the symbol of the deck. This card represents Breakthroughs, New Ideas, Mental Clarity and Success.

Final Empire versions of this card were rather similar to the current version, with a few exceptions. The hand holding the spear did not belong to anyone in particular prior to the Survivor’s death. The change occurred within the next year. Following the Catacendre the lower half of the card was given a blue background, symbolizing the restored blue skies. Similarly, the vines hanging from the crown were changed to be green and marewill flowers added.

These changes are rather minor, however. Of all the Final Empire cards, the Ace of Spears is one of the few still in common use.

Two of Spears:

C2F28868-18DB-483E-85D1-6C20CA63BDE4.thumb.jpeg.dd84c1dfbc5ab82c4c02fa9358f1e64f.jpeg

This card features the Lord Mistborn. He holds two Spears crossed before him below the number 2. This card represents Difficult Decisions, Impasse, Indecision, and Confusion.

This card, like the Ace, is quite similar to its pre-Catacendre version. Indeed, the largest change is the replacement of a random female figure with the Lord Mistborn. The water was added later as well, likely to represent the canals he used to save Urteau. While some in the Basin have questioned the Lord Mistborn’s placement on this card, the decision was his and this card follows his personal design.

Three of Spears:

0282EFAE-0831-4A5B-809E-8B776E3CF4CF.thumb.jpeg.73bd48fe43cdf82ac095359c4ca59dfc.jpeg

The Three of Spears shows three spears thrust through Harmony’s symbol. The circle at the peak of the curve has been replaced by the number 3. This card symbolizes Heartbreak, Sorrow, Grief, Optimism and Forgiveness.

The Three of Spears is taken from the deck of the Lord Mistborn. The earliest known versions of this card show the Spears piercing the sigil of the Steel Ministry, likely due to Obligators officiating weddings. At some point the Ministry appears to have taken an offense to this practice, and later cards utilize a variety of symbols (zinc, brass and Atium appear to have been the most common variations). The symbol was not finalized until the modern day, when Harmony was given the association with union. (See the Harmony and Lovers cards.)

Four of Spears:

EF19E468-27A4-4971-9F85-C294D06524DC.thumb.jpeg.6e8b228d6e911612ed0414ff994fa37e.jpeg

The Four of Spears displays the Imperial pair laying on upon the field of Rebirth. Their hand are clasped and they lay peacefully together. Lady Vin holds a single spear and three others lay about them. A scattering of marewill flowers adorn the upper right corner and the number four is in the left. This card represents Rest, Meditation, Contemplation, and Recuperation.

This design first appeared shortly after the Catacendre, likely inspired by the then-recent events. Prior to this the card briefly held the Survivor. The Final Empire versions of this card typically portrayed a member of the Lord Ruler’s personal guard, though many held an ordinary soldier. The Imperial Pair have since become standard, though some Sliverist decks utilize the Lord Ruler and decks featuring the Survivor, while unusual, are not particularly difficult to find.

Posted (edited)

Five of Spears:

94C098EF-35D0-4DCA-B01A-24545352B860.thumb.jpeg.fc6d1a86808e7e7c5403501da9f22f75.jpeg

The Five of Spears shows the Survivor smiling from the misty Cognitive Realm, as he watches the Ascendant Warrior kneeling over his own corpse. In the background, lit torches illuminate the red skies. The Surviver holds 3 Spears in his arms. A fourth juts from his corpse and the fifth lies by his hand in a pool of blood. The number 5 is in the lower right corner of this card. This card represents Conflict, Competition, Victory at All Costs, Reconciliation, and Amends.

The Final Empire version of this card had the Lord Ruler smiling over his defeated foes. A variant of the card, which has the Lord Ruler standing over the Survivor’s body is used by many Sliverists.

The card began changing shortly after the Final Empire fell. Initially, many cards showed the Ascendant Warrior looking over her defeated foes. It is unclear when this card began displaying the Survivor in her stead, though some early variant show the two standing together, while others display the Imperial Pair.

The first known card to display the Survivor alone had him looking upon the Imperial Pair as they lay on the Field of Rebirth. This card is still utilized, though it has become increasingly uncommon over the centuries. The standard version of this card (pictured above) appears to have originated in the Lord Mistborn’s deck. As with many trends begun by the Lord Mistborn, the card image was quickly adopted and can now be found in most Basin decks.

Mistborn Tarot: Six of Spears

746B6676-B5AD-485D-B361-A7210941DC81.thumb.jpeg.5e37c54f91c56a41cbcc7d70a9b4a600.jpeg

The Six of Spears shows the last embrace of the Survivor and the Ascendant Warrior. They stand in the mists of Scadrial’s sub-astral, encircled by six Spears.The number six is above and to the right. This card represents Transition, Change, and Unfinished Business.

The first cards showing the Survivor and Ascendant Warrior embracing appeared shortly after the Survivor’s death. At that time the card showed the two in the Square of the Survivor, in the long since destroyed city of Luthadel. I have seen a handful of decks utilizing that version of the card, but they are quite rare.

This version of the card came from the deck of the Lord Mistborn, and has since become the most common variant of the card. Prior to the fall of the Final Empire, this card displayed a parent and child on a canal boat approaching a lock. Some Sliverist decks still utilize the original imagery.

Mistborn Tarot: Seven of Spears

54860B62-17FC-4220-8C44-9E0847FA5D01.thumb.jpeg.dfb62a49a06a6abd44133100984e54f4.jpeg

The Seven of Spears features the Survivor sneaking away from Kredik Shaw, carrying five Spears. Two more remain behind him. The card number, 7, is in the upper left corner. This card represents Deception, Getting Away with Something, and Keeping Secrets.

Interestingly, the Survivor’s place on this card predates his time in the Pits. Famed for his daring thievery, many Luthadel Skaa began using Lord Kelsier on this card. This practice became even more common after his capture.

It generally assumed that this was the first tarot card to be associated with the Survivor. Notably, the Church of the Survivor has been known to express displeasure over the Survivor’s presence on the “Thief’s Card.” In general, the Church seems intent on downplaying the less noble attributes of their nominal founder. This is not true of the Southern peoples, who take great pride in their Sovereign’s deceptive nature.

Mistborn Tarot: Eight of Spears

F4FBD44E-4097-43C2-8293-85B21F618ABA.thumb.jpeg.f46c656bb0f959cdb99244bbced798fe.jpeg

The Eight of Spears displays the Lord Mistborn bound in chains, traditionally held to be tin or pewter. Ruin hovers behind him, whispering lies. This card symbolizes Negative Thoughts, Self-imposed Restriction, Imprisonment, and being Open to New Perspectives.

This card’s origin dates to the Lord Mistborn’s deck. An identical card was found to be used in the Sovereign’s deck as well, and is often used as proof of close communication between the two.

Mistborn Tarot: Nine of Spears

05B86F5B-6599-4E1F-A45E-311B49DF2C18.thumb.jpeg.a0e86a93832c885541c80dc0ab2fea65.jpeg

The Nine of Spears features the Ascendent Warrior kneeling in the Mist as she considers her course. Eight Spears cross above her head and ninth stands before her. This card represents Anxiety, Nightmares, Secrets, and Inner Turmoil.

Unusually, this card takes its appearance from the Sovereign’s Deck. It’s first known appearance in the North occurred shortly after the initial contact between North and South. Prior to this the card was known to depict varying figures gazing into the Mists, ranging from the Survivor to the Lord Mistborn to Preservation. Many decks still include those cards, although this one has since become standard.

Mistborn Tarot: Ten of Spears

3CD07AEF-352A-4763-A450-1584FA928ECE.thumb.jpeg.94ecb9716c6e48cf2e836c595f2d2203.jpeg

The Ten of Spears displays the Survivor pierced by the spear that killed him. This card represents Crisis, Betrayal, Loss, Recovery, Regeneration and Resisting an Inevitable End.

This version of the card began appearing shortly after the Survivor’s death. It has since become standard across North and South Scadrial.

This is the last card in the Suit of Spears! 36 cards down, 52 to go!

43 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Mistborn Tarot: Ten of Spears

3CD07AEF-352A-4763-A450-1584FA928ECE.thumb.jpeg.94ecb9716c6e48cf2e836c595f2d2203.jpeg

The Ten of Spears displays the Survivor pierced by the spear that killed him. This card represents Crisis, Betrayal, Loss, Recovery, Regeneration and Resisting an Inevitable End.

This version of the card began appearing shortly after the Survivor’s death. It has since become standard across North and South Scadrial.

This is the last card in the Suit of Spears! 36 cards down, 52 to go!

I don’t want to sound off but I am going to make a small critique/question on this one:

If this is crisis and betrayal why is the Survivor smiling. 
The picture is great I’m just wondering why that fits with the theme

sorry if my tone here is a little off it’s 1 am here

28 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I don’t want to sound off but I am going to make a small critique/question on this one:

If this is crisis and betrayal why is the Survivor smiling. 
The picture is great I’m just wondering why that fits with the theme

sorry if my tone here is a little off it’s 1 am here

I didn’t create the meanings, which come from RL tarot.

As for why Kell is smiling? He won. Despite loss, betrayal, and multiple crises he won. And he’s smiling because he knows he’s going to survive this. He also died smiling, so there is that...

The RL version of this card shows a man stabbed with ten swords. The Scadrians saw the similarity between that card and the Survivor’s death and ended up using him on the card. The reversed meanings also suit him very well.

These are the RL traditional interpretations of the card: 

UPRIGHT: Painful endings, deep wounds, betrayal, loss, crisis

REVERSED: Recovery, regeneration, resisting an inevitable end

Mistborn Tarot: Suit of Spears

89F1A034-23CA-42F8-BD21-700DFE0EB18B.thumb.jpeg.bd2b70a16ba5301ee7001587b3c296be.jpeg

The Suit of Spears represents the Mists and is symbolic of the Cognitive Realm and the Mind. The suit is centered around the Intellect. It is led by the Survivor and this deck is often associated with him. As such, it is said to represent knowledge, action, power, and change.

The Suit of Spears symbolizes action, change, force, power, oppression, ambition, courage and conflict. It can also indicate anger, guilt, harsh judgement, a lack of compassion and verbal and mental abuse. The suit represents the Preservative and Ruinous nature of actions.

Those who are primarily Spears are often intelligent, thoughtful, rational, logical and excellent communicators. They can also be ruthless, domineering, confrontational and rigid.

The Suit of Spears is said to represent Hemalurgy.

It has been noted by some readers that this Suit does not feature Harmony in any form. This is the only suit not to include the Mistborn of the other suits in its imagery.

On Earth this suit would be known Swords and in a standard deck would correspond to Spades.

Posted (edited)

Mistborn of Metals:

BDFFDB13-3A66-4F0D-89C0-9D3A3ACA447B.thumb.jpeg.bbf8339af6ae6d200f733c5e1e3ddbd2.jpeg

The Mistborn of Metals features the Ascendant Warrior. In her right hand she holds a spike and in the left is her obsidian dagger.

The spike is an inheritance from the Final Empire versions of the deck and gives this suit its second name: Spikes. Interestingly, tradition holds that this suit represents allomancy. Some variations of the deck utilize metal vials instead of spikes.

The Mistborn of Metals symbolizes Vision, Honour, and Natural-born Leadership. Reversed it represents Impulsiveness, Haste, and Ruthlessness. Per Master Thaidakar several attributes associated with this card are not true of Lady Vin, but were attributed to her by the early Survivorists.

The oldest known version of this card is set in a frame in Master Thaidakar’s office. I have no idea where he found it, as I’m fairly certain he was non-corporeal when it was created.