Know your Roshar!

KSub

When we think of Roshar the nations of Alethkar, Jah Keved and Azir spring to mind but who can forget the majesty of Tu Fallia, Steen and Prash. The tapestry of Roshar is made up of 26 nations...

Wait that can't be right? 26?!

That's right. You probably didn't even know that I made up those lesser known nations. Actually, I only made up one but you probably don't know which one.

My point is there is so little we see of the rest of Roshar. So, rather than talk about radiants, voidbringers and alethi, let's take the road less traveled and discuss some of the lesser known places and things of Roshar.

Map of Roshar

Spoiler

800px-OB_Roshar.jpg.fe8a29ad6bdbfce2d13b1fe142528741.jpg

The 17th shards Interactive map

https://roshar.17thshard.com/#/en-US

I treasure every Interlude where we get to see different parts of Roshar.  I will say that

1)  I would like my next vacation to be in the Reshi Isles.

2)  I really hope we get to see more of Iri and Aimia.  The mysteries are tantalizing.

3)  Book 5 cannot come soon enough; I'm really looking forward to "Shinovar on 5 Skymarks a Day" by Szeth and Kaladin, commentary by Nightblood and Syl.

I remain forever curious about Shinovar.

Liafor sticks out in my mind as "strategically unimportant country that we have heard a lot about" because it's the center of fashion (the Rosharan equivalent of Paris fashion week...?). And Kaza the soulcaster is from Liafor too. She was a princess, because they wanted to keep the soulcasters within the royal family, tho of course with her expedition to Aimia, Liafor now has one less soulcaster than before.

Also, despite Shallan being from there, I feel like we don't know much about Jah Keved.

I hadn't paid too much attention to the Roshar maps after WoK when they didn't mean much to me. But, outside of the novellas and interludes we are almost exclusively on the eastern half of the continent.  I mean Alethkar, Jah Keved, Herdaz, Thalenah and the unclaimed hills make up all of the eastern half aside from the frostlands which are a sparsely populated unclaimed territory.

Here's a few things, not secrets, but interesting connections from the other side of the continent. Tashikk, to the south of Azir, has a religion that believes in Nun Raylisi, a representation of Odium, whom they must wear a religious wrap to hide from. Nun Raylisi is opposed by Tashi, who the country is named after and is likely Ishar. Then to the north of Azir is the Purelake. There the people believe in Nu Ralik, their God who bestows suffering and whose name they are not aloud to speak, sounds a lot like Nun Raylisi. Then there is his brother Vun Makak, who we know little more about than he likes lies.