Jasnah and Wit

The Night Watcher

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

I don't ship it...

Methinks it's just a relationship of convenience and mutual usefulness, nothing wrong with that but eh

I honestly felt this way when I was reading it as well. There might be some feelings involved now, but my interpretation of that chapter was that they both came to this relationship out of pragmatism.I don't think it's going to work out for them long-term, nor do I think it's intended to.

Besides that, I tend to agree with the rest of the critics here, the scene could have been executed better, but it's probably an area where Brandon is learning and experimenting still. 

1 minute ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I honestly felt this way when I was reading it as well. There might be some feelings involved now, but my interpretation of that chapter was that they both came to this relationship out of pragmatism.I don't think it's going to work out for them long-term, nor do I think it's intended to.

Besides that, I tend to agree with the rest of the critics here, the scene could have been executed better, but it's probably an area where Brandon is learning and experimenting still. 

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to post so people don't see Chaos' face on the thread. Nobody will click on it if his face is there.

Also yeah, Hoid and Jasnah will never work. Hoid is manipulative and clearly has a an agenda which will clash with Jasnah's, and while mutual respect may be nice in a relationship, you need a little bit more for it to be successful, which i haven't really got.

16 hours ago, Honorless said:

I don't ship it...

Methinks it's just a relationship of convenience and mutual usefulness, nothing wrong with that but eh

That doesn't seems to fit with the fact the relation ship starting surprised both of them.

On 19/01/2021 at 9:32 PM, Sara Stormblessed said:

I can't wait for us to finally get to Jasnah's book, so we can figure out what is going on behind the mask she wears, even for the readers in her PoV chapters.

It's also possible her body just forget to tell her when she has emotions.

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

That doesn't seems to fit with the fact the relation ship starting surprised both of them.

Why not? They are both intelligent people who like the company of other intelligent people, they matched wits, surprisingly got along and voila, that does not go contrary to the relationship being born out of more practical matters. They seem to like each other just fine, they aren't fully trusting but that's fine, no? That kind of thing develops over time. I don't think they're wringing each other out to get what they want, just that shared circumstances brought them together, said circumstances could easily end things between them too and badly so, they're not completely on the same side, and they'd both put their purposes over any chance at romance.

On 18.1.2021 at 6:24 AM, Sara Stormblessed said:

I am conflicted about the Wit/Jasnah relationship. First, Jasnah's implication that they are sexually active really combs my hair in the wrong direction.

You are looking at this like a romantic affair. It isn't. A 17th century royal marriage would come closer.

Wit is several millennia her senior, and he is definitely not being transparent with her about who he is and what his goals/motives are.

Neither is she. Of course she is ready to use him and use him up, if need be. We are talking about a woman ready to eliminate family members, kill demigods and use genocide.

I feel uncomfortable with a man like that being in a sexual relationship with a young,

Jasnah is a spinster. She would tell you so - in private. Unless you are talking about in comparison to Hoid. Yet that is almost meaningless. In fact whether Hoid classifies as human still is dubious. You could doubt that even in Jasnah's case. She is an organism in symbiosis with something very unhuman, if you wish to look at it in extremely technical terms.

powerful, asexual woman. Additionally, although I understand that Jasnah doesn't follow a religion, she does tend to follow the customs of Vorinism and the prude Alethi culture, at least in appearance. It seems odd to me that she would take this relationship to that level, disregarding her sexuality and cultural norms. 

On top of this, I think it undermines Jasnah's powerful, independent woman persona for her to be taken in by a man who is not only untrustworthy but whose own power and intelligence makes hers appear pale in comparison.

Real strength is the ability to deal with a situation of disadvantage and overcome it.

On 19.1.2021 at 8:47 PM, Elegy said:

Which implies that she "cares" about Wit, on some deeper level, to some degree. That should go beyond "he's so old and he knows so many secrets". Which is essentially all she has to say (/think) about him.

Understanding and valuation. He is the only man on Roshar (and person save for Cultivation) who has a chance to truly get her. The need to be valued and understood is a deeply human trait. Jasnah is an extremely lonely woman.

On 19.1.2021 at 9:32 PM, Sara Stormblessed said:

Jasnah isn't an emotionally expressive character. From the WoK until now, keeping her emotions close to the chest has been a consistent theme for her. I think this is one of the reasons, I dislike her; I cannot understand what she wants or how she feels.

• understanding the world
  • power - the hard kind, the ability to make heads roll and eyes burn
  • guarding what is hers
On 19.1.2021 at 9:32 PM, Sara Stormblessed said:

In RoW, we get tiny hints that she is severely traumatized by being murdered in WoK, but even in her PoV moments, we just get facts about what she is doing in the present, not deep insight into her inner conflicts. I honestly can't think of a single time when we have truly seen into Jasnah's mind; the closest we got was probably her PoV on Gavilar's death. 

I suspect that what determines Jasnah is not inner conflict, but fear.

17 hours ago, Honorless said:

I don't ship it...

I'd say you are correct but for the "just", if you mean it in the sense of "only". We cannot even imagine how lonely Hoid is.

Either would sacrifice the other if they absolutely deemed it necessary. But it would break their heart.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, CatgirlTheCrazy said:

I think I like the idea of Jasnah and Wit on paper, but the execution left something to be desired. I've always had a weakness for doomed love stories, and I think this one is super doomed. Wit flat out told us he'd let Roshar burn to get want he needs if he has to, and there's no way Jasnah would let that stand. Two lovers, driven apart by their commitment to incompatible goals and principles? That's my jam. Plus they've got the whole "you are the only one who can keep up with me, therefore I respect you above others" thing going on, which I like.

At the same time, Chapter 99 never made me feel like they were actually in love. Good friends and intellectual partners, yes, but not in love. Some of that is because romance is not Brandon's strongest suit. He's also writing his first overtly asexual romance, which just adds a layer of complication.

Oh, wow, yeah! You got my feelings down pat. When Jasnah said she's excited to see where their relationship will go, I snorted and went "Yep, that's Jasnah." It's like she's not in it for the romance but for the experience of romance, which is quite funny. Wit seems more complicated. Maybe he enjoys clinging to his humanity? Not sure. Anyway, I think it has the potential to become love, if Wit doesn't destroy the planet beforehand.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:45 AM, Oltux72 said:

You are looking at this like a romantic affair. It isn't. A 17th century royal marriage would come closer.

Neither is she. Of course she is ready to use him and use him up, if need be. We are talking about a woman ready to eliminate family members, kill demigods and use genocide.

Jasnah is a spinster. She would tell you so - in private. Unless you are talking about in comparison to Hoid. Yet that is almost meaningless. In fact whether Hoid classifies as human still is dubious. You could doubt that even in Jasnah's case. She is an organism in symbiosis with something very unhuman, if you wish to look at it in extremely technical terms.

Real strength is the ability to deal with a situation of disadvantage and overcome it.

Understanding and valuation. He is the only man on Roshar (and person save for Cultivation) who has a chance to truly get her. The need to be valued and understood is a deeply human trait. Jasnah is an extremely lonely woman.

• understanding the world
  • power - the hard kind, the ability to make heads roll and eyes burn
  • guarding what is hers

I suspect that what determines Jasnah is not inner conflict, but fear.

I'd say you are correct but for the "just", if you mean it in the sense of "only". We cannot even imagine how lonely Hoid is.

Either would sacrifice the other if they absolutely deemed it necessary. But it would break their heart.

YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE BRILLIANT. It's perfect. I never even thought about Jasnah's side of things, but you're absolutely right. She would use Wit for her gain. Honestly, I would not be surprised if that happens in future books. It's a Brandon-worthy tragedy, methinks.

42 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE BRILLIANT.

No. I have to decline that honor. I merely don't cloud my reasoning with anachronistic notions.  Roshar is a preindustrial planet and Alethkar a feudal country.

They will not and cannot allow their people what we would deem a free personal life. Laral went with Roshone and was happy with that. The idea that everybody should have romantic relations independent of any considerations other than free personal preference is literally foreign to them.
Jasnah specificallyis extremely intelligent and liberal. But she is not a fool and she is still Alethi. She has been raised as an aristocrat, who knew that she might become a regent. It was always clear to her that the realm and the dynasty had to come before her personal life. She will use it and if need be - how shall I put it - her bed in the service of them if the need is clear. The idea that mixing intimacy and practical gains is abhorrent is a particular western notion.

42 minutes ago, The Night Watcher said:

It's perfect. I never even thought about Jasnah's side of things, but you're absolutely right. She would use Wit for her gain. Honestly, I would not be surprised if that happens in future books. It's a Brandon-worthy tragedy, methinks.

I suspect it to happen as soon as Jasnah learns that Taravangian now holds Odium and will explore the option of peace negotiations.