Questions on Ishar

The Night Watcher

From my reading, and my understanding of the "Brandon formula," I suspect that the Heralds will be a part of the war effort in later books. The mentions of a Herald's strength, Taln's specifically, coupled with his madness, Ash's belief that Ishar can help, and Ishar's message to Dalinar, seems like ample foreshadow for a future story arc. A few questions on the interaction Dalinar and Ishar had: 

I'm blanking on exactly how the Herald's hold onto their power. Ishar isn't bonded, but he has the powers of a Bondsmith. Is that part of the Heraldic capabilities? 

Ishar seemed to speak to Dalinar from an "other place," even while raving. Thoughts on this? Did he trap his mind away to protect it from insanity?  

What is Ishar doing in Tukar?

What are the implications of a Bondsmith unchained? 

Pretty sure the Heralds get their abilities from the Honorblades. The 'unchained' part means they don't have a spren that they have to run things past, and can therefore do things unilaterally without being called out on the implications or have to abide by oaths. Considering that Ishar can literally go 'I'm the Radiant now', that's a pretty OP ability for someone with no checks on the power.

Considering he's the patron of the 'pious' order of Radiants, it makes sense that an insane version of him would set himself up as a god-priest. As for why Tukar specifically, I'm not too sure, except perhaps trying to become that kind of religious leader in a Vorin society which already had the church try to take over might not go so well.

2 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

I'm blanking on exactly how the Herald's hold onto their power. Ishar isn't bonded, but he has the powers of a Bondsmith. Is that part of the Heraldic capabilities? 

Ishar seemed to speak to Dalinar from an "other place," even while raving. Thoughts on this? Did he trap his mind away to protect it from insanity?  

What is Ishar doing in Tukar?

What are the implications of a Bondsmith unchained? 

Heralds get their powers from their honorblades

Ishar has gone mad. That amount of time alive causes his memory and mind to collapse. When he touched the Spiritual Realm it helped heal him and give him clarity, similar to how Investiture is how Hoid retains his memories and sanity.

Ishar is in Tukar because he has gone mad. He believes he is Adonalsium and that he rightfully should be the ruler of everything. Conveniently, the people in Tukar worship the Heralds as gods so he used that faith to elevate himself to become their leader.

A Bondsmith unchained can do almost anything. Shards can bind other Shards in agreements, but both are under strict confinement’s and are unable to break their word. An unchained Bondsmith could break their word, or they could end the agreement, or they could transfer the agreement. Imagine if Dalinar has said “Odium, you can choose anyone to fight this toddler, if you win then you are free”. Then, once Odium agreed, Dalinar switched the bond so that Odium was instead fighting Dalinar himself. This is just one small example of what could be done. An unchained Bondsmith has the power of a Shard, but without all the rules and stipulations.

In RoW 111, the Stormfather says that he never liked Ishar.  That Ishar was ambitious even before madness took him. Stormfather says 'He cannot bear sole blame for the destruction of Ashyn, humankind's first home, but he WAS the one Odium first tricked into experimenting with the Surges.'

I rather take that to mean Ishar had power before becoming a Herald and that it is possible he continued to have power even without the sword.  Perhaps while Honor was alive he was bound and unable to use his powers without the sword at hand, but I'm not entirely sure he needs it now that Honor is gone.  Certainly his knowledge extends beyond what he was capable of with the sword in hand while Honor is still alive.  That would be an interesting question to ask Brandon at some point, if he hasn't already been asked it.

I don't know that a Bondsmith who has given his word by Intent would be able to break his or her word.  I suppose we might find out if and when Odivangian and Dalinar meet in a way that Dalinar recognizes him.  I just don't know that Dalinar can break his word on the contest without severe consequence.