WandaVision

It's so cool! The whole thing is just so weird. Why are they there? Why do they think everything is normal? It's so good so far! 

Also, Episode 2

Spoiler

Wanda was shocked to see the color, which means Wanda and vision are actually seeing things in black and white at the beginning :ph34r:

ALSO, When Wanda said "no." ?!?!?!?!?!?!? AHHHHHHHHHH what is happeningggggggg hereeeee

Spoiler

Also didn't vision die? Is this whole thing just like a subconscious coping mechanism for Wanda? 

And I love how out of context this whole thing is. Marvel just threw this out there. For me at least, I didn't here anything about this show until like a week ago. The only thing I know about the show is what the trailer said. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, BreezeCauthon said:

Any opinions on how this would 1) fare as family viewing and 2) whether a 9-year-old could watch it?

Honestly it depends on how spook-tolerant your kid is. I watched it with my family, and everyone fared fairly well. In terms of other stuff, if you'd watch a Marvel movie as a family, I think it would be fine.

i have no doubt that Wanda is making it all up and controlling everything

in the first episode, there was a few time she or someone else "broke character" 

Spoiler

When Wanda is talking to Vision at home(i dont remember any more details) she says "this is our home now" not like she was trying to convince Vision of that, but herself

And the creepy part, at dinner when the boss asks "why are you here?" 

he broke character and wasn't asking them where they moved from previously in her make-believe world. He was asking Wanda why she is there. Why she created that whole reality. And right when he starts to confront her about that... he starts to choke... because Wanda made him choke, either consciously or subconsciously because she didnt want to face the reality of "why she is there"(vision is dead and she couldnt cope with that)

and the wife switched from telling the husband to "stop it" when he was choking to practically begging Wanda to "stop it" because only she can. This is her world.

I love the creepy tone to it!!

second episode

Spoiler

All i gotta say for proof of Wanda controlling things is "no":lol:

Edited by Eternal Khol

We'll see how it goes. So long as it doesn't turn into "Remember old television programs" the show, it should be fine. 

Spoiler

I suspect AIM is involved as well. Like, they are trying to use Wanda to access other parallel universes for diabolical reasons. 

I also suspect Wanda is cooperating because she is trying to find/create a world where she can be happy with Vision.

SWORD, on the other hand, is trying to track Wanda down. 

6 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

So far so good! I like the “commercials” in the middle, they’re funny. Did anyone else notice the Hydra symbol on the watch in the second one?

Yep, I’ve been loving all of the little symbols hidden everywhere!

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Would it be worth actively trying to search out a way to watch?  I have Disney Plus, but I don't have the time/ability because some people around here don't get to watch it.

If it would be very difficult for you to watch, I’d probably wait until a few more episodes have come out because this is the sort of show that needs a good payoff to be worth it, which won’t come for at least a few more episodes, and for ease of access because they are pretty short and can be binge watched. 

2 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

If it would be very difficult for you to watch, I’d probably wait until a few more episodes have come out because this is the sort of show that needs a good payoff to be worth it, which won’t come for at least a few more episodes, and for ease of access because they are pretty short and can be binge watched. 

Gotcha.  That sounds pretty reasonable.  What with everything going on in the world, no one leaves the house anymore, so it's hard to find time to watch stuff.

And I don't know how to use the TV remote.

Watched it Friday morning. I really enjoyed it! The show is off to a very solid start, and I can't wait to see more of both the sitcom silliness and the creepy mystery. 

On 1/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Eternal Khol said:

i have no doubt that Wanda is making it all up and controlling everything

in the first episode, there was a few time she or someone else "broke character" 

Reveal hidden contents

When Wanda is talking to Vision at home(i dont remember any more details) she says "this is our home now" not like she was trying to convince Vision of that, but herself

And the creepy part, at dinner when the boss asks "why are you here?" 

he broke character and wasn't asking them where they moved from previously in her make-believe world. He was asking Wanda why she is there. Why she created that whole reality. And right when he starts to confront her about that... he starts to choke... because Wanda made him choke, either consciously or subconsciously because she didnt want to face the reality of "why she is there"(vision is dead and she couldnt cope with that)

and the wife switched from telling the husband to "stop it" when he was choking to practically begging Wanda to "stop it" because only she can. This is her world.

I love the creepy tone to it!!

second episode

Reveal hidden contents

All i gotta say for proof of Wanda controlling things is "no":lol:

Don't forget in the second episode we have 

Spoiler

two flashes of color in the red helicopter and the blood, probably hinting at the fact that those things are "real" compared to the black and white "fake" world. And then Wanda brings color to everything so she doesn't have to deal with such matters. 

Oh! We can't forget "For the Children." 

Also, I think it's sort of a "lotus-eater" machine. Someone trapped Wanda in whatever world she's in for some reason, but they're giving her everything she could want so she doesn't get suspicious or break out. Unfortunately, I think Wanda may have hijacked the controls...

Or maybe in a multi-leveled mind-trick, someone realized Wanda would hijack the controls and realized they needed someone with powers like her, but that they can control from birth in a way, so they have the whole "for the children" message, giving Wanda the idea to have children. 

I got to watch the first three episodes!  Two things: One, I'm a wimp.  I had to turn the lights on at the end of 

Spoiler

Episode Three.  It wasn't even a creepy scene.

Two, it's better than I was expecting!  I'm not particularly a fan of sitcoms, so I was a little skeptical as to how much I would enjoy it.  It's the right mix of comedy and seriousness.

I have a feeling I'm looking for things that aren't there, since we know that something's up, but don't have all the clues yet.  Kinda maybe spoilers below for episode three?

Spoiler

Do we know what the necklace Gwendoline wore was from?  I heard a 'sword organization' but I thought it looked like a dagger.

Here was my instantly debunked theory for episodes one and two:

Spoiler

The whole thing is taking place in the Noir universe, I.E. Earth 90214 (don't worry, I looked up that number; I don't know it off the top of my head). I thought this was the case because... well, everything was black and white. That's just because they were going through the decades, though. Episode 1 was the 50s (you can tell because Stark Technologies are limited to toasters), Episode 2 was the 60s (the hairdos were a dead giveaway), and Episode 3 was the 70s (you can tell because 90% of Wanda and Vision's house is yellow. That's what people did in the 70s. Yellow).

15 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Here was my instantly debunked theory for episodes one and two:

Hide contents

The whole thing is taking place in the Noir universe, I.E. Earth 90214 (don't worry, I looked up that number; I don't know it off the top of my head). I thought this was the case because... well, everything was black and white. That's just because they were going through the decades, though. Episode 1 was the 50s (you can tell because Stark Technologies are limited to toasters), Episode 2 was the 60s (the hairdos were a dead giveaway), and Episode 3 was the 70s (you can tell because 90% of Wanda and Vision's house is yellow. That's what people did in the 70s. Yellow).

So next is the 80s, right?

@Spren of Kindness 

Spoiler

It's the same symbol that was on the colored toy helicopter in episode 2. In the comics, it's the symbol of the organization S.W.O.R.D. which is a branch of S.H.I.E.L.D. to deal with threats from out of this world (like aliens). What their function will be in the MCU, I don't know. The MCU looks to the comics more for inspiration than what they should do. 

For example, I usually associate uniforms that look like beekeepers with A.I.M. But the beekeeper had the S.W.O.R.D. logo on its back. 

I do hope the pacing continues to pick up. The self indulgence in recreating old sitcoms is somewhat irksome to me. For me, the destination will determine if the journey was worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So next is the 80s, right?

That it is, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Ooklara said:

@Spren of Kindness 

Reveal hidden contents

It's the same symbol that was on the colored toy helicopter in episode 2. In the comics, it's the symbol of the organization S.W.O.R.D. which is a branch of S.H.I.E.L.D. to deal with threats from out of this world (like aliens). What their function will be in the MCU, I don't know. The MCU looks to the comics more for inspiration than what they should do. 

For example, I usually associate uniforms that look like beekeepers with A.I.M. But the beekeeper had the S.W.O.R.D. logo on its back. 

I do hope the pacing continues to pick up. The self indulgence in recreating old sitcoms is somewhat irksome to me. For me, the destination will determine if the journey was worth it. 

Wowza, this person is so much smarter than I am.

I personally like the whole sitcom thing. Partially, of course, because they're--y'know--old sitcoms, but also because it contrast the actual plot-related stuff really heavily, and it really adds to the mood that, hey, stuff is kinda whack.

Also... just a couple more theories...

Spoiler

Is it possible that the secret agents at the end of the Episode 3 are from S.W.O.R.D? Or... maybe not just possible. Probably. They're probably from that.

Didn't S.H.I.E.L.D. kinda go down in Winter Soldier, though? I mean, yeah, not entirely, but mostly? Could it be possible that this series is taking place in pre-modern era? COULD PEGGY STILL BE AROUND?

6 minutes ago, Ooklara said:

@Spren of Kindness 

Reveal hidden contents

I don't have a problem with the pacing so far, because I'm really chill with slow starts.  But hopefully it'll start picking up soon.

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

That it is, I guess.

Wowza, this person is so much smarter than I am.

I personally like the whole sitcom thing. Partially, of course, because they're--y'know--old sitcoms, but also because it contrast the actual plot-related stuff really heavily, and it really adds to the mood that, hey, stuff is kinda whack.

Also... just a couple more theories...

Hide contents

Is it possible that the secret agents at the end of the Episode 3 are from S.W.O.R.D? Or... maybe not just possible. Probably. They're probably from that.

Didn't S.H.I.E.L.D. kinda go down in Winter Soldier, though? I mean, yeah, not entirely, but mostly? Could it be possible that this series is taking place in pre-modern era? COULD PEGGY STILL BE AROUND?

Spoiler

To be fair, I was pretty tired by the time I got to the end of episode three, and I for some reason got freaked out and turned the lights on, so reflection, but to me it looked like that wasn't S.W.O.R.D.  Not with the way they just showed up and surrounded Gwendoline.

2 hours ago, The Windrunner Supreme said:

For episode 3:

Reveal hidden contents

The person who asked about Wanda's brother and Ultron may be Lieutenant Trouble from Captain Marvel? Maybe? Do we know her actual name?

Spoiler

It's Monica Rambeau. She was the little girl in the Captain Marvel movie that changed Brie Larson's suit to different colors. 

In the comics, she had various identities (including Captain Marvel) and light controlling powers. Not sure if they will be going down that path in the MCU.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, Ooklara said:
  Hide contents

It's Monica Rambeau. She was the little girl in the Captain Marvel movie that changed Brie Larson's suit to different colors. 

In the comics, she had various identities (including Captain Marvel) and light controlling powers. Not sure if they will be going down that path in the MCU.

Hmm. Thats intresting. I've never read the comics. Are they any good?

2 hours ago, The Windrunner Supreme said:

Hmm. Thats intresting. I've never read the comics. Are they any good?

They vary in quality. I liked the recentish Ultimates comics (not to be confused with comics from the Ultimate universe).

But keep in mind, I also thought Secret Empire was great. 

Now, as far as all the comics people are talking about in terms of WandaVision? IMO, they are all garbage. Many in the comics community hated House of M until very recently, now that they think WandaVision might take inspiration from it to introduce the X-men in the MCU.

Which would also be interesting because House of M kinda severely limited the role of X-men in the comics to this day. 

The Ms Marvel comics have been delightful. You should get in on those before her show comes out! 

I like Moon Knight, buuuut...a lot of his comics are garbage. His "original" run (once he got his own comic) are mostly enjoyable. Jeff Lemaire's run was fantastic. 

18 hours ago, Ooklara said:

They vary in quality. I liked the recentish Ultimates comics (not to be confused with comics from the Ultimate universe).

But keep in mind, I also thought Secret Empire was great. 

Now, as far as all the comics people are talking about in terms of WandaVision? IMO, they are all garbage. Many in the comics community hated House of M until very recently, now that they think WandaVision might take inspiration from it to introduce the X-men in the MCU.

Which would also be interesting because House of M kinda severely limited the role of X-men in the comics to this day. 

The Ms Marvel comics have been delightful. You should get in on those before her show comes out! 

I like Moon Knight, buuuut...a lot of his comics are garbage. His "original" run (once he got his own comic) are mostly enjoyable. Jeff Lemaire's run was fantastic. 

Thanks. I may look into some of those

So. Episode 4. 

This episode answers a fair deal of questions we have, but leaves us with even more. The meta nature of the show is acknowledged by everyone now, and used to wonderous effect. 

It also gives us the best line from the show yet.

Spoiler

"I know it's been a crazy few years on this planet, but he's dead, right?"

Overall, this may be my favorite episode so far, and I can't wait to see how worlds collide in this. 

However, due to this episode, I'm not sure that the series will end on a comedic note...

As a side note, I do have some qualms about the MCU that were screamed loud and clear in this episode: 

Spoiler

SHIELD is effectively no more, replaced by SWORD. In terms of the big picture, this doesn't bother me at all. However, I finished up Agents of SHIELD late last year, and while the finale did have its overall cringe moments (as did the whole show), it made me wonder where the show would fit in the MCU. It turns out (to no one's surprise), it really doesn't fit. And watching this episode and seeing the role SWORD plays really made that clear. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't upset by this situation, but it makes sense as well, both in-universe and outside of it. SHIELD was effectively destroyed in Winter Soldier, and now that threats from space have made themselves loud and clear multiple times on Earth - and we have enough superheroes here to not worry as much - it's time to start looking...Skyward. So why not bring in SHIELD's sister company? 

I just...I wish the ending for AoS didn't feel so weird to me. But that's life. Finales are hard to do - good finales even harder. And good finales that tangentially tie into a larger cinematic universe? I was basically asking for the impossible. Although, I'm certain they could repurpose some of the characters in AoS as SWORD agents, given the finale for two of them...

21 hours ago, The Windrunner Supreme said:

Thanks. I may look into some of those

The X-Men comics immediately following House of M were pretty dark (as in, blowing up school buses dark), but things...reach a status quo of so for a time. 

If you're looking for a place to start reading comics, I'd say anywhere that interests you is fine. You can always find out what came before at a different time. My personal main starting places were the Ultimate Spider-Man run (which serves as the basis for the Spider-Man Homecoming version of Peter Parker in a lot of ways) and the first Young Avengers run. I've heard great things about the later runs, but I like what I feel nostalgic about better. These are both pretty YA in terms of content, but they're easy to follow and don't require much attention...although finding them right now may be hard...hmm...

I've heard good things about Tom King's Vision run though, so maybe that's worth checking out?

Edit: As an aside, Wandavision is really wrecking my MCU viewing order, and I both love and hate that.

Edited by Use the Falchion