Durrin

Light guns

9 posts in this topic

So if a Scandrian Engineer got their hands on some Anti-stormlight and assuming they had the knowledge of what it did, do you think it would be possible for them to make a gun utilizing its power?

If so how would you think this would affect the battle between Scandria and Roshar?

5 minutes ago, Durrin said:

So if a Scandrian Engineer got their hands on some Anti-stormlight and assuming they had the knowledge of what it did, do you think it would be possible for them to make a gun utilizing its power?

If so how would you think this would affect the battle between Scandria and Roshar?

That depends on how they would plan on firing it. If they could fire spheres of anti-stormlight, would that be enough, or would they also need Raysium? I think the future conflict would require more developments on both sides before we could draw any conclusions.

6 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

That depends on how they would plan on firing it. If they could fire spheres of anti-stormlight, would that be enough, or would they also need Raysium? I think the future conflict would require more developments on both sides before we could draw any conclusions.

Well I was originally thinking of the use of Raysium  as it would probably be more effective but now that I think about it early gun development used little metal spheres as ammo not unlike the spheres holding the gemstones. 

6 minutes ago, Durrin said:

Well I was originally thinking of the use of Raysium  as it would probably be more effective but now that I think about it early gun development used little metal spheres as ammo not unlike the spheres holding the gemstones. 

So the question becomes if contact with a sphere of anti-stormlight, or the anti-stormlight leaking from a broken sphere, is enough to wound a Radiant or their spren. It is a cool mental image though - firing little gemstones in glass balls at the enemy, like silver bullets only for magic knights rather than werewolves.

4 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

So the question becomes if contact with a sphere of anti-stormlight, or the anti-stormlight leaking from a broken sphere

I don't think simply touching the sphere would be enough as Raboniel was able to touch the sphere of anti-voidlight with out being actually harmed but Anti-stormlight leaking could be a totally different story. Although Raboniel was shocked when she touched it so that initial shock might be something that someone could use against radiants and such.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:30 PM, Durrin said:

I don't think simply touching the sphere would be enough as Raboniel was able to touch the sphere of anti-voidlight with out being actually harmed but Anti-stormlight leaking could be a totally different story. Although Raboniel was shocked when she touched it so that initial shock might be something that someone could use against radiants and such.

It definitely seems more effort is required to make it a weapon. Though it does raise interesting questions.

But what about using Light with its Anti counterpart as the combustion. You would have to have it a very small scale but with what we saw I think the results would be quite catastrophic.

Edited by Anarchy

I feel like if you had tiny gems filled with anti-stormlight and they managed to get inside the Radiant via "bullet" penetration, that it would react accordingly to any normal stormlight they were holding... Maybe.

I could see using a Light/Anti-Light mechanism to propel a projectile (replacing black powder) or used in a warhead-like capacity where they are detonated on impact.  What I wonder though is if the explosions we'd seen in this interaction isn't happening because the pressure of the gemstone?  When we have seen people attacked with these weapons, it doesn't seem to cause a large explosion, so much as it burns away the attacked entity.  Is that the gemstone providing pressure, or is there something else you can expect to happen when Identity comes into play (since presumably Spren and Fused have Identity)?