Teft

Kutica_Junior

I do not know how you felt when you have read Teft's last chapter, but I was not emotionally stable for 2 days and so I want to give my farewell to Teft by opening a topic just for him.
Feel free to post any of your opinions about him.

Since I opened this topic I will go first:
I love how Kaldain and Teft are picturing their relationship as one of sergeant and officer, while I see it as the relationship between two siblings. Teft is an older brother who is idolizing his younger brother. Kaladin is, of course, the younger brother who finds support for everything in his big bro. They will do everything for one another. One last thing is that I adore Teft's arc.  At first, he was comping with his trauma whit firemoss, but in the end, he found relief in his friends which led him to love himself.

Edited by Kutica_Junior

Yeah same, but his mental state at the end made me feel a sense of fulfilment and closure, that helped a lot.

Then again, I got gut-punched for the fourth book in a row (eheheh!) with the Tien feels, and then Eshonai at the end too. I think the book addressed grief beautifully.

Not ashamed to admit how many places my copies of the books are water-damaged from my tears dripping onto the pages.  It's a lot of places.

It's both amazing and heartbreaking how Brandon creates characters like Teft, builds up our relationship with them, gives us viewpoint chapters, makes their backstories, struggles and triumphs real to us... then kills them.  Kind of like real life does.  Dammit.

*sniff*  so many feels

Yes. 100% bawled during that scene. My family was looking at me like I was crazy. I had to leave the room.

I know that Brandon's treatment of Kaladin's depression in RoW has gotten a lot of praise for being really true to life. And I definitely agree that it's well done.

But for me, Teft's form of depression has always been the one that hits closest to home. While I thankfully haven't dealt as much with the substance abuse side of it, Teft's self-loathing and feelings of being worthless are exactly how I've experienced depression when at its worst. I cried some when he started to overcome his self-hatred in Oathbringer. But Storms, I straight up ugly cried through his final chapters in RoW.

Rest in peace, Radiant Teft.

I will admit I did not tear up when he died. My reaction was more, "Oh, you're going to kill him for real? Wow." and then the shock carried through as I read that Teft was gone and I literally said farewell Teft at the end of the chapter.

Also @Honorless I cried for Eshoni's part, too. That was a beautiful moment. Very fitting.

Ah, Teft. I miss you already. If I had to point at a favorite character arc, I think I'd have to go with his - watching him finally find love and forgiveness for himself was beautiful. (Although it's possible that that opinion is just because his is the only one that's really felt done, even among the other characters that died). His relationship with Phendorana, too, was truly heartwarming. In the midst of all of Kaladin's struggles I really needed to see a character that actually managed to find some peace - Teft was a breath of fresh air in a stuffy room.

I accidentally saw spoilers and already knew he was going to die before I read it... That didn't stop me from crying, though. It was so heartbreaking seeing him leave, especially since he's a character I've cared about for years, but I love that we got to see him accept himself. His character arc is written beautifully, but I'm still going to miss him a lot. 

Edited by Flying

I just finished RoW a couple days ago and I'm still so mad-sad about Teft. Brandon, why would you do this??? It hurts so much!!! I loved him and was hoping for so much more of him in upcoming books. His relationship with Kal (and everyone else too) was so fun and felt unique in a way that's hard to explain. 

I understand how his death works in terms of character development for Kal......but I hate that that's how his death feels to me. I hate that after the [redacted] life he endured, he FINALLY is able to accept people caring for him...and then he dies like 2 hours later. It so cruel! Oh and he first has to suffer the death of his sweet spren. Why?!!!

Plus, I've been intrigued by the Envisager for so long. We got one last little teasing mention of them, but I I really hope that's not the last we here.

I'm totally convinced (...secretly hoping..) he was super invested at the time of his death and in the next book he'll re-inhabit his creepy/grumpy soulcast statue (like Clod! lol)

BTW, Kutica, thank you for starting this thread. I needed a place to vent these emotions! ;)

On 1/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, Bort said:

I cheered when Teft finally forgave himself, and cried right afterwards. A beautiful ending for him, but I would have liked to have seen some of the non-self-hating Teft before we lost him.

I think we did.  I think he was part of the chorus of voices urging Kaladin onto the Fourth Ideal.  "Say [the Words], lad!  Do it!"

Ngl I did cry.

ok, so I was reading (well skimming through the pages) And I saw:

Teft.

Teft was dead.

Then I literally screamed and i speed read the part where Vyre (aka Moash) killed him with the shardblade. That’s when I just wanted to kill him!

His was a glorious end. I loved the respect that Brandon paid to this charachter... Dying, knowing that he is loved, with no regrets whatsoever. I usually do not cry reading books, this time I just couldn't help myself.

Goodbye sergeant and let me sai this (quoting another beautiful scene):

Teft will not be dead, as long as he lives in the hearts of readers