a scene in Dawnshard epilogue

BobbyZee

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding the Dawnshard novella, I just finished it an hour ago and it was as good as I expected it to be! However, there is one detail in the epilogue of Dawnshard that really caught my eye, and that is colors. There is a scene with Rysin in her cabin when she drinks tea, and suddenly - "...did this tea taste extra good? She inspected it, then glanced at the sunlight pouring through the porthole. Was it... brighter than usual? Why did the colors in her room look so exceptionally vivid all of a sudden?"
And then someone knocks on the door and Captain Drlwan enters the cabin.

I have read Warbreaker so I'm familiar with BioChroma but I still have Rhythm of War to get to. Doeas anyone have any solution for this hint that Sanderson placed here? And if there maybe is an explanation for this particular scene in Rhythm of War feel free to tell me to be patient and read RoW :)

Thanks in advance!

This is a side effect of being a Dawnshard and/or holding certain levels of Investiture:

The21stPotato

Can you tell us the equivalent Heightening she [Rysn] now has? She seems to be at least Third Heightening equivalent but I'm not sure how much else she has gained from holding a Dawnshard. Do ALL Dawnshards grant these Heightening-like effects?

Brandon Sanderson

All Dawnshards would grant the same effects in this regard.

As for specifics, I think I'll leave that as what is mentioned in the text, for now. (Sorry.)

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

tskyeguye

From Rysn's observations in the epilogue, it seems like she has a lot of the same aspects of a Fifth Heightening/Returned at the least. Is this because her Dawnshard is particularly connected to Endowment or because the effects of a certain level of Investment result in similar effects?

Brandon Sanderson

The latter.

Skrimyt

Interesting. So are actively Surgebinding Radiants or metal-burning Allomancers just not Invested enough to gain those passive effects, or do they not experience perfect pitch/color/etc. because their Investiture is just not as tightly bound to their Spiritweb as Endowment's Breaths or a Dawnshard would be?

Brandon Sanderson

Be aware that the two groups you mention don't generally hold much Investiture themselves, at least not in large quantities over time. More in Surgebinding. Almost none in Allomancy.

But RAFO to specifics.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)