Wings of Fire

This is a thread to talk all things Wings of Fire, Tui T. Sutherland’s YA book series about dragons! Spoilers ahead!

Who are your favorite characters? What are you hoping for/predicting in the next book?

So far, my favorite character is Sunny, with Fatespeaker and Cricket as close seconds. Unfortunately, Sunny doesn’t get much development outside of book 5, which disappoints me, and is also why book 5 is my favorite book of the series.

Also, what did you think about Dragonslayer? I quite liked it, but I think there were a few people I’ve seen who would have preferred getting book 14 first.

6 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Oh, there's another one coming?  Is there a release date for it yet?  

I feel like I was made aware of Dragonslayer at some point, but I never got around to it.  Was it good?

Yep! Book 14, March 2nd. The main character is going to be Snowfall, the icewing queen.

And, yeah, dragonslayer is good. It basically shows the first five books from the perspective of the humans.

Just now, JesterLavorre said:

Yep! Book 14, March 2nd. The main character is going to be Snowfall, the icewing queen.

And, yeah, dragonslayer is good. It basically shows the first five books from the perspective of the humans.

Ooh, back to the Pyrriha dragons?  Cool.

Interesting, that's not something I'd ever thought about.

17 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

This is a thread to talk all things Wings of Fire, Tui T. Sutherland’s YA book series about dragons! Spoilers ahead!

Who are your favorite characters? What are you hoping for/predicting in the next book?

So far, my favorite character is Sunny, with Fatespeaker and Cricket as close seconds. Unfortunately, Sunny doesn’t get much development outside of book 5, which disappoints me, and is also why book 5 is my favorite book of the series.

Also, what did you think about Dragonslayer? I quite liked it, but I think there were a few people I’ve seen who would have preferred getting book 14 first.

Yay! I like Glory best, I don't have any particular wishes for the next book, and I love Dragonslayer.

8 hours ago, Condensation said:

Yay! I like Glory best, I don't have any particular wishes for the next book, and I love Dragonslayer.

Glory’s great. She is a bit of a Mary Sue, but not so much it stops me from enjoying her character. And in her book, she’s really good. Only in later books does she start to annoy me slightly.

What age group would you recommend this series to? I haven’t read it myself, but my 7 year old is obsessed with all things dragons and fantasy and wants to branch out. He’s read (listened on audible to) the first 3 Harry Potter books, Brandon Mull’s Fablehaven, Dragonwatch, and Candyshop War series along with starting Five Kingdoms, and is currently actually reading the Magic Treehouse series finishing about one a day of those. Would this be a good series for him now or would it be better for him to wait? Also what about for a mom who accepts fantasy for all ages as appropriate personal reading and needs something to help her out of the post RoW book coma. 

1 hour ago, Philomath said:

What age group would you recommend this series to? I haven’t read it myself, but my 7 year old is obsessed with all things dragons and fantasy and wants to branch out. He’s read (listened on audible to) the first 3 Harry Potter books, Brandon Mull’s Fablehaven, Dragonwatch, and Candyshop War series along with starting Five Kingdoms, and is currently actually reading the Magic Treehouse series finishing about one a day of those. Would this be a good series for him now or would it be better for him to wait? Also what about for a mom who accepts fantasy for all ages as appropriate personal reading and needs something to help her out of the post RoW book coma. 

This sounds good! Both for your son and you!

2 hours ago, Philomath said:

Ehhh... seven might be a little bit young for these.  The first five books are a dragon war, it gets pretty brutal in parts for a middle grade series.  It kind of depends, based on the kid.

1 minute ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Ehhh... seven might be a little bit young for these.  The first five books are a dragon war, it gets pretty brutal in parts for a middle grade series.  It kind of depends, based on the kid.

Well, he has read Fablehaven... which has the thing at the very end.

Oh, hey! I'm not the only teenager who enjoys Wings of Fire!

My favorite characters are Moon and Winter. (And literally all the characters from the second series)

Spoilers for book 10

Spoiler

Someone please tell me that they also think Moon should have chosen Winter.

Edit: @JesterLavorre I'm all for a wings of fire RP. When exactly would it be set?

Edited by Shard of Reading

14 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

Edit: @JesterLavorre I'm all for a wings of fire RP. When exactly would it be set?

I don’t know. Maybe during the war to avoid major spoilers for the ending of the first arc?

14 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

Someone please tell me that they also think Moon should have chosen Winter.

*takes deep breath*

Ok, so before book 10 I really liked Qibli. Then I actually had to be in his head. If I remember correctly (I usually skip this book on rereads), Qibli has a sort of impostor syndrome. He thinks he’s “not worthy” of all the good things he has. Now, I’ve read books that pull this off well. However, Qibli always just felt whiny to me. I do think him and Moon theoretically work well together, but his “I don’t deserve you” tone for the entire book makes me uncomfortable with that relationship.
Now onto Winter. Winter is great on his own. Not my favorite character, but after his book he’s actually a lot better. However, he doesn’t treat Moon well. He seems to have a crush on her, but he doesn’t do a good job of showing it. He’s regularly mean to her. Much like Qibli, I think Winter could be a good match for Moon, but not right now. He needs to work out some of his own issues first, and Moon just isn’t good at responding to him when he’s in a bad mood.

Qibli, on the other hand, is great with Winter. Qibli can read people well, and is able to take Winter’s bad side and roll with it. And he doesn’t see Winter as someone he “doesn’t deserve”.

So, for my conclusion: Moonbli Winterwatcher Winterbli

And now I feel like I need to go reread these books because I don’t remember this well enough to make a better argument.

Edit: The RP is here!

Edited by JesterLavorre

11 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

Blue is the best character in the series. Bumblebee is the third best.

Snudoooo!

Bumblebee’s adorable. :wub:
Also, have any of you read this WoF fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11756616/1/A-Wings-of-Fire-Story
It’s basically a parody making fun of WoF and fanfiction tropes. It’s really funny. :D

• 3 weeks later...