Cosmere RPG

Ixthos

Which would you prefer?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. A Cosmere (MMO) RPG set during Era 4, or a pen and paper Cosmere RPG that could take place during any era?

• Computer Cosmere RPG, single player and offline, set during Era 4 - exploring the Cosmere, visiting different worlds, but the number of worlds may be limited
    • MMO Cosmere RPG, Ear 4 as well, but now online, competing with or fight other players, who may use different magic systems, or teaming up to explore, but again, limited worlds
    • Pen and paper, any Era and any world - no computer graphics, just imagination, but any and all Cosmere worlds can be visited

I've mentioned a few times that I have never played tabletop RPGs before, but I think, if the Cosmere is ever made into an RPG, that would be a fun game to play.

I know we already have a few games, a Mistborn RPG, board games, etc., but I am referring to a Worldhopping game, where you can play as a character from any world who has travelled to any world, using magic from one planet on another, and teaming up with or fighting other characters. How cool would it be to play a game where you can pick a point in the Cosmere's history and play as period appropriate characters travelling from one planet to another, or remaining on your home planet and deal with local problems or other travellers? Or visit Silverlight to stop off and prepare for a trip to Sel, braving the dangers of its cognitive realm? Just after Dragonsteel when the shards first arrived at new planets and perpendicularities formed, Sadrial didn't yet exist, Honour hadn't been shattered and Surgebinding hadn't developed yet, and Sel still had two shards and Threnody still had magic? On a space station in Era 4, in the middle of a conflict between planets?

That would be cool - playing as one of several possible people or cosmere species, with period appropriate powers and cultures, when investiture was still something being discovered and when investiture was a fully developed science? I hope the Mistborn Adventure Game eventually becomes this.

What do you think? :-)

Edited by Ixthos
Added poll

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

I've mentioned a few times that I have never played tabletop RPGs before, but I think, if the Cosmere is ever made into an RPG, that would be a fun game to play.

I know we already have a few games, a Mistborn RPG, board games, etc., but I am referring to a Worldhopping game, where you can play as a character from any world who has travelled to any world, using magic from one planet on another, and teaming up with or fighting other characters. How cool would it be to play a game where you can pick a point in the Cosmere's history and play as period appropriate characters travelling from one planet to another, or remaining on your home planet and deal with local problems or other travellers? Or visit Silverlight to stop off and prepare for a trip to Sel, braving the dangers of its cognitive realm? Just after Dragonsteel when the shards first arrived at new planets and perpendicularities formed, Sadrial didn't yet exist, Honour hadn't been shattered and Surgebinding hadn't developed yet, and Sel still had two shards and Threnody still had magic? On a space station in Era 4, in the middle of a conflict between planets?

That would be cool - playing as one of several possible people or cosmere species, with period appropriate powers and cultures, when investiture was still something being discovered and when investiture was a fully developed science? I hope the Mistborn Adventure Game eventually becomes this.

Dude, nobody is going to say no to this. Even people who don't game will never say no to this.

8 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Dude, nobody is going to say no to this. Even people who don't game will never say no to this.

Fair enough :-P I wonder what the rules for levelling would be, or restrictions on using multiple magic systems? Oh! A game where you have to take part in the shattering, or you take up a shard! Reenacting events from the novels as a background character - being one of the Seers who fought the Koloss, or a Knight helping to evacuate Hearthstone! I hope if it does get turned into an RPG there is a little timeline with key setting changing events listed, so for example you can pick a period just after Silverlight is founded - so there is some setup there, but only a few things can be learnt or bought, assuming it does become a hub for worldhoppers - but before Scadrial was first changed. Or being able to pick a period after Endowment settled on Nalthis, but before Roshar experienced the final desolation, etc. in effect a chart where every event that changed the nature of each world is shown, so you know which parts of each planet book to look in to plan magic, cultures, events, and species for a period of play.

18 hours ago, Ixthos said:

wonder what the rules for levelling would be, or restrictions on using multiple magic systems?

How does this sound:

• During character creation, you can pick systems freely (with GM permission). However, buying new systems costs experience points (XP). You get some number at first level to use on magic systems.
  • Unlocking future magic systems during the game also has an XP cost, so it’s recommended to save up some XP if you plan on spikingnyourself/getting a spren bond. Alternatively, the GM can give the party a level up as they gain a new magic system, giving them enough XP for the system.
  • When you first unlock a magic system, it’s just the bare bones. Then, as you invest (pun intended) XP into the system, it gets more powerful/versatile. So you have to choose whether you want to be really good in one system or decent in multiple.

3 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

How does this sound:

• During character creation, you can pick systems freely (with GM permission). However, buying new systems costs experience points (XP). You get some number at first level to use on magic systems.
  • Unlocking future magic systems during the game also has an XP cost, so it’s recommended to save up some XP if you plan on spikingnyourself/getting a spren bond. Alternatively, the GM can give the party a level up as they gain a new magic system, giving them enough XP for the system.
  • When you first unlock a magic system, it’s just the bare bones. Then, as you invest (pun intended) XP into the system, it gets more powerful/versatile. So you have to choose whether you want to be really good in one system or decent in multiple.

I’d argue that in the Space Age you could literally pay for some systems (like Breath and Allomancy/Feruchemy). Others would require things like Charsima/Wisdom throws and having the correct attributes (Spren bonds).

13 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

You could probably get away with homebrewing this for Cogent RPG... It's a very freeform system, but effective.

That sounds like a cool idea :-) I'll look it up, though part of this would still require Brandon to give a little more info on the setting, including the types of Aethers. If he does though I think a community based game using that system would be cool :-)

5 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

How does this sound:

I like it :-) I wonder if it would be possible to also, while keeping it balanced, make unique rules for levelling up each system, such as the economic element of Breaths and the Oath progression of Knights Radiant? Or could levelling also apply to skill use of an ability, not just more power but more skill with a power, like Steelpush skill?

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I’d argue that in the Space Age you could literally pay for some systems (like Breath and Allomancy/Feruchemy). Others would require things like Charsima/Wisdom throws and having the correct attributes (Spren bonds).

You said it before I did :-P Good points - Brandon needs to give a table for prices and conversion rates!

12 hours ago, Elerosse said:

Reading through, I'd personally design it like D&D, with each magic system being a "class". Youd mostly have humans, but you could have Rosharan Humans, Nalthis Humans, etc. each with different abilities.

Interesting idea :-) though what would the rules be if, for example, a Nalthian at the third heightening gives their Breath to a Rosharan? Would the Rosharan then count as a Nalthis human and a Rosharan?

7 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Interesting idea :-) though what would the rules be if, for example, a Nalthian at the third heightening gives their Breath to a Rosharan? Would the Rosharan then count as a Nalthis human and a Rosharan?

I think my way would be easier, where you can buy in to any system, but your planet gives you perks. Ie. Nalthians are born with a breath, Scadrians can be born with a power, Rosharans have a much easier time bonding Spren, etc. 

I’d also consider physical differences when traveling. For example, I’d give Rosharans a minus to both stealth and dexterity on other worlds as their world has lower gravity and they’re taller. Also constitution, as Roshar has higher oxygen. (And it now occurs to me that Rosharans are really disadvantaged off-planet. Wonder how that will factor into the space age...)

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I think my way would be easier, where you can buy in to any system, but your planet gives you perks. Ie. Nalthians are born with a breath, Scadrians can be born with a power, Rosharans have a much easier time bonding Spren, etc. 

I’d also consider physical differences when traveling. For example, I’d give Rosharans a minus to both stealth and dexterity on other worlds as their world has lower gravity and they’re taller. Also constitution, as Roshar has higher oxygen. (And it now occurs to me that Rosharans are really disadvantaged off-planet. Wonder how that will factor into the space age...)

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose Windrunners and Skybreakers probably would have ways around that, though it also could be there is - before the conflict or even during it - trade with Scadrians to make use of weight affecting medallions.

4 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose Windrunners and Skybreakers probably would have ways around that, though it also could be there is - before the conflict or even during it - trade with Scadrians to make use of weight affecting medallions.

Very likely. Interplanetary smuggling ring! (Probably somehow led by Kelsier, assuming he survives to Era 4. Because we all know he would.)

2 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Very likely. Interplanetary smuggling ring! (Probably somehow led by Kelsier, assuming he survives to Era 4. Because we all know he would.)

Oooh! That would be cool! I like multiple factions and the complexities of politics during times of war (I'm hoping it also involves multiple planets each with multiple factions, so not just Scadrial vs Roshar, but some of Scadrial vs some of Scadrial vs some of Sel vs some of Sel vs Some of Sel vs some of Roshar vs ....)

Reviving this topic as I really want to discuss this again, but I didn't want to make a new topic when this one still exists. I added a poll as I think it would be interesting to see which everyone prefers - a computer RPG where you can visit and see the worlds, and if online play with or against others, but are limited to the worlds and magic systems programmed, or a pen and paper one, where you have the art from the book though no 3d setting, and can visit any world and use any magic system.

All 3 please!!

I think single player RPGs would be better in specific worlds, a Fallen empire RPG would be great or a Stormlight RPG... 

The MMO would definitely fit era 4 best probably...

Tabletop as you've stated would be cool to have for any era -- id be interested to see how alterations to the metallic arts would be dealt with though.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:58 AM, Ixthos said:

I've created homebrew subclasses for most of the magic systems for use in DnD

13 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

All 3 please!!

I think single player RPGs would be better in specific worlds, a Fallen empire RPG would be great or a Stormlight RPG... 

The MMO would definitely fit era 4 best probably...

Tabletop as you've stated would be cool to have for any era -- id be interested to see how alterations to the metallic arts would be dealt with though.

Agreed on all points. For the pen and paper one, I could see a type of series of books, each covering a world and running the season for it during a different era - so Roshar during the Desolations, during the False Desolation, during the Heirocracy (if you don't want Surgebinders but do what to explore Roshar as a normal human plus Shardblades and Plate), etc., or Scadrial during the Final Empire, or Era 2 (like Crafty Game's RPG, only with a twist I'll explain in the next paragraph), etc. and each covers the entirety of the planet or solar system, including the local Cognitive Realm. Each covers what powers, organisations, and characters one may interact with, and what is generally known about the Cosmere, so no widespread anti-lights before Roshar's current era, though perhaps characters could still "accidentally" discover it.

Then, have all the systems be compatible with each other, and have two other books - a Cognitive Realm book centred on Silverlight, but covering and connecting to each Cognitive Realm of each other world, and a timeline of how those eras relate. So you could have characters from one era of one world and those from another world corresponding to that same era, and would need both those other books, but this would let one run a game that features Silverlight and potentially interacting with other characters who have whatever form of longevity is common there. The last book would be Mistborn Era 4, covering space travel and the organisations that cover several planets, so it too would be a companion to the world books, but would also cover areas that only could be settled in Era 4, like bases in space, megastructures, etc.

1 hour ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

I've created homebrew subclasses for most of the magic systems for use in DnD

Sounds cool :) though how do you factor in the "physics" involved, or is that at the game master's discretion?