Wayne and Lift's Resonances

Tacitus

So it's speculated Lift's resonance is the ability to communicate. There's no primary theory for Wayne, but I believe that it's probably his abilities of imitation.

So, Lift (And, I guess, any edgedancer) has the surges of progression and abrasion. Wayne can store health and burn cadmium.

Progression- F-Gold

Abrasion- A-Bendalloy (I mean, they're called 'Sliders'. I realize that's not a HUGE connection, but then, their resonances aren't quite the same.)

So maybe (If Wayne's resonance IS his ability to imitate people) that's why they have similar resonances.

I just wondered the implications of this, with being able to guess at resonances between similar abilities.

(Sorry this posted twice, could someone remove one?)

Edited by Omi the Counselor
used to be cadmium instead of bendalloy

In case anyone's wondering, yes Twinborn are confirmed to have Resonances:

Ray745

You have stated that each Knights Radiant Order gets their own unique ability, for lack of a better word, due to the combination of their Surges. For instance, you have stated this ability for the Windrunners is strength of squires. My question - is this due to the Nahel bond, or just inherent in the Surges combining. Would a non-Radiant get these abilities from the Honorblades, or would they be out of luck due to no Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! The unique abilities have more to do with the powers interacting, same as how Twinborn will often manifest some odd side effects of the powers interacting. But there are limitations. For example, Jezrien didn't actually have any squires, as none of the Heralds did.

General Reddit 2016 (Oct. 4, 2016)

yulerule

Okay, so Twinborn have [resonances], but full Mistborn don't, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

yulerule

So then I assume that a nonmagical person, like someone who doesn't have magic, holding the Bands of Mourning will not have no perks.

Brandon Sanderson

I would say they would not.

yulerule

Will a Twinborn that's holding the Bands of Mourning still have their original perk?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

yulerule

Or, if a Ferring is holding the Bands, and they use just one ability, will they develop a perk, tied to the one second ability they are using?

Brandon Sanderson

The longer they use it, the more likely that this is to happen.

yulerule

Using Investiture a lot over a long period changes your Spiritweb. So what happens if a nonmagical uses the Bands for a while?

Brandon Sanderson

Same thing that would happen to someone else, um, it would have a definite effect on them. *laughter* It would change them, as... in similar ways. Not exactly the same, but in similar ways.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

Yes, that means Wayne does too, you sceptics

timi1993

What's [Wayne's] effect from his Twinborn abilities?

Brandon Sanderson

I don't think I've released that yet.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

Yes, that means Wax does too, we've seen it in the books. It's his reactive shielding from metal projectiles.

Argent

Have we seen the resonances of either Wax or Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, Wax is really good at sculpting bullets and things away from him.

Argent

The bubble.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah and things like this. This is playing with the fact that he is-- Let's just say that the abilities make this happen, and I’ll let you theorize on why, but it's just an enhancement to what he can do.

Argent

I might be wrong, but I thought you said it was because he was becoming a steel savant.*

Brandon Sanderson

A savant, yeah, definitely, but this is what this is coming from.

Argent

But being a savant has to do with being really good with one power--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

--and resonances--

Brandon Sanderson

Being a savant has to do with using Investiture a lot, and it's starting to permeate your soul. Like we've ta--

Argent

So he's more a savant with both of--

Brandon Sanderson

He's used them a lot, and they are changing his soul, and so the powers are morphing and changing. Just in slight, little ways. You're not gonna see a whole bunch. But you can imagine these two separate powers are kind of becoming one to him.

Argent

Yeah I can see that. And Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

So Wayne's is not as obvious. I'll go ahead and RAFO that right now.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016

*the Savantism was retconned fyi

Edited by Honorless

2 hours ago, Omi the Counselor said:

There's no primary theory for Wayne, but I believe that it's probably his abilities of imitation.

Brandon has said that this isn't the case:

Questioner

I have a question about Wayne, are his skills of taking another personality, is it his trait, or something magical?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not magical, he’s just really good at it.

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

Brandon has RAFO'd specifics about what Wayne's Resonance is but has told us that it's non-obvious. Truncated for length:

Argent

Yeah I can see that. And Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

So Wayne's is not as obvious. I'll go ahead and RAFO that right now.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

My theory on Wayne is that his Spiritual Restoration and Time Manipulation are working together to maintain his Age that is closer to his Objective Age rather than the Subjective time he's experienced through all the Time Bubbles.  A normal Slider that burns as much metal as regularly as Wayne does could potentially die of old age in the 40's.  Making matters worse, Bendalloy is toxic and WOB confirms the standard way to deal with that is to burn any excess off before you sleep, so even being prepared to Slide forces the average user burn metal and thus Lifespan each day.  Wayne has the option to instead use his Gold Reserves to heal the damage of the Heavy Metal Poisoning, assuming he rations his limited Gold Stores for that purpose (which I dont see evidence of).

TL;DR  Wayne is using a combination of the thematic abilities to Restore/"Preserve" his Spiritweb via F-Gold and his ability to manipulate Time to "reset" his age back to the objective Timeframe. 

45 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Okay but he's still not a Cadmium Allomancer. That's then why I flipped Slider and Pulser.

No worries, I figured that was it.  I just pointed it out because I think the OP just did the same things with the Metals.  They were making connection with Edgedancers to the name "Slider" rather than the specific metal, and Wayne is a Slider.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

No worries, I figured that was it.  I just pointed it out because I think the OP just did the same things with the Metals.  They were making connection with Edgedancers to the name "Slider" rather than the specific metal, and Wayne is a Slider.

Indeed. Well, it's sorted out properly now.

We have so little to go one as far as what actually is a resonance. Like Windrunners having more squires and Lightweavers having mnemonic abilities are the two confirmed ones. I think Sanderson's gone back and forth on Wax's steel bubble ability being savantism or resonance or being a savant in his resonance (see this WOB) I think a lot of the RAFOs are because he isn't really sure how it works yet. 

The best we get is "The idea of resonance is that two powers, combined, meld kind of into one single power." Sort of like Harmony out Ruin/Preservation. 

Surge resonances appear to be abstract and more deeply related to the oath's order as a whole as opposed to just a simple interaction between the two forces they control. In cosmere terms, much more of a Spiritual interaction than a Physical one.  Like, being able to share your power with more people isn't a logical jump from the interaction between gravity and attraction. Maybe it has to do with how different forms of investiture are related to different Spiritual properties (connection/identity/fortune/etc.)?

But if the steel bubble is a resonance, it's more a new way to apply power than a spiritual perk. More like how Shallan can give weight to her illusions (Transformation/Illumination). If so, then maybe compounding is a sort of resonance. 

If it's a Spitural thing for all resonances, then Wayne's resonance is probably something to with his imitation (I can see bloodmaking being connected to identity). If it's a Physical thing, then it's probably something like filling them way faster (maybe the same rate as if he were in a time bubble) or maybe having better control over tapping them. 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:33 AM, Quantus said:

My theory on Wayne is that his Spiritual Restoration and Time Manipulation are working together to maintain his Age that is closer to his Objective Age rather than the Subjective time he's experienced through all the Time Bubbles.  A normal Slider that burns as much metal as regularly as Wayne does could potentially die of old age in the 40's.  Making matters worse, Bendalloy is toxic and WOB confirms the standard way to deal with that is to burn any excess off before you sleep, so even being prepared to Slide forces the average user burn metal and thus Lifespan each day.  Wayne has the option to instead use his Gold Reserves to heal the damage of the Heavy Metal Poisoning, assuming he rations his limited Gold Stores for that purpose (which I dont see evidence of).

TL;DR  Wayne is using a combination of the thematic abilities to Restore/"Preserve" his Spiritweb via F-Gold and his ability to manipulate Time to "reset" his age back to the objective Timeframe. 

Is it confirmed that bendalloy and other metals like lead (which is in A-Pewter) are poisonous to humans in the age of Harmony? Someone mentioned to me in another thread that there's a WoB confirming this.

2 hours ago, LordFlea said:

Is it confirmed that bendalloy and other metals like lead (which is in A-Pewter) are poisonous to humans in the age of Harmony? Someone mentioned to me in another thread that there's a WoB confirming this.

Here are the two relevant WOB's that I know of, one that confirm it was an issue even back in era1, and another that burning the metals off is effective to prevent metal poisoning.  The latter is from 2016 and still talks about it as a current issue, so I assume it hasnt changed been affected by Harmony. 

Brandon Sanderson

Metal vials. People may wonder why Allomancers use them. Why ingest only small bits of metal, which could run out on you? There are a couple of reasons for this.

First off, you don't want to eat too much metal because, simply put, it's poisonous. Kelsier talks a little bit about this in book one, and it's given token nods from characters throughout the series. I don't do a whole lot with it–dying from metal poisoning isn't the type of extended disease you tend to deal with in a novel that only covers a few months time, like this one.

The second reason for metal vials is more simple. Allomancers with the right powers can Push or Pull on sources of metal–the larger the metal source, the harder the Allomancer can Push on it. So, little flakes of metal make a terrible Anchor, and so if you're caught wearing your vials, you aren't giving much of an advantage to your enemies.

The Well of Ascension Annotations (Sept. 12, 2007)

Questioner

Aluminum, when you burn aluminum, does it actually destroy the metals or just take away their power?

Brandon Sanderson

It destroys the metals.

Questioner

Same with chromium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Questioner

So it actually gets rid of the metals?

Brandon Sanderson

It actually trans--  It does a--  matter, energy, investiture are the same things in the cosmere.  You have some sort of transfer happening relating to those things.

Questioner

The question sort of relates to metal poisoning--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you would not get metal poisoning after that.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)