I am of existance.

2EmLee2

2 hours ago, Enter a username said:

There are 16 possible compounders, not including godmetals. Out of those 16, I count 3 that would be guaranteed to win against a Radiant (not counting the base powers), assuming the user has enough metal and the Radiant doesn't just fly away or something. (And I mean guaranteed. A few of these could realistically defeat a Radiant, but still have a chance at losing.)

Hide contents

Iron (weight): No. The only combat situation I can think of where this would help is if you're sitting on your opponent, or something like that.

Steel (speed): Yes. What good is being Radiant if your opponent can break your armor, put it back together, put it on, cut your head off, and write a book before you can even swing your weapon once?

Tin (senses): No. At best, this compounder would have the Spook-like ability to know what's happening around them by sound alone. At worst, They'd be curled up on the ground, paralyzed by the kind of sensory overload is bound to bring.

Pewter (strength): No. While this compounder would have a distinct advantage, it would just take one well-aimed strike from a Shardblade to end them.

Zinc (mental speed): No. Zinc compounding would give them an advantage, they're still limited by the speed, strength, and endurance of their body.

Brass (warmth): No. Dying of heat stroke isn't helping you in any way.

Copper (memories): No. This might help you remember exactly what your enemy looks like, but it has no real combat application.

Bronze (wakefulness): No. Being able to stay awake longer than your opponent doesn't help much if you're being attacked right now.

Chromium (fortune): Yes. If you're in any danger at all, effectively infinite luck will get you out of it. If a Radiant is attacking you, then the ground will collapse beneath their feet or their Stormlight will be eaten by a larkin or a nearby Nale will find them guilty of attempted murder and execute them on the spot.

Nicrosil (Investiture): No. You might become the most powerful Nicroburst the Cosmere has ever seen, but I'm not counting individual powers and I'm not even sure what nicrosil would do to Stormlight.

Aluminum (identity): No. Like copper, I doubt that aluminum compounding has any real combat applications.

Duralumin (Connection): No. See above.

Cadmium (breath): No. Unless your opponent has the attention span of me, "look how long I can hold my breath" isn't helping.

Bendalloy (calories): No. This has the combat applications of some combination of iron and cadmium.

Gold (health): Yes. If it's impossible to even scratch someone, good luck killing them.

Electrum (determination): No. See Alcatraz Smedry's popsicle metaphor for reference.

Reveal hidden contents

Why did I do this, again?

(Spoilered for size)

Good list but I think you might be underestimating some of them.

Iron with near infinite mass comes with near infinitely strong muscle and bone so get punched by one of these and they may shatter both you and your plate, and if you have any metal on you they might be able to pull you back over and over.

Tin might be able to hit the Radiant with lethal force from very far away without being detected in the dark. Not for a toe to toe confrontation. Tin-F combinations with other metals will provide other senses that could increase their covert attack and evasion ability. 

Pewter paired with some other allomantic metal could provide additional advantages like health with gold.

Nicrosil turn the Radiant into a radiant bomb by causing instant unexpected stormlight burst (worse while wearing plate) which might cause an explosion in and around the Radiant. On the other side a Radiant with a nicorburst ally could depend on sudden boosts in power. Twin Soulbearer with other allomantic metals and you could have Feruchemical bursts of Allomantic powers. Steel pushes on a Feruchemical scale(greater than Duralumin boost) with metal perception into trace metals nearby. Store every pewter enhanced ability for feruchemical tapping on demand (health, strength, balance, reflexes, durability, wakefulness). Name an allomantic ability and soulbearers can use it Feruchemically.

Aluminum savants can become immune to invested attacks while being potentially resistant to and heal from shardblades so highly trained might be very effective. walk through a division attack, laugh at an ineffective gravity lash and so on with external stormlight attacks. Armed and armored with aluminum might be a toe to toe contender. I suspect that aluminum compounders might be Like Scadrian forgers with the ability to store then tap identities which have virtually any ability or skill they have come across.

Edited by BenduLuke

On 3/18/2021 at 2:36 PM, BenduLuke said:

Good list but I think you might be underestimating some of them.

Like I said, this was a list of guaranteed victories, not necessarily likely victories.

Pewter paired with some other allomantic metal could provide additional advantages like health with gold.

Nicrosil turn the Radiant into a radiant bomb by causing instant unexpected stormlight burst (worse while wearing plate) which might cause an explosion in and around the Radiant. On the other side a Radiant with a nicorburst ally could depend on sudden boosts in power. Twin Soulbearer with other allomantic metals and you could have Feruchemical bursts of Allomantic powers. Steel pushes on a Feruchemical scale(greater than Duralumin boost) with metal perception into trace metals nearby. Store every pewter enhanced ability for feruchemical tapping on demand (health, strength, balance, reflexes, durability, wakefulness). Name an allomantic ability and soulbearers can use it Feruchemically.

Aluminum savants can become immune to invested attacks while being potentially resistant to and heal from shardblades so highly trained might be very effective. walk through a division attack, laugh at an ineffective gravity lash and so on with external stormlight attacks. Armed and armored with aluminum might be a toe to toe contender. I suspect that aluminum compounders might be Like Scadrian forgers with the ability to store then tap identities which have virtually any ability or skill they have come across.

Like I also said, the list only took into account the compounding effects themselves, not the individual powers.

Iron with near infinite mass comes with near infinitely strong muscle and bone so get punched by one of these and they may shatter both you and your plate, and if you have any metal on you they might be able to pull you back over and over.

I don't think that's how that works. It does increase your mass, but I'm pretty sure that Wax said that it didn't add any stopping power.

19 hours ago, Enter a username said:

Like I said, this was a list of guaranteed victories, not necessarily likely victories.

Like I also said, the list only took into account the compounding effects themselves, not the individual powers.

I don't think that's how that works. It does increase your mass, but I'm pretty sure that Wax said that it didn't add any stopping power.

You are right that both Wax and Brandon said increased weight doesn't increase stopping power, but for the most part there are very few examples of Wax or Sazed using Iron to any extreme level so that may be because of experience. That is at least partially contradicted by Wax crashing through a floor with no cuts, scrapes, or splinters on his exposed skin and since that was a one time occurrence he may not have realized that in extreme cases there is some affect. He also noted that his bone structure and muscle strength seemed to increase to handle his increased weight which is another indication of potentially increased resistance. Perhaps different components of the body increase density at different rates. Bones already start at twice the density of tissue which is about 1 1/2 times denser than water and water may not increase density at all since water is water but muscle and bone can increase density through exercise. By the rules of comounding Iron can achieve near unlimited density and thus weight, but Wax wasn't a compounder and it took him thousands of hours to reach being able to tap building mass where a compounder could achieve that in minutes to hours or maybe days depending. Even if for some inexplicable reason piercing attacks are always equally effective the near infinite mass and the strength it provides; skeletal, muscle, and allomantic, could be augmented by Iron armor acting as their metal mind which itself would provide piercing protection.

Yes I saw you were focused on compounding affects, but I wanted to introduce the Idea that there are instances where twinning could produce equally spectacular results or in some cases more spectacular results. I feel this is an aspect which is often overlooked and undervalued nor is compounding often given its full due so I certainly appreciate you list.

Perhaps there are other compounding effects that are not immediately obvious that would guarantee victory as well.

• 4 weeks later...