What's some interesting lore surrounding the Final Empire?

Cheyenne Sedai

For the second episode of the Worldhoppers Podcast, (the non spoiler discussion avoiding the rest of the Cosmere and the last two books of era 1) I would like to bring some fun facts regarding the lore of the Final Empire. What were some popular theories before the next book was published? Is there anything interesting surrounding that time? Any other facts in the style of the ones Drew from Inking out Loud brings to the end of their Wheel of Time episodes? (If you have some for the other Mistborn books, they're welcome, and I'll bring them up when we get there)

Spoiler bits of lore are also welcome for our full spoiler discussion.

Edited by Cheyenne Sedai

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Sedai said:

For the second episode of the Worldhoppers Podcast, (the non spoiler discussion avoiding the rest of the Cosmere and the last two books of era 1) I would like to bring some fun facts regarding the lore of the Final Empire. What were some popular theories before the next book was published? Is there anything interesting surrounding that time? Any other facts in the style of the ones Drew from Inking out Loud brings to the end of their Wheel of Time episodes? (If you have some for the other Mistborn books, they're welcome, and I'll bring them up when we get there)

Check Brandon’s annotations. Those were quite interesting.

Oh there's a lot. The planet was (and is still) mostly empty, with only the regions near the poles inhabited. The north pole being where the Final Empire was located. At the edge of the Final Empire, near the Burnlands, people were far enough from the influence of the Lord Ruler and his Steel Ministry for better technology (which they desperately needed to survive). Aside from petty kingdoms, skaa refugees and rebels, these areas were also full of Koloss and Mistwraiths. Occasionally the Ministry dispatched soldiers near the border to break up successful congregations of escapees.

14 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier was from the Western Dominance. Central and Western Dominance’s have a French-like language. Northern tends to be more Germanic. In-world Kelsier’s name is pronounced similarly to the RL Olivier. (Ie. Kel-see-ay, kind of.)

that debate about pronunciation. But its a nice piece of lore. I assumed he would be from the central dominance

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Sedai said:

I know. That's why I say that. It's *that* debate. I know it's the pronunciation in world, but that Brandon doesn't use it. Its strange. I've never seen something else like that before.

I actually do pronounce it that way now. It took work, but I find I prefer it. It adds to the ‘flavor’ if that makes sense. It also makes it even more unique than it already is. 

I have an aluminum hat theory that the difference is so that Brandon can have Kell appear in another series, but with his name spelled phonetically so as to obscure who he is. But it’s more likely just one of those random things.

9 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I actually do pronounce it that way now. It took work, but I find I prefer it. It adds to the ‘flavor’ if that makes sense. It also makes it even more unique than it already is. 

I have an aluminum hat theory that the difference is so that Brandon can have Kell appear in another series, but with his name spelled phonetically so as to obscure who he is. But it’s more likely just one of those random things.

That's an interesting theory. I'd like to see where it goes.

Since the first Mistborn book I read was Alloy of Law, I kept expecting Vin to start using feruchemy through out the first series. The Lord Ruler is lazy and un-creative in his Magic. I think he subconsciously wanted someone to come along and kill him, but was afraid to let go.

44 minutes ago, Cheyenne Sedai said:

I'd never met anyone who started with Alloy of Law. Interesting

Let me correct that. My first Mistborn book was Alloy of Law. I first read Brandon in Wheel of Time. By the time I found Alloy of Law I had read Elantris, and was Reading the Reconers. I think I noticed Alloy of Law because it was near the Safe Hold series by David Weber (Off Armageddon reef). i was a L'amour fan so the western theme intrigued me. I think I read Way of Kings after binging Mistborn just before shadows of self came out. My favorite character is probably Lyft, followed by Kaladin, then Shallon. I would like to see more Shai as well. Wax and Wayne are just fun to read, so I wonder where their story will go. I really wonder what 3rd Gen Mistborn will do.

Right now Brandon is one of my favorite authors. Card and Modesitt rounding out the top 3. I love just about everything he writes, and appreciate his writing classes online. I hope to one day attend his in person classes down at BYU.