This is hilarious! I sorta feel that Rayse might have faired better in a fashion contest...but TOdium....just no. Does he still wear Vargo's clothes? (How does that even work?)

Something I missed in RoW was more interactions between Dal and Ado. I think there was only one or two scened, and the one where the say goodbye before the Shadesmar departure, was so sad (but so good)! I really would have enjoyed some more perspective on their relationship from Dalinar's perspective. We know about Adolin's feelings towards his dad (a "seething knot" is a great analogy), but is Dal really as disappointed as he acts? Because if his is....What is wrong with him? Can he really be so blind? Adolin's the best! (we all know the truth).

I hope the next book brings them together for a significant amount of time, so they can repair their relationship. The thought of Dalinar fighting TOdium's champion while still thinking Ado hasn't "earned" being a Radiant (and with Ado harboring the deep hate) would just break my heart. 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:49 PM, GroundPetrel said:

I am also praying that we get to see Adolin setting up the "perfect" first date for Rlain and Renarin, but if we don't get that, I know what I'll be doing for fanfic, lol.  

I would absolutely read this!

On 1/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, GroundPetrel said:

TOdium: *takes one look* "...well storms, I may as well just surrender now.  I'm never going to look that good!" 

Alternatively: "Almighty, Dalinar, you look amazing. I'm going to really go all-out to win your soul so I can spread this epic fashion sense to the rest of the cosmere. Who needs my previous plans when you've got -" *waves at him* "THIS going on?" :P

7 hours ago, PleatherDuster said:

Does he still wear Vargo's clothes? (How does that even work?)

He can now appear however he wants to as an avatar, I'd think, cause we know Rayse did that - he appeared as a human to the humans and a singer to the singers, to make him more relatable - so he could wear whatever he wants, I guess.

Third possible crack ending: Taravangian sees Dalinar rocking that outfit and instantly postpones the duel for a day so he can think up something equally cool to wear. (In the end he can't live up to Adolin's glamour, even with all the power of a Shard.)

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

I would absolutely read this!

Bridge Four offers to cater because they picked some tricks off of Numuhukuakiaki'aialunamor in their spare time.  Adolin spends the entire affair hiding badly behind a large tapestry and directing the wait staff with obsessive care (but being sure to tip heavily, because he's not a savage, if people have to tolerate him at his most off-kilter he's going to compensate them for it, storm it) and everybody just sort of pretends he isn't there. 

Lift drops in about halfway through, steals some of the food, and is chased away by Adolin.  This is something that the happy couple and possibly Bridge Four organized to get Adolin out of the storming restaurant.  It works fabulously.  

Cue zany adventure involving Lift, Adolin, Maya, and a rainbow pirate Mistborn crudely stapled into a makeshift body that results in a series of duels, Adolin and

Spoiler

Kelsier

teaching Lift how to look as fabulous as she is awesome, a really storming beautiful hat, and Shallan and Adolin getting into a custody battle with

Spoiler

Kelsier

over who is allowed to adopt Lift, which gets referred to Jasnah who refuses to have anything to do with it so they have to go to Nale to adjudicate but he's already busy with a case involving Vasher, Szeth, and Vivenna squabbling over Nightblood, so Adolin goes to Kaladin for help but Shallan refuses to allow this because this would help Kaladin evade the 10,000+ young women who want Dr. Highmarshal Stormblessed to have a look at the oh so sore finger they're sure they bruised, and finally Dalinar tracks them all down with Hoid's help and

Spoiler

Kelsier

immediately gets into a fight with Hoid over several centuries' worth of personal drama and related nonsense. 

By the time TOdium shows up, half of the tower is a smoking ruin, the Windrunners and rogue shanay-im are evacuating people, and Adolin still looks absolutely fabulous.  

That's what I think is going to happen.  Prove me wrong.  

Edited by GroundPetrel

17 minutes ago, PleatherDuster said:

This is all I've ever wanted out of SLA! But I'll definitely need illustrations! Maybe full cover art for the rainbow pirate Misborn?

We already have a decent sketch of

Spoiler

Kelsier

with one eye spiked on the Coppermind IIRC.  

I'm a mediocre artist at best, but I can visualize it. 

Spoiler

Kelsier

with a coin in between his index and middle fingers on each hand, big pirate hat, with a feather, an Aviar on one shoulder, tie-dyed tunic and pants, rainbow mistcloak, and an eyepatch over a spike that's driven through one eye.  

Marsh standing behind him facepalming as

Spoiler

Kelsier

makes some overdramatic statement.  

Edited by GroundPetrel

I do hope he's a rainbow pirate because he's crazy queer and proud? :P (I think I need to ask you to use spoiler boxes for Mistborn content, though.)

21 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

This is something that the happy couple and possibly Bridge Four organized to get Adolin out of the storming restaurant.  It works fabulously.

THEY WOULD skajdhkj I can see it now...

Renarin: "...but Adolin's probably gonna hang around big-brothering the whole time, and I love him, but that sounds sorta, um, awkward?"

The Lopen, doing the thinksmart meme tap: "I know a girl, sure, we got this"

1 minute ago, AonEne said:

I do hope he's a rainbow pirate because he's crazy queer and proud? :P (I think I need to ask you to use spoiler boxes for Mistborn content, though.)

THEY WOULD skajdhkj I can see it now...

Renarin: "...but Adolin's probably gonna hang around big-brothering the whole time, and I love him, but that sounds sorta, um, awkward?"

The Lopen, doing the thinksmart meme tap: "I know a girl, sure, we got this"

XD I was honestly thinking on pure practical terms (GBs are stealing Investiture for Thaidakar per ROW, and Nalthian Investiture is pretty easy to access because worldhopping trade is big there) but yeah

Spoiler

Kelsier

strikes me as at least willing to experiment no matter where he ends up.  

LOL The Lopen and Lift teaming up to stop Adolin from being an obtrusively inobtrusive mess XD that's perfect.  

Just now, GroundPetrel said:

XD I was honestly thinking on pure practical terms (GBs are stealing Investiture for Thaidakar per ROW, and Nalthian Investiture is pretty easy to access because worldhopping trade is big there) but yeah

Hide contents

Kelsier

strikes me as at least willing to experiment no matter where he ends up.  

LOL The Lopen and Lift teaming up to stop Adolin from being an obtrusively inobtrusive mess XD that's perfect.  

*facepalms* Oh that's right we have literal rainbow magic in the cosmere. I am big dumb :P

14 minutes ago, AonEne said:

*facepalms* Oh that's right we have literal rainbow magic in the cosmere. I am big dumb :P

Now imagine Adolin as a fashion designer to every mage on Nalthis.  

"Look, this won't just look fabulous while tie-dyed, it'll look just as gorgeous when it's gray and drab!"  

My favorite Adolin moment is when he's first thrust into Shadesmar and is quietly thinking "oh rust oh crap oh rust oh crap i am useless none of my normal skills apply here." And then immediately starts supporting Kaladin through his mental breakdown.

It's actually a little sad, because I don't think he recognizes how valuable his ability to help and support others is. He spends so much time in Rhythm of War thinking how he's just a useless lighteyes, good for nothing but duels and fancy parties. I think Alethi values make it hard for him to appreciate the worth of his non-combat related talents.

Aight, listen, I love Adolin as much as the rest of you, but I don’t think it’s accurate to portray him as that much of a ‘perfect’ person. He brutally stabs sadeas through the eyeball if y’all forgot. His motives weren’t even super moral, it was essentially revenge

3 minutes ago, Dannex said:

His motives weren’t even super moral, it was essentially revenge.

I just suspect an “Adolin Trash Party” thread isn’t where to expect nuanced examinations rather than paeans.

Yes, people might be idealizing Adolin, but if they want to focus on the way a flawed human being supports friends and family rather than the ways he’s fallen short and even betrayed his own moral codes, I’m pretty sure that’s literally what this thread’s for.

Also, I don’t love anything as much as most of this thread seems to love Adolin, but his motive wasn’t just revenge. I suspect not even mostly, or it would have happened long before and been slower and more painful. His trigger was Sadeas’ unrepentant promise to do more of the same.

Killing Sadeas was a rational way to prevent a man who was above the law from following through with threats to the people Adolin loved. A utilitarian principle…just, you know, enacted in an un-thought-through moment of passion. Arguably, it was just as much an effort to support his loved ones as his more admirable actions.

8 hours ago, Kyn said:

I just suspect an “Adolin Trash Party” thread isn’t where to expect nuanced examinations rather than paeans.

I personally LOVE taking deep dives into the inner workings of Adolin storming Kholin. The more nuanced the better! ;)

8 hours ago, Dannex said:

Aight, listen, I love Adolin as much as the rest of you, but I don’t think it’s accurate to portray him as that much of a ‘perfect’ person

I can't speak for everyone, but like you, I enjoy him even more because he ISN'T perfect. I love the contrast of him being (or trying to be) outwardly perfect (oh that perfect hair, even Kal love's it), but inwardly never able to meet his own or other's (Dalinar's) expectations. The daddy agnst, the feelings of being stupid and useless, they all make me enjoy him even more. But it's mostly the clothes. 

8 hours ago, Kyn said:

Also, I don’t love anything as much as most of this thread seems to love Adolin, but his motive wasn’t just revenge. I suspect not even mostly, or it would have happened long before and been slower and more painful. His trigger was Sadeas’ unrepentant promise to do more of the same.

Yes, this. It wasn't a crime of passion. He was exhausted, overwhelmed, and pushed to the edge by a man that betrayed him, caused the deaths of thousands of his men, and was verbally assaulting him. It's honestly one of my favorite scenes, and I generally don't like the violent bits. So....this is a +1 in the Adolin column for me. -_-

8 minutes ago, PleatherDuster said:

It's honestly one of my favorite scenes, and I generally don't like the violent bits. So....this is a +1 in the Adolin column for me. -_-

Oh no, yeah, I love it. Sadeas was a piece of crem and Adolin was epic for killing him. I was just pointing out that it absolutely wasn’t legal, it was morally ambiguous, and it’s proof that our perfect ball of positivity has a darker side.

6 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Oh no, yeah, I love it. Sadeas was a piece of crem and Adolin was epic for killing him. I was just pointing out that it absolutely wasn’t legal, it was morally ambiguous, and it’s proof that our perfect ball of positivity has a darker side.

It's one of those things that would be despicable in real life, but reading Sanderson I suddenly find myself a fan of back-ally murder. These books aren't healthy for me lol.

10 hours ago, Dannex said:

Honestly, Sadeas walked into that one.  He spent months if not years insulting and demeaning Adolin, Renarin, and Dalinar to Adolin's face in an attempt to get a rise out of him, betrayed Dalinar and Adolin and eight thousand of their troops in one of the most vile and personal ways possible, then spent months rubbing it in in an attempt to get Adolin to lose it in public.  

Then Sadeas decided that a really smart idea would be to corner one of the most infamously badass people in the entire kingdom, who would probably be able to beat 3 shardbearers at once and was still kicking ass against 4 for a good half a minute or so, who'd just come out of seeing the apocalypse begin and his dad who he idolizes nearly die, and said to this guy, "I am going to continue betraying you and your family out of spite and I am going to make it my personal mission to destroy everyone you love even though there's an apocalypse going on and I really should reconsider my priorities".  

That is effectively committing suicide, in the same way that being a dwarf making rock jokes on Quarry Lane in Terry Pratchett's city of Ankh-Morpork is a form of suicide.