How could Notum's father be a deadeye?

LeahAstonished

Notum from OB C108:

The Stormfather created only a handful of children. All of these, save Sylphrena, were destroyed in the Recreance, becoming deadeyes. This loss stung the Stormfather, who didn’t create again for centuries. When he was finally moved to remake the honorspren, he created only ten more. My great-grandmother was among them; she created my grandfather, who created my father, who eventually created me.

Per this Notum's father was created after the Recreance.

Notum from RoW C36:

My own father is a deadeye, cared for in the fortress now.

How did this happen?

- Is this a Testament situation? I thought Syl was the first honorspren to bond a Radiant since the Recreance. Per this recent WoB, Moash "probably didn't attract any honorspren", let alone bond one, and that is the only candidate I can think of.

- Was he one of Ishar's failed experiments? Those seem to pull them out of the Cognitive Realm all together, not create deadeyes.

- Could there have been casualties in the honorspen's attempt to conquer Shadesmar?

- Is this an error and Captain Notum's father got confused with Captain Ico's father?

@LeahAstonished, you should probably put that in the typos and errors thread, it looks like a continuity error.

Although, it is Brandon, so there might be something more to it (looks at Mistborn).

Hmm... there's also the bit on the boat when Formless is referred to as "he", we don't really know whether that's an error or not, as we don't actually see Formless in this book.

Edited by Honorless

3 hours ago, Theoryspren said:

We know that Testament is a new deadeye. So perhaps a few honorspren or just Notum's father attempted to bond again after the recreance before now and his windrunner betrayed his oaths. Or it could just be a typo.

Possible, but if so, it sure seems like they would have been brought up in Adolin's trial.

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

you should probably put that in the typos and errors thread

I went ahead and added it there.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, ElMonoEstupendo said:

Resurrecting this thread to point out the other problem with Notum's father being a deadeye: all of the honorspren except Syl were bonded at the time of the Recreance. So, can a deadeye still do whatever the honorspren equivalent of "giving birth" is?

Notum's father is definitely post-Recreance, he gives a bit of family history in OB.

"This loss stung the Stormfather, who didn’t create again for centuries. When he was finally moved to remake the honorspren, he created only ten more. My great-grandmother was among them; she created my grandfather, who created my father, who eventually created me."

My guess is Brandon just mixed up Notum and Ico, but idk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Notum's father is definitely post-Recreance, he gives a bit of family history in OB.

My guess is Brandon just mixed up Notum and Ico, but idk.

Yeah I have to say, I tried to come up with a semi plausible in-world explanation like "maybe Notum just mean forefather!", but he gave his entire pedigree generation by generation from an honorspren by the Stormfather after the Recreance that began with his great-grandmother, so there's just no deadeyes in his family tree what with it being a single line for spren.

Meanwhile, Ico was another ship's captain from Oathbringer whose father was a deadeye from before the Recreance... Albeit a lightspren who had care of that deadeye father in his ship's hold. So it's not even just that Brandon "confused Notum with Ico", more like "Oops, he thought that bit about Ico's backstory was Notum's and as an honorspren deadeye, of course he would be in Lasting Integrity".

UInless a comical sidetrack dialogue were imagined as head-canon.

"Your father, Notum? Didn't you say you were the great-great-grandson of the Stormfather himself, of a line he started long after the Recreance, after the death of Honor?"

"Ah, well, I was thinking of this honorspren in Lasting Integrity who I spent a lot of time around while growing up."

"One you were as close to as your father?"

"Closer, even! He was more of a father to me than my so-called real father ever was!"

"Even though he'd been a deadeye since the Recreance four generations before you."

"Yes. My father was really, really distant, you see."

"..."

"Honorspren humor. It takes too long to explain to humans. Probably a bad time for it. It's because of the abuse I just endured as a captive. Anyway, about your deadeye fighting back-to-back with you against those humans..."